I'm a bad, bad fur mom UPDATED!!!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
And I'm heartsick.

Chester got out last night and he's a runner.

We have an enclosed front porch and I keep the cat food out there that I feed to "my" strays. I went out to feed them and thought I had the inside front door shut. It wasn't and as soon as I opened the outside door, Chester zoomed out. He doesn't even have a collar on because he chewed through the harness I got him. (While it was on) I bought a new one but don't put it on him unless we're actually using it.

He ran to the neighbors house first (where his "girlfriend" lives) but by the time I could get over there he was gone. husband came home as I was walking down the street so he drove around for a bit. He didn't have any luck so I drover around....twice. I could always hear dogs barking in the distance...probably where Chester was....but everytime I got to the area where I thought it was coming from, the dogs had all stopped.

He got out one other time when we weren't home but showed up out front the next morning. I was hoping that would be the case today but no sign of him. I've already been out driving twice this morning and no luck.

husband keeps telling me that he's a smart dog and if he wants to come back he will. I know but....he's so LITTLE. I am supposed to go comparison shopping today for new flooring but I hate to leave the house. husband has to work and if Chester shows up, no one will be here.

Can one of you come over and watch for him?

Last edited:

mstang67chic

Going Green
Suz, thank you so much but I hope you haven't left yet!

He's back!!!

I've been alternately calling him from the back yard and the front. I was out back, came out front, called him, looked down the street and here he came!

He's a little thirsty and hungry and needs a bath but he's home!

Yes all of you....I said home.

I'm so relieved! I was SO worried about him! Even husband was relieved to know he was home when I called to tell him. (The big softie)

**Added a bit later***

I gave him a quick partial bath but noticed more mystery spots so I'll give him a more complete one later. He seemed so excited to be back....did the Chester version of a cat fit all through the house. Also ran around the back yard like a loon and is currently snuggled up in a soft spot sleeping.

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thank goodness he came home. Chester is smart. If he runs off again you must remember he chose you and husband......not the other way around. He'll come home.

I used to fret when Rowdy would get out when he was young. But got so tired of dealing with it I finally said enough one day and hollered after him that if he wasn't smart enough to realize he's got a home where he's spoiled then TOUGH.

Funny. Ten mins after he leaves he is always at the front door scratching to get inside.....and he's an outside dog. Obviously he's smart enough to know a good home when he's got it. lol :D

Abbey

Spork Queen
You know, Stang, one thing that we've done with our birds has helped bring them back when they stupidly tried to get outside. We have a whistle that we do MANY times a day. I whistle one way, they respond another way. That is how H found dummy Blackjack when he flew a couple of blocks down months ago. I was in Vegas getting frantic calls...neighbors looking all around, but it was H's whistle that found him. He was just sitting high in a crab apple tree.

Try and train your dog to some sort of a sound response. You say something...he responses with a bark. As far as the doggie girlfriend...well, you know the answer to that. Nothing short of a strong leash and a chock collar will prevent that.

Abbey

donna723

I am so glad to hear that he's home! Mine have slipped out between my feet a few times and it's heart attack time for me! I live right in the middle of town, a half block from a very busy street. Neither would really run off, but Ragan will run big circles in the yard, with a huge grin on her face till she's exhausted. Katy will slowly meander through the yard sniffing the flowers and listening to the birds sing. In both cases, I fought down the panic and the urge to scream at them and make them afraid to come to me. I got a big smile on my face and yelled ...

COOKIE!!!!!

... and they came right to me! :D

In case there's ever a next time, have you had him microchipped? It could really help if someone finds him and takes him to a shelter thinking he's a stray.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
:whew:

Sounds like Chester needs to be neutered and wear a collar with tags.

It also sounds like Chester has a forever Mommy and Daddy. :D

:thumbsup:

Suz

Fran

Former desparate mom
Yay, he's back! Glad he wised up and realized where he belongs. Both of mine have slunk off when my back was turned. We live in the woods and they would take off after deer. I would be frantic as they are wanderers by breed.
Both have returned which is unusual for GP's. I think after being in foster care they realize where their food, a/c and bed is and won't be gone too long.
They wear my cell phone number around their neck. By now the neighbors all know them and would know where to return the big white fur balls. : )

Glad he is safe and is loving being at home.