If I want to really communicate with-difficult child, I text him

TerryJ2

Yesterday I was sicker than a dog, throwing up for over an hr. I asked difficult child if he could get himself to the bus, etc. He said, "I always do."
I went back to bed.

difficult child texted that there was a dead snake in the middle of the road. (That is such a boy thing!)
I texted back that I had seen it and it was a green garden snake.

He texted back when he was on the bus.

Later that afternoon, he texted b4 he left school--How R U? Actually, he texted, ?Como estas? (Because of his Mexican girlfriend, it's all about speaking Spanish.)

OMG, he actually asked about me. (Did h*ll freeze over?)

I texted back, "Mucho mejor, pero no perfecto." (I have no idea if it's grammatical but it's close enough. :) )

Then I texted, "by the way, tienes beisbol miercoles a seis." (You have baseball Wednesday at six.)

I'm still in shock that he asked how I was.

Oh, and his new girlfriend is named Emily. The other girlfriend said she was breaking up with-him because it was too hard to have a relationship when they couldn't understand one another. :(
I mean, how poignant is that? She meant the language barrier, but even when both partners speak the same language, isn't communication the key to it all?

AND he told me about it on his own!

Excuse me while I wax philosophical ... ;)
:holymoly::its_all_good::thumbsup:

Last edited:

4timmy

That's so awesome to hear!

We have those kind of random breakthroughs once in a while as well. My difficult child sometimes likes to text me too. It is when we do this that I see his ability to communicate from a different perspective. He's actually very funny. (He's learning that from me) hee

T

toughlovin

I too have found that texting is sometimes the best way to communicate with my difficult child. Some of our best conversations (even though short) are over text.

TerryJ2

LOL!
Yeah, difficult child is way better than easy child at telling where he is and when he has arrived. Mostly because he's not very social ... he has friends, but it takes him mo's b4 he will want to do something with-them outside of school. And also because Electronics R Us when it comes to the way he communicates. :)

Wiped Out

Staff member
How great that he is communicating! For us another good thing about texting is it is actually helping difficult child's spelling!

P

PatriotsGirl

OMG, so I am not the only one that communicates with difficult child via text? It is sooo much easier on me not to hear her voice. And we have MUCH better conversations through texts. Agreed!!

TerryJ2

LOL!

Sharon, your difficult child actually spells things correctly? My difficult child uses slang and it makes me crazy. I have to text back that I will not make his dinner, or give him the TV cord, until he texts me correctly.
difficult child: Dude I be hungry.
Me: I be upset that you be too dumb to use the right words. Try again.
difficult child: No.
Me: I guess you're not that hungry.
difficult child: I want McDonald's.
Me: Oh, that's a bit better. How about please?

He will do this ad infinitum in texting. If it were in person, we would come to blows.
Go figure.

Wiped Out

Staff member
LOL! by the way, did you get the please? Seriously my difficult child reads still at about a first grade level and his spelling is right there but over the last month we have been gone to a lot of rallies and so he has been communicating using texts and in that month's period of time it is amazing how much his spelling has improved!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Yeah, it does - and some of the stuff Onyxx comes up with is insane. "Nicee", "Okayyyy", (what's with the extra letters?!)...

I am one of those people who uses capitalization and punctuation in my texts. I will use stuff like by the way, Know what I mean? and LOL - but mostly, I type it out. I think it's a leftover from getting a degree in ENGLISH.

Misspellings? OK, I can deal with those. Deliberate messes? Make me crazy.