IEP meeting yesterday

robinm1922

One day at a time
The IEP meeting overall was a success. difficult child doesn't qualify for and IEP at least not based on her neuropsychologist test, school psychologist says more testing would be needed, she does however qualify for a 504 due to emotional issues. I think for difficult child that is the best way to go, taking her out of classes with all her friends wouldn't have worked well anyway.

They were concerned enough to schedule the 504 meeting for tomorrow morning at 7:30. Two of the IEP people are the same people that review the 504 so it is looking really good! I am excited that they are so willing to help her out. difficult child will be at the meeting with me, which is important because she has to buy into what ever program they set. If she can pull it off she will go into 11th grade next year (also found out she can still pass the school year so all is not lost yet) and needs to have a plan in place. Worse case she will repeat 10th and go to summer school next summer and hopefully skip 11th. She can't do summer school this year but I will keep the summer completely open next year just in case!
Any thought on what to expect at the 504? The school seems very willing to work with us which I think is awesome, now I just hope the teachers are on board!
Wish me luck,
Robin

jal

Robin,

It's really good to see that your school is working so well with you. One thing to note in the difference between a 504 and an IEP is that the IEP gives you legal footing on holding the school to do what it says it will do for your child. A 504 does not. A 504 tends to be a consolation prize that the SD gives when they don't want to spend funds to provide services under an IEP. Under the 504, the onus will be on you to make sure the school is providing what they agreed to provide, but the fact is they really don't have to.

http://www.wrightslaw.com/howey/504.idea.htm

Here is a great link to Wright's law that explains the differences between an IEP and 504.

Good luck to you.

robinm1922

One day at a time
Hi Jal,

I had the 504 meeting this morning and they seemed to be very willing to work with both myself and difficult child. difficult child didn't qualify under the IEP because she was on grade level for one thing and way above for others. She was able to qualify under the 504 for the 504 and effective today has a nice plan in effect. It was explained to difficult child what she need to do in order to pass, now is the lets see how bad she wants it game!

I feel really good about this and will keep on top of it. Either way when she starts school next year she will have this in place.
I feel good about the team working on this as well. The accomodations they have made for her are fair and she was thrilled that she gets preferential seating, that is a huge issue with her. She gets so freaked out when the teachers make her sit in the front row that she can't focus, and for what ever reason they all put her there!
All in all I am happy just wish I had gone after this sooner. That seems to be my mantra this year "wish I had know or wish I had done it sooner".
Thanks for your help,
Robin

jal

Robin,

I am so glad it went well for you and it sounds like you have a cooperative SD behind you. I too am one of the few people that have had a extremely positive IEP and special placement experience with my school district. They have given us everything we have requested and beyond.

I had a co-worker once whose son had a 504 for ADD. Every year they would review the plan and the teachers all started off great, but as time went by the teachers started not holding up their end. The daily e-mail communication slacked and they weren't staying on task with-him. So as I mentioned in the end the onus came upon her to nudge the teachers along. Each SD is different and yours sounds very responsive and involved. Hopefully, this will be just what your daughter needs to help her along. Best of luck to you!