IEP Meeting tomorrow

EStephens

Tomorrow we have our IEP meeting for difficult child. And yes Ms Starbie i am bringing my parent on the month certificate and placing it in a see through pocket on my notebook.
We will be discussing having difficult child listed under Special Education without pull outs unless needed.
I'm a little nervous. These people mostly try, but a few Hoover with dramatic action.
Wish me luck.

T

TeDo

All body parts crossed. There is no reason that SpEd = pull outs unless absolutely necessary. I WOULD try to get some flexibility for resource room for help if HE wants it.

T

TeDo

An IEP is accommodations based on skill deficits. Most IEP's do not change curriculums as far as I know. The kids get the help they need to do the same curriculums as all the other kids. The only ones that I've ever seen get different curriculums were kids that, even with a lot of help, would not be able to do the "regular" work. That's my understanding anyway. I've never heard of an IAP. Make sure it is federally enforced like an IEP.

EStephens

Thank you Tedo I will. difficult child is a straight a student his problems arise with social situations and common sense.

EStephens

I hadn't either. This school seems to do things way different though. If I don't like it I can throw down and we can start from scratch.

B

Bunny

Will they give him an IEP is he is a straight A student? I know that all states are different, but I just told by easy child's school psycologist that regardless of a diagnosis, if his issues do not effect him in the classroom, they will do nothing for him. I hope you get what you want for him. Fingers and toes are crossed for you.

EStephens

Bunny I think that is why it is an IAP. I called the counselor and she said that in their district, difficult child does not qualify for IEP because he does not need education modifications, but he does need accommodations because he has so many stressors with dealing with people.
I am learning so much.

Has anyone taken their Aspie to an Occupational Therapist? We were recommended and ok'ed by difficult child's pediatrician to see about trying it for his oral fixation.

InsaneCdn

Lots and lots of Aspie's need - and benefit from - Occupational Therapist (OT).
I don't have an Aspie - but difficult child does need an Occupational Therapist (OT), and the Occupational Therapist (OT)'s office has... lots of Aspies and Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids.

T

TeDo

My difficult child 1 went to Occupational Therapist (OT) for a long time. If you can find a GOOD one that works with kids and has experience with a lot of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids, it would help tremendously. They can also help with some "stress relievers" to teach him to deal with stress. I would do it independently and ALSO have that added to the whatever-they-call-it.

My difficult child 1 didn't get any academic help but he still had an IEP for his behaviors in school as a whole. What happens when he gets stressed at school with the social situations? Those can be a basis for an IEP and can include all kinds of things. I have never heard of an IAP either but I agree, if there is ANYTHING you don't like about what they are proposing, tell them you're not satisfied and stop the meeting. Have they done an FBA?

Good luck and don't accept anything you don't 100% agree with.

EStephens

Tedo, when the world gets to hairy for difficult child, he is allowed to go to the counselor's office and get his box of "treasures". The counselor sets a timer for 5 minutes, and then he is to go back to class. If the counselor sees that he is still agitated, he can have another 5 minutes, or I get a call to let me know he is upset. (Truthfully, there is little in that school that goes down without my knowledge! The school has a super receptionist and she texts me everyday so I can stay in the loop about things. )
If he can't refocus, he is given small jobs around the office or gym. We have never been past that point but should he go there, I will come get him from school.
For minor classroom anxiety he chews mints or pencils.

T

TeDo

So let me get this straight. When he gets anxious (part of his disability) he goes to the gc's office for pretty much as long as it takes. And they're saying THAT doesn't interfere with his education? Is the gc's office in the classroom so he's not missing any class time or instruction or work time? Not being in class affects his education. It may not be affecting his actual grades but his "education" is being affected by his disability. It sounds like they need to reframe their thinking.

EStephens

Yes. He has only gone to her office twice this year so it hasn't been a huge issue. Should it become a big problem, we will rework the system.