If you think you want a pet bird...

VLong

Thank you, Abbey for the best and longest belly laugh with tears running down my face laugh I've had in a long, long time!!!

I am terrified of birds and would never have one for a pet, but my sister always had finches and I liked them. But, they were tiny and didn't talk (or swear like sailors :smile:)

Oh my...I'm still giggling!!!!!!!!

Vicki

Marguerite

We only have the one budgie now, but she gets herself out of her cage unless we wire the doors shut. She seems to prefer my room (bathroom attached with big glass doors) and flies between my room and the bathroom. difficult child 3 got her back in her cage this evening with little effort and she immediately got stuck into her seed as he closed the door. When I went back into my bathroom a few minutes later she had got out and was again perched on the shower recess, snoozing in the dark. We keep her wings clipped (either one wing, or both) but she still flies as if there is no clipping at all.

Cockatiels are lovely pets, a bit smarter than budgies. I strongly urge you to get hand-raised birds as chicks, otherwise they can be difficult to handle. The poop is no big deal, it wipes up easily when it's dry. Although my swimsuit looks awful at the moment, Daisy has pooped all over it and it's going to take a fair bit to clean it up.

When difficult child 1 was working at the local zoo he almost lost his position on Day 1. They sent him into the free flight aviary to hose it out and fill the vases of fresh leaves, put there for browse. "Watch out for the Major Mitchell Cockatoo," they warned him. And look after that hose - it's brand new."
Major Mitchells are beautiful, similar to the more well-known Sulphur-Crested, but pink with a red crest. They are a deeper pink under the wings. difficult child 1 carefully kept away from her and began hosing. Then the water pressure dropped suddenly and difficult child 1 turned to see the Major Mitchell walking along beside the hose, puncturing it effortlessly every few inches so she could play in the fountain it produced.

And our Rainbow Lorikeets love to play in water also. You can hear them begin to screech when it starts to rain. They push each other in the water, they argue over whose turn it is, it's hilarious. So if you want one as a pet, you will need a large plastic drop-sheet or an outside aviary. We have flocks of them wild near our house. When they are making a lot of noise (or the cockatoos) then Daisy begins to get agitated. She doesn't seem to want to get out, it's more like she's nervous.

If noise is an issue, never get a Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo. Even a Rainbow Lorikeet is too noisy. A Galah is not always as noisy but I would recommend a pair, not just one. We see them in the village in pairs, gleaning for grass seed beside the footpath. They're all supposed to be protected with no exportation, but they do get smuggled. Many die. If you can get one which has been bred in your area, you can enjoy a legitimate pet.

We like birds a lot in our house.

Marg

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Abbey,

I've always had canaries as pets. They weren't loud except for their lovely song. I had neighbors complain that I uncovered the bird too early on the weekends because of his loud song.

I'd love to have another again; except for the cat, dog & fish in the house.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Abbey, thank you so much for the laugh - I was sooo close to getting a parrot,but got my tiels instead.

SO has taught them to call the dog, and do a wolf whistle -which does get annoying hours on end - especially since they are in the office.

Little Bit though has my laugh down pat - obviously I do way to much laughing at work. SO's latest project is getting them to learn the Kill Bill song.

Marcie

P.S. You tube has some really funny clips of parrots talking - one is English and has the swearing part down pat.

susiestar

Roll With It
husband had a little bity blue parakeet when we met. It's name was Condor. He thought he WAS a condor. husband was gross about not cleaning up after him, so when we were getting ready to be married the ENTIRE large apt had to be totally repainted. And the curtains were a different color under all the nastiness stuck to them.

Condor was very jealous until he learned I ALWAYS smelled like pizza. He LOVED it and I worked in a pizza restaurant! We had to watch Star Wars at a minimum of once a week, or he sulked and pouted.

He woudl sit on my pencil as I studied, and would jump around on the nintendo controller (remember the first nintendo??) as either of us played.

Of course, we had no cats then. He is buried under the big elm on my parent's land. Next to Friday, my dog.

Jess has a cockatiel. Awful thing. Was handraised, and bites bites bites. We have had her for 2 years, and just pretty much let her do her thing. If she bites, she get put in the cage on the floor. She was BFF with our old cat, Freckles. They would sit near each other, cat on the back of the couch next to the cage. Bird as close to the cat in or our of the cage as she could get.

Goldibrat (my name for her) is NOT as fond of our current cat, but takes endless hours of enjoyment CHASING THE CAT. The cat is quite strong, and totally bullied and scared by this bird!!! We never let them alone, bc the cat ends up getting pecked!! Usually while cowering in a corner. Bully bird.

Anyway, If this bird is ever going to learn anything, I don't know when. Won't whistle, sing or do anything but scream. She is quiet if we cover her.

Glad some of you like your birds.

Susie

Abbey

Spork Queen
I have had a few other birds over the years. My first experience is with a Lorikeet. We were told it was a baby...nada. That bird was SOOOO mean. They are adorable and very playful, but there is no way it was a baby. Eventually we took it back to the pet store. Then I did my research and hooked up with a breeder of Greys. That is where Abbey came from. Got her at 3 days old. They are REALLY ugly at that point, but she does think I'm mom. She is 15 now.

Next was a cocketiel. Sweet bird...had her for a few years, then she went into mating mode. Constantly laid eggs. During this time we rescued a male cocketiel. He was great. But the female just wouldn't stop laying eggs. The male hated her. Met a great lady who said sometimes they are just breeder birds. She needed to have furtile eggs. So, gave her away to a breeder...then the male went nuts. It seemed we just couldn't win. He's in a good home, though.

Marg...I used to travel quite a bit in Australia. It amazed me how people would shoot the wild pink parrots (can't think of their name right now - we called them rose colored something or other). They claim they could destroy a wooden deck in minutes. They are so beautiful and command a pretty good price in the US.

I love the story about the parrot chewing through the hose! :rofl:

We give our birds what is called a severe clip. Our houses and roads are very close here so it would put them in great danger to accidently fly outside. They have enough flight to gently fly to the floor.

I'm working on a page of pics of these guys. I have some pretty funny ones.

Abbey

Marguerite

The birds getting shot were the pink and grey ones, Galahs. They and Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos are real pests but are protected in National Parks. The laws may have changed recently to give them wider protection, I'm not sure.

The Sulphur-Cresteds can eat a timber house in days. The problem is, they're pretty, they're smart and people love to feed them. All it takes is one family in a neighbourhood feeding the cockatoos and they turn up in huge flocks. The problems then come because the birds are getting their meal too easily, they don't have to work at it and take time, exercise and mental effort to get a feed, so they get bored and chew stuff purely out of boredom (and, I suspect, a bit of spite at those who do not feed them). It's because of them that we have to have netting over all our garden. They will neatly snip off flowers, vegetables, fruit - everything. We're lucky, we don't have too much timber, but they will rapidly destroy timberwork around a house. We had lunch last Friday down in Royal National Park, where there is a kiosk in the bush (with lots of signs saying to not feed the birds) and although the place is well maintained, you could see that all the picnic tables and chairs had been badly chewed, with large holes right through the timber.

The Galahs - a big problem in grain farming country. Why should they go forage when farmers go to the trouble of planting wheat, just for them? Then the farmers leave the wheat in silos or in heaps ready to load, and the Galahs can descend in numbers so vast the sky is darkened. I remember as a child going inland with my parents, into farming country. It was wheat harvest time and the fields were covered with Galahs, you couldn't see the plants or the ground. My father said that it is often even worse. And where were trucks carrying wheat, it had to be covered and even then they would rip through the tarp covering it. And wheat spills on the road - Galahs in huge numbers would land to eat it, so many of them that vehicles travelling along couldn't avoid hitting the birds. They were just too crowded to be able to take off. We saw many Galah corpses, but maybe a fraction of 1% of all the birds there. Then the crows would land, occasionally one of them would get hit as well. We tried to avoid them, slowed right down, but still hit a few - the Galahs get bold and try for that last grain of wheat...

It really did look like a mouse plague, or a rabbit plague, only it was pink and grey. And of course they would poop in the seed and render it useless. Farmers could find a field stripped bare, worse than locusts.

In recent drought years, we've seen more Galahs leave the wheat belt and travel to the coast for grass seeds. Generally when we see Galahs at the coast, we know the drought is bad.

I do wish they would allow legal export of our white cockatoos and galahs when they're in plague proportions. Same with roos.

And that Rainbow Lorikeet you had - it must have been a fair bit more than a baby, they tame really easily even at a year old or more. They also change colour as they get older - in their first year they have much more green on them. At least, I think that's the case - I'll ask husband [bit from Marg's Man - the colours develop as they get older and there is less need for camouflage]. I think they get more of their purple colours at a year old. We get wild ones sometimes, flying down and cocking their heads at us as if asking for food. We've had wild ones land on us. [bit from Marg's Man - They should not eat seed although they can; they eat nectar like your honeyeaters. Their tongues can be damaged by seeds so that they starve to death]

I'm glad you've seen them for yourself - it's hard to describe sometimes. They are beautiful to live with, but they are very noisy and their cousins are very destructive. When I see my long stems of orchids which I've nurtured and are just about to open from the buds, snipped off and lying trashed on the ground, I get very upset with them. I'm currently trying to grow tomatoes - THAT is going to be interesting!

Marg

Abbey

Spork Queen
Great description, Marg. I didn't know their flocks were that big, but I do have a friend there that had their patio destroyed in one day. :smile: Needless to say...he shoots them.

Abbey