If I can find a neuropsychologist

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by geekparent, Sep 3, 2010.

  1. geekparent

    geekparent New Member

    If I locate a neuropsychologist, what exactly do I say to them when I make the call?

    Do I tell them that my difficult child has a diagnosis? I mean I don't want to get "blown off" because her psychiatrist, pediatrician and clinical psychologist are not the referring people. I think that's been part of my problem. "You're just the (uneducated, uniformed) mom, she has a diagnosis, so why are you calling us, lady?"

    How do I do this so that I can be taken seriously and get an appointment?
  2. Jena

    Jena New Member


    i'm a little confused as to why they'd blow you off. Whomever you got the number from just tell them upon calling that you were referred and if you found on your own than do that. Alot of this junk with our kids unfortunately is trial and erorr, from phone calls to advocating for them, to learning how to handle meetings at school. it's almost like relearning how to do things soo differently because in essence you are your child's voice.

    you have to be aggressive, at least that's what has worked for me. granted ppl school officials etc. say here comes the witch yet who cares...... i need what i need for difficult child and if i have to creep up your rear to get it than so be it.

    just make the call, be direct, tell them what it is you need which is an appointment. i wouldn't get too much into diagnosis myself on the phone, let them form their own opinions. that's what i did when we had our neuropsychologist evaluation. i said minimal other than symptoms.

    your going to do great!!! just pick up the phone and dont' take no for an answer!! those evaluations are good stuff, very insightful!

    post and let us know how the call goes........ GOOD LUCK!! :)
  3. Jena

    Jena New Member

    i just read your other post and you have great supports in place for difficult child it seems good for you!! i know it's soo hard working and taking care of kids like ours and their appts it's like a full time job in itself. why dont' you ask one of the treatment providers for a referral??? or if you have insurance go thru them. i've always found going thru insurance is alot harder though for some odd reason.
  4. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    Nobody referred me. I called up and said I wanted neuropsychologist testing, which he hadn't had before, and that I wanted to rule everything out (or in). I had no trouble getting an appointment. I recommend going to a university hospital for a neuropsychologist evaluation. They take 6-10 hours (broken up into seperate appointments).
  5. Marguerite

    Marguerite Active Member

    I posted at length on your other thread. I will try to not repeat myself. But basically you say (to the GP, the pediaitrician, the psychiatrist, the neuropsychologist and anyone else) the truth. I am desperate, I'm not going to be able to cope much longer. This is more than mere anxiety, more than just ADHD. It's not just bad behaviour or strategies put in place would have shown some change. We are desperate. I don't know what is wrong. I need your help to find out what is wrong and how to help her. We are wasting time trying to treat the symptoms and it's just not working."

    Truth from the heart has the best chance. Because when you speak such truth form the heart, you speak with passion and determination. That also is needed. Do not be fobbed off. Because if they fob you off, what is left for you to try? You can't carry on like this. You shouldn't have to.

    So get in there and say your piece. Fight for her, fight for yourself. The alternative is unacceptable.

    If you need help or support stiffening your spine (as I did) then come here. We can help, because we've been through it.

  6. confuzzled

    confuzzled Member

    i did NOT read your other thread yet....

    everyones opinion is probably different on whether you should offer up a diagnosis or not, but if i had to do it over again, i absolutely would not tell the neuropsychologist and let them come to their own conclusions. when asked why i wanted testing i would have used broad terms of SYMPTOMS....cant pay attention, meltdowns, handwriting difficulties, whatever, not specific labels.....i can only speak for us, but i'm comfortable in saying our neuropsychologist took the word of other doctors/psychs as gospel...and the wording of his report reflected that.

    just my .02

    by the way, nice to meet ya!
  7. geekparent

    geekparent New Member

    Ok, so any advice on what to do now?

    I called my last option for neuropsychologist and was told that insurance probably wouldn't pay for it. They'd be willing to do it, but insurance probably wouldn't pay. It's going to run a minimum of $2000 that we just don't have.

    I have called the other children's hospital in the area and got put off, really, I did. I got the whole "Well, why isn't this referral coming from her doctor?" spiel. I will try them again, it's been a few months, but I had no luck.

    I will also call the other children's hospital that's not in the area and see if I can get some help and not the run around. Of course, if insurance won't cover it, I don't know where else to look or what to do.
  8. Marguerite

    Marguerite Active Member

    How easily can you change GP and pediatrician? Or if it's not pediatrician (it is for us) then child psychiatrist.

    Look at the pathway - GP, then child specialist, then neuropsychologist. In your case that pathway is blocked. Why? Where? How? You have to ask - can I find an alternate pathway? If your path up the mountain is blocked by a sudden landslide, sometimes you can find a way around the immediate blockage. But sometimes you have to go back to the bottom of the mountain and start over. You could struggle for months digging with a spade, only to find as you remove the soil, that when the landslide happened, that whole area slid into the sea.

    If you cannot find another specialist to refer you, then you need to find out why. If your child sees ten different GPs and none of them feel a neuropsychologist is warranted, then we have to accept that they may have sound reasons for this.

    But if it's only one so far, then a second opinion, from a practice not related to the current doctors, would be worth considering. I can't advise more specifically because your health system is different to ours. We have choice here in Australia, if I don't like what my GP says I can go to a new GP and 'shop around' until I get one I feel I can rely on. If I already have knowledge of some specialists, I can ask my new GP to please write me a referral to Dr J who we saw before, when we were being cared for by a different GP. Or I can say, "I saw Dr J, I was not impressed. My friend said Dr G was marvellous for her child. Can you write me a referral for Dr G?" and unless the GP feels there is no need to see any such specialist at all, the referral generally get written.

    In your case I would also have the option of 'taking a holiday" from the current GP, finding someone who will refer us to the specialists we want (including eventually the neuropsychologist) and then going back to the original GP (should I want to) with the results and saying, "Here are some answers. Will you go on with us from here?" Some doctors would show you the door - those I would happily leave, anyway. Others would swallow their pride and say, "I was wrong - I accept this. What shall we do now?"

    In our case, We've done it three different ways.

    First - easy child 2/difficult child 2 was seen by a public clinic at the age of 4. The assessment took several sessions and cost us nothing (government paid for it).

    Next - difficult child 3 was assessed, privately. It cost a lot. it was good value.

    Later there was a research project we heard about, wanting to assess kid with an autism diagnosis. We registered and got a partial neuropsychologist assessment which was very useful. Because it was research, it was free.

    After that - The GP referred difficult child 3 to a therapist. The therapist we actually hears about through the oxytocin research project that difficult child 3 was involved with. They have therapy as well at the research centre. Because the therapy is separate, we needed a referral. But because we were part of the research, we were able to get appointments with the therapy unit. But here we needed to go to the GP and say, "We've got the chance to get some therapy. We need a referral from you; will you write one please?"
    She did, a bit reluctantly.
    Then therapist & I were talking and I said I felt it was time for another neuropsychologist appointment. therapist referred us, but it was going to cost. Not as much since it was part of a teaching unit too, but still expensive. A GP referral would not have reduced the cost. But the GP got a surprise when I said, "Here is a neuropsychologist report we had done."

    So there can be other pathways, but it really depends on what else is available in your area.

  9. idohope

    idohope Member

    If the neuropsychologist office requires a referral make it as easy as possible for the pediatrician to do so. When I was told this by the neuropysch office I immediately typed a letter to the pediatrician. Explaining that I had contacted Dr. so and so and that they would be contacting you for a referral and here are the reasons that I think this is appropriate. I then listed the main behavioral concerns and hand delivered the letter to the office that day. I wanted it to be there for the doctor when he was contacted about the referral.

    Even if a referral is required I think it is best if you can get the neuropsychologist office to call your pediatrician office requesting the referral. It puts the ball in their court rather than the pediatrician office needing to take the first step of the calling the neuropsychologist office.

    I agree with Marg that if the pediatrician is not supporting your in getting referrals then you should seek another pediatrician. Given that your difficult child has anxiety issues how is the behavior in the pediatricians office? My difficult child lay on the floor in fetal position around age 8 thru a pediatrician appointment which made it really clear to him that her ability to deal with activities of daily living were impacted.
  10. geekparent

    geekparent New Member

    The pediatrician has not been involved because the pediatrician did not diagnose her. The pediatrician does not have a hand in her diagnosis or treatment at all. We sought treatment independently when we could see it was necessary. It isn't that the pediatrician is being difficult; it's simply that he doesn't deal with this aspect of her being. He treats her for ailments; her psychologist and psychiatrist treat for the other issues. There is no behavior in the pediatrician office that would have triggered a red flag.
  11. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    I would suggest writing a letter or calling your insurance company requesting "Gap coverage".

    Point out how much has been spent by the insurance company so far on your difficult child, and that a neuropsyche evaluation could likely be very valuable in pinning down a more accurate diagnosis, and be in their best financial interests to allow it this one time.

    It took me just shy of forever on the phone to get thru to the right department, and a lot of the time, the people I had on the phone didn't even know gap coverage existed, but I just kept hounding and bouncing from person to person til I found one who knew what I was talking about.

    We have gap coverage for the doctor Wee sees in another state, and for a prescription that is not normally covered by our policy.