Ideas wanted.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wee has participated in a "Best Dressed Dog" contest the past couple of years that he's had his dog. It is coming up in a couple of weeks, and we don't have a good idea this year.

Last year, he was a wizard and the dog was a dragon. The year before, they were a pair of kings. His only idea so far this year is to be aliens, but I can't even come up with some unique way of making an alien outfit for the dog.

Ideas?

(and this is SOOOO far from actually important! lol)

KTMom91

Spray on hair color and a pair of really cool sunglasses for the dog. Maybe a helmet with a space weapon tucked in his belt or mini backpacks hanging like saddlebags, with freeze dried food for supplies peeking out.

KTMom91

With a mini radio tower on his tail, if it's long. Otherwise, attach it to the strap on the saddlebags of supplies.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
He could be Harry Potter and the dog could be Hedwig the owl...
He could be the Avatar and the dog could be the flying banshee...
He could be the Mad Hatter and the dog could be the White Rabbit...
Shrek and Donkey...
Sherriff Woody and Slinky Dog...
Cat and Dog (from Cats and Dogs 2)
....still thinking.

klmno

Oh- I was going to suggest Santa and his Rudolph but an alien....Hmmmm....I'm thinking along the lines of ET but can only think of sewing an outfit that has stuffing in it and antennae coming out somehow. Maybe you can modify an inexpensive Halloween costume. Or google it and I bet you can find some photos to get ideas from- there are some websites that show a lot of different kinds of dog "outfits".

KTMom91

Get two pairs of baby Fuggs (fake Uggs) so the dog has moon boots, if he'll wear them. Purple and green with touches of blue would make for a nice alien looking dog. by the way, the spray color will wash out.

KTMom91

I see the costume as a canine version of Marvin the Martian . Bright colors and a huge helmet with clunky boots.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hmmmm....

You know, in the movie "Men in Black" being a dog WAS the costume for the alien.

Maybe Wee could be "J" (aka Will Smith) with his cool black suit, black sunglasses and awesome alien gun and the dog could be, well, a dog. If you attach a little voice recorder inconspicuously to the dog's collar, he could "talk" to people and make comments from the movie...like "What are you looking at?" and "You humans don't understand us."

Just a thought...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL Mary you're good at this..............if my grands ever have trouble coming up with halloween costumes I know who to ask :rofl:

Halloween costumes are showing up in stores, may be cheaper to find one for the dog than making it lol

susiestar

Roll With It
Why not look through pics of various pokemon to see if any appeal and are doable? You don't have to tell him they are pokemon, of course.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
He's a coarse coat jack russel. Mostly white (well...supposed to be...in actuality he is usually varying shades of dirt brown...) with a large sandy spot across his shoulders and one on his head. Typical JRT markings. He's about 12" tall, and long, of course, with a bob tail. And his ears stick up most of the time, and they are fairly large.

With that longer, wiry hair, he is one of those dogs that's so ugly its cute. Think "Benji" scruffy. Someone told us once that he was absolutely adorable in a homeless, pathetic sort of way, and it fits.

Star*

call 911........call 911
He could go as Hagrid and you could make the pup a costume with 2 dog heads and he could be "fluffy".....(cerberus the 3 headed dog) one of the best costumes I've ever seen at a dog costume party.

Is there a theme to this ? Like recycling or any sponsors that would get a kick out of incorporating their business type into the mix?

I'm asking because I'm going to open a dog photography business soon - with props - and If you have any doubts - ask Mstang.....she gets pictures all the time.

I was going to suggest a bride a groom - but you have two boys.......
Since the pup is small.........

I like dressing your son up like a pharoh or a Mummy and wrapping the dog up in cheese cloth bandages - he could be a mummy too. some of the cheese cloth you could even put in craft junk called stiffy stuff - it's watered down elmers glue and then kinda rolled in dirt first for that "worn" look or you can dye it gray.

We did that one year for Dude and his beagle - it was hysterical.

The hat and suit for the dog? You make the size and then use the sticky stuff on it - then find some elastic to secure the "hat" and velcro for the mummy body (not wrap the cheesecloth on the dog)

Last edited:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The overall theme to the festival is honoring first responders (police, fire, paramedics, etc) and military folks.

The dog contest tends to be anything goes. And actually, the dog is the only one required to dress up, but Wee likes to dress up with the dog.

(FWIW, easy child 1's girlfriend started this. I made her a dress for a wedding and she wanted to make my little dog (who wears dresses when she's out in public because of her lack of hair) a matching dress, so, as a joke, I did, and she went and entered them in the dog contest in their matching gowns....

Ooooh. An idea just hit me....I wonder if Wee would forego the aliens and just be astronauts. I already have a silver lame jumpsuit and helmet that was difficult child 1's....could make the dog a matching suit and cut a hole in one of those big solid clear plastic balls to stick over his head....

difficult child 1 has an elvis costume around here somewhere, too.

donna723

You can actually buy all kinds of clothes and Halloween costumes for dogs and most are pretty reasonable. A small dog can fit into infants or toddler size clothes made for real kids too. My 28-pound Boston wears a Toddlers size 2. I saw one little dog that was wearing a dog-sized t-shirt and his owner had covered the t-shirt with blown-up purple balloons - he went to a Halloween party as a bunch of grapes!

TerryJ2

And actually, the dog is the only one required to dress up, but Wee likes to dress up with the dog.

That's the best way to win. ;)

When my kids were little, we used to enter the neighborhood parade and costume contest and always won. We had a borzoi (Russian wolfhound) and a collie and had lots of fun with-costumes. One yr, easy child was a medieval princess and the borzoi was a unicorn. Another yr, easy child was Little Red Riding Hood and the collie was the wolf, I sewed faux fur on top of her fur, and slid it up her tail, then stitched granny glasses into a granny hat with-elastic to make sure it all stayed on, and both easy child and the dog wore red capes.

Alien and astronaut costumes are really good costumes. You can also use a wagon and cover cardboard in aluminum foil and build a sort of space shuttle. Tape it to the wagon with-silver vent tape.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I kinda like the ghostbusters....
Or, he could take all 3 dogs and really do the fruit of the loom guys....
golly the possibilities are endless....can't wait to show him these.