IEP meeting set for this Tuesday

K

Kjs

and I have no idea what to even talk about. been there done that so many times. I don't know what to ask for. He is smart, he has proven that on tests. He CAN behave, he CAN do homework and he CAN do it well. Just that it rarely happens.

He is an auditory learner. Very much so.

All he has now is use of a cool off pass when he gets upset. But with this they stick him in a little room alone.

They remove him when he is angry and stick him there. He is not hearing any of the teaching.

He has difficulty with his hand writing, most homework he does is on the computer. Class work is done in the class so no computer.

Don't know what to do any more. What do High Schools offer in terms of IEP?

smallworld

There is no one-size-fits all IEP for high school. That why it's called an Individualized Education Plan (with emphasis on individualized).

You should ask yourself what your difficult child needs to access his education.

To give you some ideas, my high school son has the following accommodations/services in his IEP:
Provided notes, outlines and instructions in writing
Provided use of visual and graphic organizers
Provided extended time for tests
Reduced workload in class and for homework
Allowed frequent breaks
Reduced distractions to the student in the classroom (preferential seating)
Alternative forms of assessment
Direct instruction in social skills
Break assignments into smaller chunks
Cued to pay attention to key points
Use of hands-on strategies
Use of rubrics and checklists

There's a lot more in my son's IEP, but I just wanted to give you some ideas of what a high school IEP could include.

Sheila

Can't add much to the above. IEPs in high school are no different than any other IEP requirement.

Consistent performance is not a strong suit for most kids with disorders.

Sounds as if he may benefit from an AlphaSmart due to his handwriting problems.

If you do not approve of the "little room," request an alternate location.

Let us know how it goes.