IEP/IDEA Manuel for parents updated 2007

Sheila

http://www.advocacyinc.org/PDF/IDEAManual2007_Engcolor.pdf is an excellent resource. It's written by The Arc in Texas, but the vast majority of it is applicable throughout the US.

Keep in mind that and ARD is the IEP Committee or IEP meeting.

Table of Contents
An Open Letter to Parents & Students ....................................................................................................2
Words to Know.......................................................................................3
Laws, Rules and Regulations .......................................................................................................7
Education Records ...........................................................................9
FORM 1: How to Keep a Parent’s Notebook ...................................................11
FORM 2: Letter Requesting Records From School ....................................................12
FORM 3: Letter Requesting a Change in Your Child’s Records.....................................................13
A Parent’s Guide to the Special Education Process .......................................14
Step 1: Referral..................................................16
Step 2: Notice of Rights.....................................17
Step 3: Full and Individual Evaluation ........................................18
Is the Student Eligible for Special Education Under IDEA? .............................................19
Who Is Eligible for Which Programs? .........................................20
What Are Parent’s Rights During Evaluation? ...................................21
What Are Student’s Rights During Evaluation?.................................21
What Can I Do if I Think the School’s Evaluation is Incomplete?........................................22
What Can I Do if I Think the School’s Evaluation is Wrong?..............................................22
FORM 4: Letter Requesting Initial Evaluation........................................24
FORM 5: Letter Requesting Additional Testing ............................................25
FORM 6: Letter Requesting an Independent Evaluation..................................26
FORM 7: Letter Requesting Re-Evaluation ..............27
Step 4: The ARD Meeting ........................28
FORM 8A: Before the ARD Meeting: A Parent Checklist ...........................................30
Step 5: The IEP ..................................31
What is an IEP? ..................................31
When is an IEP Required?................................31
How is the IEP Developed? ..............................31
FORM 8B: At the ARD Meeting: A Parent Checklist...............45
Step 6: After the Meeting .........................................46
FORM 9: Letter Requesting Review and Revision of the IEP .............................................47
The Step You Hope You’ll Never Have to Take: Resolving Disagreements ..........................................48
What Do I Need to Know About Due Process Hearings?..............................................50
FORM 10: Letter Requesting Mediation ..................................54
FORM 11: Due Process Complaint Letter........................................55
Texas Special Education 56
State Agencies......................................56
Texas Disability Advocacy Organizations.............56
Regional Education Service Centers (ESCs).............................................58
Legal Assistance ...............................59
Advocacy, Inc .........................................60
The Arc of Texas ..........................61