IEP was hell but nothing like this!

buddy

I have pics and video. I am praying that the reason they have gone to the attorney is because they are scared for the psychologist. I asked Q in the video to tell the dog what happened and that is when he started telling the story... he thought that was funny to talk to the dog... How miserable it was to see him with his face sliding on the carpet to show Buddy where he got the owie...I can't tell you. I just said that was great telling the story. I only asked what happened first and if he said something I only repeated his words for confirmation....then I said and next what happened....or where was your body?? etc. He would say quietly into the camera... "help me" I would say.. well I wasn't there so I need you just to say what you remember. He asked after, did I do good telling the truth?? I said yes. He was telling the truth too because he said he pushed him and went back to do it again after they had him on the ground. He said mr sp ed told them TWICE to get off of him and he said he told them "I got this" That is not a sentence Q ever uses and as I told you he is very imitative. He says his wrists are feeling better. I didn't get it on tape and he never said it again but he had said they twisted his wrist. I have written down all the things he told me and cc'd them to the neuro, the home psychiatric and the law center.

I just worry that they are going to be ugly to me and to him just to intimidate me....of course I dont want that. It is very interesting that he is physically hugging me over and over. He is not usually like that. A hug here and there but he is not feeling safe. I told him that C (law advocate) and I are going to keep him safe and that we will try to find a place for him. He keeps saying ... can you fix it so I can go back on Friday? This kid just wants his routine. He never quits.

Ktllc

My Goodness!! I am so sorry. I give you both a big hug. I agree with everyone else: have a doctor document the huge red mark.
Do you think Q's private counselor, the one who helps him feel calm, could talk to Q about what happened? Any kid would be traumatized.... How is Q supposed to process all that???
J. I wish you guys could just come on a vacation to NC. Just forget it all for a couple days.
And yes: follow your attorney's lead.

pasajes4

They know they screwed up. I hope you took time to write down everything that was said when you spoke to those psychos.

S

Signorina

Buddy, I am do sorry you and Q are hurting and that your son is being treated so badly. I am furious on your behalf and I send you both my love & support. XO

StressedM0mma

Oh. Q is so brave. I would have been pounding doors down last night to get to those people! I hope that you both got some sleep last night. And, that today things begin to sort out.

buddy

Our sweet neuro just called again and asked to see Quinton in her office today (we were scheduled for next Tues). I told her I needed reassurance because of what the disability law person said. I also told her that the school nurse had called. Get this. Two days ago after the V Day party, Q got overstimulated as he always does at parties. So he was in his little private space/office and he got mad and hit his head on the wall (has done this on and off lately but he doesn't hurt himself so... I just monitor) and then he hit his head with his fist. So I was AT school at the time. They called to tell me that and that he now was saying he wanted to kill himself. I knew we were going to our psychiatric immediately and was sure that was triggering this. `Anyway he was fine and worked well with her..

never had any marks or complained of any headache.

Then, yesterday happened.

Now, this morning, she says....I just thought I'd call since so much is happening and so I wanted to remind you of head injury symptoms. Because you know he had marks but two days ago he was banging his own head.... UMMMM if you were worried about head injury, then you should call IMMEDIATELY not wait two days. She is going thru the symptoms and I said, ok thanks. She did say and then he got that little rug burn on the side of his face... HOW INTERESTING... before that it was from his glasses rubbing on his head a little. I never mentioned my theory so really???

She wanted to know how he was etc. I said sad. Nothing about him physically and she said to call a dr. if I was concerned. I didn't tell her they already had the pics and are seeing him today.

I had told the dr. and our home psychiatric that I was worried that they are going to try to paint a picture of him being aggressive all of the time and unmanagable to protect themselves......Both psychiatric and doctor called and said not to worry... plenty of evidence to show otherwise. psychiatric says he works with child protection A LOT (they are contracted to take on the child protection cases to support families along with the waivers like Q is on). He said he has never had a case where a disabled kid was taken out of a home for the protection of a normal mother. If I was some elderly person on a wheel chair or something, well that would be different. He said they can't mandate a change of placement because nothing has ever risen to the level of "serious bodily injury" nor has he ever had drugs or weapons. Those are the only times a change can be unilaterally made. There was a sub in the room when this happened. It is a man that last year I said I wanted to know when he was the sub and I would keep Q home. He told me Q was just a rude child and that I should never come to the room (this after I was CALLED to the room). Sounds like this guy was one of the ones to hold Q's hands behind his back.

Well, thanks for letting me vent on and on.... psychiatric also told me to journal how things are going these next few days. Q has been great. IN fact he his cleaning his room so we can put up a new exercise bike that had a digital counter on it so he can beat his scores like he loves to do for relaxation. I think it has MPH too.... He just keeps asking every time the phone rings, so can I go back to school by Friday????

Bless his heart.

InsaneCdn

The out-of-school team you have on your side (you and Q...) is absolutely AMAZING. Calls like that just have to lower your blood pressure a little bit. It doesn't change the "what now"... but you have been told that school shenanigans isn't going to mess up your home.

{{hugs}}
Suspense gets to me, too!

buddy

The out-of-school team you have on your side (you and Q...) is absolutely AMAZING. Calls like that just have to lower your blood pressure a little bit. It doesn't change the "what now"... but you have been told that school shenanigans isn't going to mess up your home.

{{hugs}}
Suspense gets to me, too!

YES, Exactly!

klmno

Wow. Just wow. That call from the sd sounded more like a CYA call and to get a feel whether or not you were going to pursue anything against them. Otherwise, they wouldn't waited 2 days, and still asked how he was doing.

exhausted

Buddy,
This all makes me sick. So much should have happened before they restrained him. When a sub is needed for a sp. ed. room, there should be a plan in place for kids who struggle with changes. Was that sub MANDT trained or certified to be involved in restraint? He should have not been involved at all. I don't see all the posts, but I have not like anything this place has done. Of course they are a** covering. Don't you bend to their diversions of "protecting you". The Sp. Ed teacher knows what happened was wrong, but the admin. will shut him down. I had this happen to me once and I was so bullied and scared for my own future.

I'm glad you have a team to support you. I would not hesitate to report this and to begin a lawsuit at both the district and mr. psycho!

Are there any charter schools there that specialize in kids with special needs?We have several really good ones that take Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids only. Wondered if they had them elsewhere I know Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is a hard one to get specialized service because each one is so different, but...Is there the possibility of homebound school until you find a good placement? They are legally responsible after 10 days of him being out(total for the school year). I would not want him in this district ever again. Your psychiatric or neuro could also write for this service.

I am thinking of you both. ((Hugs))

buddy

Thanks guys....
so here is the latest:
1. We went to the neurologist. She had printed out the pictures on 8 by 11 paper and it was so sickening to see (I had printed out little samples on regular paper and that was icky enough but on a good paper it was too real). She asked him to say what happened. He asked me to help and I said he can tell me what to do but he has to say in his words the truth. So he took his hands and said for me to grab them behind his back and pull up. She said how did you get that red mark and he showed her again how his face was on the floor and he said there was carpet there. She measured the bruise on the other side which we dont know if was from day one or two (though i saw nothing and he didn't complain of pain until after this incident but it is dark so hard to know if we all missed it). She took notes on all his words. etc. He has been very consistent on the details but has a hard time saying it clearly...but nothing he says contradicts each telling... just that he may say it all in different orders but it all fits together right.... Little details come out like his hands were so high that he put his face down to make stop it from hurting and that is when it got hurt.

Later Law Advocate asked mr sp ed by phone to tell her what he saw. He said that he got there and they each had his arms and he went down to his knees because he was fighting to get away. He said they had his arms behind him and over his head... pulled up so hard his head went down, get the picture? He said he told them to let go. (admin should, they are CPI trained and it is not allowed to do the holds once a person is on the ground, his job to call it off to avoid injury) He said he offered Q water and he went to his office with him and calmed.

OK even with our updated BIP, which did not add positive interventions, only this "crisis" plan which has really become the plan of choice... with the sub there the plan was not done.... not sure who decided not to do it...if the teacher didn't do it but called for psycho or if psycho just happened to be there for his time to do whatever work and Q says they were whispering (OMG HUGE trigger, they KNOW he gets scared he is in trouble when people talk around him like that... ) The sub...may have messed up not knowing the plan but the aides should have known (no one is mentioning them so not sure where they were yet) and psycho was part of developing the plan so where were the non verbal cues to calm??? I asked Q... did the teachers count down like mrs sp ed teacher does? and he said NO he was just mad and told me to get my stuff and get out... SO YES... much more should have been done... you can usually joke him out of being too loud. or show his schedule if it time to leave etc. They clearly escalated things and then the guy got totally angry when Q pushed him.

Neuro wants to do genetic testing just to make sure we have the full picture of everything for any future issues we can have the info if needed along with his other neuro documented conditions. She is still shocked he tested so low in language/communication.... I said why do you think he always answers yes, no and only discusses his topics?

So I got him a horse back riding session and while there school called. I was told not to take any calls unless we conferenced in the advocate so they called her too. They said, "well we are going to do two days of suspension. Now it is an assault but we are considering his issues here (trying to show how generous they are being) because you know district policy says we can do expulsion all the way down to five days... really it is three days because he was dismissed early the day of the incident. They wanted me to be sure to talk to him that he can't say he wants to push his teacher too (duh he was scared so he started saying he is going to push everyone.. he has never premeditated anything...ever... has always been talk talk talk... any aggression has been impulsive. I said, ok I am sure this will fix him all up for sure!

Then they asked if we had any quesitons and I got disconnected. Turns out law advocate did have questions and so I tried to call back but they kept losing me (I was out in the country on a farm so??)... she got details of the incident as I said above, she asked about the nurse's call, she said that Q is not safe in the school and we need to figure out what to do to keep psycho away from him permanently. She told ME that their acting like they were doing us a favor but only giving two days meant they were scared so she went for the kill. She said he has been to a doctor, there are pictures and this was an illegal restraint. It is her job to report that and his behaviors are related to his disability and they are just lucky he has a mom who gets it that the behaviors are not ok and wants to work on it but wants appropriate interventions and for him not to be triggered and certainly not to be injured.

She talked to the Special Education director before that call and was told that they did have a meeting with the attorney to see how they could handle this what they could do to Q... clearly they were told NOTHING except the suspension and to walk carefully because we have a case. Director said has mom heard from them yet? Law adv. said nope and by the way, there were marks.... sp ed director said WHAT??? We were told no injuries and only a little dot from his glasses. Law adv told her there were pics and a dr. visit..... so now they want the pics. Law advocate says not yet... just keep them. (I have them printed and automatic dates are on them)

They now want a meeting with the principal and herself...not just our coordinator, and not sure who else. I do NOT want the psychiatric there... I may have to hurt him myself (not really but what is the point... I don't want to see him)

She is asking that the meeting not be at the school but district office so it is off principal's turf...

Sounds like for the first time in twenty years of this advocate working in our district, the Dir. of Sp ed said, look if the sun program is not right for him we can find another placement..... she said they have NEVER said that straight out.

She said ok, they are running scared.

but of course my worry is now that mr psycho will know that he is really in deep doo doo he may try to press charges to pay back Q. Yes I know it wont go anywhere ultimately but it will really really hoover to go thru that. I am going to hope that it just doesn't go there. He should at the least be suspended himself and retrained and tested on CPI methods.... and the main part of that method is the P=prevention.... it is not to teach how to restrain someone... it is to reduce any incident so you never have to go there and if you do THEN there is a specific way to do it safely... and in this method for this kind of setting...never on the ground, for sure never face down and arms out to side and nothing on the back.

I know it was his choice to do the wrong thing but I am not someone who is out for blood....but I dont think he should be with vulnerable kids. For all I know the doctor is reporting him anyway. I didn't ask. Want to honestly not know. advocate and doctor are going to talk tomorrow. (turns out her hubby is advocates surgeon! advocate has a picture line and daily antibiotics for years due to some digestive disorder and she has ongoing treatment with him, small world right? so advocate already knew they had a son with autism)

I took Q to Chuckie Cheese... I just felt we needed some good time together.

T

TeDo

WOW!! I am really impressed with your advocate/lawyer. She is dynamite. Let her do what she does best. Psycho's future is not your responsibility nor is principal's. I have told you and will continue to tell you that psycho can try all he wants but with the testimony of the SpEd whoever that witnessed it and all the documentation you have on Q AND the fact that it is HIGHLY unlikely the school will back him up, you REALLY don't have anything to worry about. Psycho would be "committing suicide" if he even tried to turn this on Q. I LOVE the fact that they even lied to the higher-ups. THAT speaks volumes. If the higher-ups are smart, they will bend over backwards to make this right for Q. Even if psycho is dumb enough to try, NO prosecutor would touch the case much less file the charges.

Glad you did something to get away. Chuck E Cheese would do it for us too. That's where we'll have to go next time we're in town, huh? Breathe my dear Breathe!!!

buddy

New issues ... but in our favor...

the guy who did the cpi hold with psycho was the SUB! most likely NOT CPI certified. BIG BIG no no.

As the story comes together, Q tells little bits more... no one used the actual behavior plan at any point.... not even the crisis plan we just wrote.

WOW, no wonder they didn't do what they were acting like they were going to do...

susiestar

Roll With It
Wow! If this wasn't stuff we have seen happen I would think that this was some Lifetime movie about a school psychiatric abusing kids. THe psycho KNEW the sub couldn't touch Q in a restraint. The sub might not, and was probably just doing what psycho said. Boy has he earned that name. He sounds like the sp ed teacher who replaced the one we loved (a year after Wiz was out of her school). She just LOOOOVVVEEED restraining kids. There were a few she restrained for no reason at all.

Poor Q. I think Chuck E Cheese was a good idea.

I LOVE your advocate!!! I am glad that they lied to the district people because now the district people know hte big pile of koi they have to deal with. in my opinion the psycho should be fired and given a bad reference so he can NEVER work with kids again. That sort of behavior happens because you HATE the people you are there to help. It is all about power and control and hate, NOT about his job or helping anyone but himself.

You are doing a great job. Just keep breathing and do EXACTLY what the advocate tells you.

Ktllc

Wow, a lot is coming in the open! You have a good team surrounding you. Take it one step at a time and only worry about consequences that impact Q.
One day, I hope Q can realize how much you do for him. We sure see it!!

exhausted

Ok, good that things are coming out. Good that you took him to the horses and to Chuck's!

Don't believe for a moment that there will be much of a rift between school and district. That is not in the politics of a school system. They are in trouble together. BIP not followed, uncertified person involved in restraint, injury to a child, no plan in place for a trained sub (in a place where you have a kid that is easily triggered they need a consistant , and aware sub). They will have to circle their wagons. There will only be a firing if this psychiatric is not a newbie. He will have union protection and will cry self- defense (even if he doesn't press charges-which he will only do if he is A. dumb or B. advised to do by union.). It will take pressure from outside to get them to even pursue any disciplinary action. The exception is a district with many pending or past lawsuits-they tend to move into disciplinary action faster to save their tale ends. Keep the pressure coming-he sounds like an angry or burnt out human who should not be around kids. Noone is safe with him there.

Glad they are opening options for you, but is there anyway to get out of this district? Q's life will not be good anywhere he goes in the district because people talk.

Take care of yourself and Q. ((Hugs))