IEP in Residential Treatment Center (RTC)

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by hamsterwheel, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamsterwheel

    hamsterwheel New Member

    Anyone know what the laws are on enforcing the IEP in Residential Treatment Center (RTC)? My difficult child's IEP has 30mins of counseling 1x a wk in her IEP and Residential Treatment Center (RTC) school says they can't provide counseling because it is supposed to come from the Residential Treatment Center (RTC)???

    Last I knew, any kid in every school across the country has access to a guidance counselor but she can't have one in residential??

    She is in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) because she needs EXTRA assistance, but is denied access. Does not make sense.
  2. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member

    Who runs the school?
    Is it part of the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) or a seperate entity?

    A guidence counselor does not (usually) provide special education counseling. What are her goals that are suppose to be addressed during that 30 minutes?

    Who is funding her stay in the Residential Treatment Center (RTC)? the school? insurance??
  3. Suz

    Suz (the future) MRS. GERE

    My difficult child's stay in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) was funded by his home school district and by County Mental Health. He had a fully functioning IEP, Special Education teacher, and the necessary accommodations required to help him through the school year. The following year he was moved to a group home, funded the same, and placed in a local public high school with his IEP, accommodations, etc. still in place.

    Rob's "guidance counselor" during his Residential Treatment Center (RTC) year was also his special education teacher. She acted as the link between the school district/Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and made sure that he was taking the right classes. He had therapy through his Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

  4. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member

    At Kanga's last Residential Treatment Center (RTC), the school was run by the local public school coop and they had to provide a social worker to meet her IEP minutes. The Residential Treatment Center (RTC)'s therapy was separate. Main reason is the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) had different goals than the school (which was more focused on school related issues). And the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) was not part of her IEP team.

    At current Residential Treatment Center (RTC), the school is part of the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) so while she doesn't get her "social work minutes" provided during the school day, they are provided by the same entity. Since the placement is 24/7 it doesn't matter when she gets the services.

    If your daughter is in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) as a private placement (i.e. your insurance is funding it or you are writing checks) and it is a private school, they do not have to honor the IEP. If it is a public school or her placement is funded - in whole or in part- by public money, then the IEP must be followed.

    With the amount of counseling minutes provided by an Residential Treatment Center (RTC), is there a reason you want them provided during the school day?

    Once your daughter is in high school, there should be someone at her home school that tracks her credits and makes sure she remains on track to graduate. (not the social/emotional kind of counseling but an important function )
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.