IEP Stuff

H

HaoZi

Got a call from the place that does the screening yesterday. I have a meeting with them on the 17th to go over paperwork, then there's a meeting at the school on the 25th, which I believe is the IEP meeting. They wanted to do it sooner but it was same day we go to neuropsychologist. I never did hear back from the advocate I talked to before Thanksgiving and I'm not even sure I can find her number again. They've started screening kiddo a little bit here and there, but as standardized tests are this week she didn't want to put too much on kiddo all at once.

They're not going to check for AS or NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) unless they have a red flag during the screening that says they need to look further. Since we finally got a neuropsychologist appointment I'm not overly concerned about that right now. All lines of communication are open between SpEd Svcs, SD, kiddo's therapist and case worker, teacher, school counselor, and principal. Right now it looks like the only ones NOT on board are kiddo's psychiatrist and pediatrician, but I don't think they're invited to the meeting anyway.

I explained to the woman from SpEd why I didn't put much stock in anything psychiatrist put in writing as a diagnosis, that I would have genetic testing results in March and about the upcoming neuropsychologist appointment, and that I would put more stock in those two and SpEd than I would what psychiatrist has to say on the matter since he didn't even think kiddo needed to be tested for anything.

Right now (excluding the docs) it sounds and feels like everyone is pretty much on board with getting kiddo a good IEP. When I said "You've seen how kiddo can be" the response from SpEd indicated to me that she has certainly seen the difficulties, and I let her know I've seen an anxiety upswing and she seemed to understand what that means in kids like ours. No skepticism whatsoever, just a "I know how it goes" kind of thing.

I'm not seeing/sensing anything I would consider a red flag that kiddo won't get an IEP. Any advice on specific questions or concerns I should have? Report cards go home today, too.

smallworld

What kind of diagnosis do you think your difficult child will get to qualify her for an IEP? Certain dxes -- like ADHD, anxiety and mood disorders -- require documentation from a medical doctor for the purposes of an IEP.

smallworld

I'm certainly not an expert -- and I hope others who are will chime in here -- but you should take a look at the regulations. Medical documentation may be needed. I was concerned when you said you didn't put stock in anything the psychiatrist put in writing as the diagnosis. I'm not sure that's something I would say to the school if you need medical documentation for an IEP.

maybe this is bad advice because if a kid needs and IEP, well, they need an IEP.

but i'm not so sure i wouldnt postpone the whole thing until you have all the documentation in hand.

you say you havent had the neuropsychologist evaluation yet? that report alone will take time to generate...they have to review the results and compile the report which should *include* reccomendations and educational strategies.

genetic testing can take ages.

i'd personally tread VERY carefully on an educational label like ED in a child with suspected spectrum/NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD)/ADHD type issues....that might have serious unintended reprecussions that you havent thought through, especially if it directs a placement decision. i'd probably only go forward if there was a very strong need for supports right now...the goals/objectives/mods may need to be tweaked when you figure out what her actual needs are--there may be hidden issues that you are unaware of that might explain whatever behaviors you are seeing.

at the very least i'd make it known you plan to revisit the iep as soon as you have all of your results.

H

HaoZi

Thank you for all your input. They do have the diagnosis's from psychiatrist and they know I don't think what he has down is the ONLY stuff going on. The school has actually put supports in for her since she got out of psychiatric hospital in October, and in fact suggested that we do an IEP for her and that they want to keep her mainstreamed as much as possible. They've seen very clearly her good days and her bad days, so nailing down additional diagnosis's that we suspect is more to find ways to help her better. I don't see her getting turned down for IEP. What is the best way to suggest that we can revisit the supports after the testing is done? We expect the genetic results back in early March, and even before psychiatric hospital the school counselor had suggested the full evaluation, which turns out to be the neuropsychologist testing that everyone here has suggested. They've been tweaking her supports as they go along, as so far it works fairly well unless she's having anxiety issues, which is when the thought processes go out of whack the most.

smallworld

The best way to revisit the supports after the testing is done is to call an IEP meeting. You as a parent have the right to call a meeting at any time.

the school counselor had suggested the full evaluation, which turns out to be the neuropsychologist testing that everyone here has suggested. They've been tweaking her supports as they go along, as so far it works fairly well unless she's having anxiety issues, which is when the thought processes go out of whack the most.

so the school is paying for the neuropsychologist evaluation? did you request a formal evaluation in writing? the school has very specific timelines to complete testing and provide you with written reports...i cant imagine a school wanting to go forward with a formal IEP without the results. (i assumed the neuropsch evaluation was something you were doing privately).

do you have a date set in stone?

I don't know, it just seems to me that without even the very basic of edu testing results like a WISC (including subscore breakdowns) it would be pretty hard to write a functional IEP...forget the diagnosis, you need to know what areas of ability/disability impact the educational process to make appropriate goals and objectives. there is most likely something that has a direct impact on behaviors.

and maybe i'm misunderstanding the whole thing (i try to pay attention since our girls seem very similar!)....but if the major "issue of the moment" boils down to behavior, maybe focus on a good BIP until you have the testing results--it sounds like they are informally working with you right now, which is great.

lisa3girls

I had to demand private testing to get my daughter properly diagnosed with NLD...it wasn't easy, but I demanded it writing. Wrightslaw is a really good online resources for your Special Education and 504 rights

H

HaoZi

The neuropsychologist testing is being done on our own, since I finally secured the referral from the insurance company (who also was upset that psychiatrist wouldn't refer her). School suggested it, said it would be helpful. They have a behavioral plan in place for her, as well as supports. The screening they're doing for the IEP is the stuff done by the sped svcs people. A lot of it does seem to be behavioral, but caused by her anxieties and other issues. I'm not sure if that clarifies or not. She reacts so atypically to most medications that it's absurd and I'm convinced there is more going on than the ODD that psychiatrist seems stuck on. Sped is pretty close to their deadline for testing now, since the request was made in October.