IEP signing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

flutterby

Fly away!
I didn't sign the IEP at the meeting, stating I would sign once the changes had been put in. I wasn't going to sign a copy with various handwritten notes. I want it typed up correctly.

How long do they have to get the revised IEP to me to sign? If I haven't signed it yet, are they still obligated to follow what we agreed to?

by the way, the meeting was 4/28.

I

iloveturtles

I haven't signed an IEP at the meeting for various reasons. Changes needing to be made. Wanting time to review. Etc.

My understanding is that until the IEP is signed and official the current IEP still is in place.

dadside

There may be something in state law or regs, but there seems to be nothing in federal law/regs requiring a parent's signature on the IEP. As for effectiveness, the IEP itself should specify when it is to be effective. So, getting a document in shape for you to sign seems to be an administrative nicety, for which I'd look for a week or so, including mail time. As a side note, at least one state is requiring all school districts therein to have the IEP process fully computerized, so a hard copy will be complete at the end of the meeting.

jal

In the past 3 years that my son has had an IEP, I have never, ever been asked to sign it, in either of his educational settings.

klmno

My experience has been the opposite of what the other posters said. I have always been pressured to sign the IEP at the meeting- although I normally refuse and do exactly what you did. I am told that difficult child either doesn't have an IEP or we are still on the old one until I sign and the IEP coordinator signs. I would call them and remind them, or ask for another IEP meeting, which they are required to give within a couple of weeks I think. It will be easier for them to get the revised IEP to you than have another meeting.

JJJ

Unless there is a change of placement, then they don't really need your signature. It stinks but at least in our state they only need parent's sig for (1) initial placement (2) assessments (3) change of placement

F

FlipFlops

Recently experienced something similar. My son had an incident that the school felt was NOT disability related. They called an MDR and we disagreed with them. On our forms you can sign but you have a spot to check disagree. I don't know if everyone's has that or not. Anyway, because it ended in disagreement we called a second MDR to re examine the facts. It still ended in disagreement. As it turns out, it does not matter at all if you disagree or not. They say at an ARD that it is majority rules. Not so at all. If an MDR ends in disagreement, favor goes to the school district. There were several procedural errors made in the process and we putting together a case to overturn the MDR ruling.

Status
Not open for further replies.