IEP today

DS3

Wish me luck. Going to go over the evaluation that they did (which varies from other outside testing). They did say he qualifies for an IEP and not a 504. Suggestion is to have him in speech therapy for 1/2 hour twice a week. He only goes for half a day, so I wasn't expecting anything too excessive. Which means that our insurance should cover an additional outside speech therapist.

I do have an advocate going with us. Since this is my first time doing anything of the sort, it shall be interesting.

So wish us luck. :) I'll let you know how we make out.

DS3

DS3

We made out well. They did qualify him for speech therapy. He'll be seen twice a week in half hour time intervals. Being that he only goes half a day, it's understandable. The completed document will be ready for me on Monday following the Thanksgiving break. Everyone was very nice and encouraging of everything I am doing for my son as well as how well he is doing. He has improved significantly since the start of the school year, and they are hoping to continue to see his progress through out the rest of the school year. There's no BIP since everything he does is considered Age Appropriate and they don't see the bad behavior at school that we see at home. I guess that's a good thing. So overall, made out well. When I have the document in hand I can probably add more in regards to specifics. But that's the low down for now. And we're good for another year!

JJJ

Glad it went so well!

I do find it odd that you did not walk out of the meeting with the document in hand. Please be sure to read over whatever they give you very carefully to ensure there were no 'misunderstandings'

T

TeDo

JJJ, I never walk out with a copy either. Our sd doesn't write one up until the meeting is over. All the "suggestions" they have for programming and accommodations are never in writing, it is always verbal at the meeting.

DS3, I am glad things went so well. Definitely read over every word when you do get the copy. Check it for ANY inconsistencies or contradictions to what was said at the meeting. I'm glad he qualified for the IEP. If anything should pop up later, it's easier to revise than it is to start when behaviors are already bad. Way to go Mom!!! You should be proud of yourself.

DS3

They asked me if I wanted the copy they had, or if I wanted the final copy which would be available monday. I did get a copy of the evaluation results. I just chose to get the final version instead of the rough draft to make sure I didn't confuse myself. Especially with my dizzy spells and what not lately. Just is going to be easier to have one copy right now. I will re-read it once I get it to ensure everything is correct. :)

JJJ

There is no reason that the school should not be handing you a copy of the IEP before you leave the meeting. If they are stuck in the dark ages and doing everything by hand at the meeting and typing it up later, ask for a photocopy of the handwritten version before you leave the meeting and then have them send you the 'clean' version when they type it up. Remember that your notes from the meeting can be included in the IEP as well (as parent input).

Our district uses EasyIEP which is loaded onto a laptop, teachers plug in their info before the meeting (current levels, draft goals, etc.) and then any changes can be made immediately and at the end, it is printed out. Guess I'm spoiled :)

T

TeDo

You absolutely are spoiled. No one brings a laptop to our meetings. Notes are by hand. Final copy is ready anywhere from 2 to 10 SCHOOL days later. I am soooooo jealous.

HMBgal

Glad it went so well!

I do find it odd that you did not walk out of the meeting with the document in hand. Please be sure to read over whatever they give you very carefully to ensure there were no 'misunderstandings'

Or changes. Read it verrrry carefully, check what boxes are marked, the specified minutes are correct, individual vs, group, etc.

Good luck and it sounds like your little person is going to have a successful school experience.

DS3

Or changes. Read it verrrry carefully, check what boxes are marked, the specified minutes are correct, individual vs, group, etc.

Good luck and it sounds like your little person is going to have a successful school experience.

Thanks. and I will. I just checked my email and should be getting my copy tomorrow. :)

DS3

Sorry it's taken a little bit to get back onto the computer. Everything looks like what we discussed. No surprise alterations or anything. So we're all set. He started his speech therapy this past week (he talked about going, and that he liked it). So all in all, it's all good. :) Couldn't have asked for better.

On a side note, I was asked to speak at a conference coming up in January. It's about keeping records in order, since I have this very thorough, detailed record on my son. I originally got the idea from the parent assessment that someone pointed me to on here, and then I altered it a bit. But I don't know who I should be talking to about copyright. Since some of the sections used are straight from the assessment that is provided on this forum. Any ideas?