I'm a little proud of my Duckie...

tiredmommy

This isn't huge in the grand scheme of things, but she's done good. Duckie has been excused from gym class for just over a week until her asthma is under a little more control. She gets delivered to the school library during gym (every other day) along with her classmate that broke both her arms the day before Duckie was diagnosis'd. B is out of gym for a total of six weeks, while Duckie is out for two. They both are responsible for additional classwork (book report) for every two weeks.

Duckie is being very helpful to B, carrying books and opening doors. B's temporary aide supervises the girls. Duckie chose a book on soccer, read it in one class, made a "sloppy copy" of her book report the next class and made a final copy the next class. She's done fully three classes ahead of schedule!

And her teacher has noticed a big change in Duckie too. Duckie had lost a ton of free time at the beginning of the school, mostly for talking and fooling around in line, etc. Nothing too serious, but she needed to get it together. And she has gotten it together over the last few weeks... she's been quiet and appropriate in class, helpful to her teacher and the other students, setting a good example for the younger kids and taking on more responsibility. Her teacher stopped Duckie before leaving for the day and told her she was very proud of the changes Duckie has made.

I am too.

Andy

Good for you Duckie! I think helping others really builds self esteem in the best ways. I am glad she has the opportunities to help others.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Hold onto these moments! Ducky is truly a good girl, and it shows! You should be proud.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
TM,

This is a giant step for Duckie ~ she's still quite young yet she's grasping the concept of cause & effect. Big, big, big.

This cyber auntie is proud of her helping her classmate & learning to self calm herself while in line. I see that type of behavior as anxiety ~ at least it was for the tweedles (still is for both of them).

Give Duckie a hug for me - she's doing well after a bumpy start to school.

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone, she is a good girl. And Linda... her first day of school got off to a very bad start because we got out of cheer late the night before. We rushed home, cleaned her up and got her to bed as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, she was very stressed out and didn't fall asleep until around 10pm. She was convinced she would have a bad first day because of it and sure enough... she did. But I'm very proud of how she has worked to bounce back.

LittleDudesMom

The recognition that they can make a positive change is a big awareness step. I share your pride in her ability to turn it around. She's a good kid, tm.

Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
You have every reason to be proud and I bet Duckie was glowing from her teacher's compliment! Glad the teacher shared with her!

busywend

And you should be proud! What a great person to help someone in need. Not everyone does, ya know.

She is a great kid!

meowbunny

I'm not sure I would call the actions you described as "little." Random acts of kindness create good all over the world. Her helping her classmate and others seeing her goodness can affect far more than you will ever know.

That she's ahead on the work she needs to do is truly impressive. Very few 7 YOs quite get the concept that the quicker you get something done, the less work it is later.

She's turning into a wonderful little girl and, I believe, will be a wonderful young woman and adult. Give her a hug for me, please. She deserves all the hugs and praise we can muster for her.

B

butterflydreams

Way To Go, Duckie! This is so very awesome! You should be very proud of her!

tiredmommy

Ladies,

It actually got better! B called as soon as Duckie got home from school wanting a play date. We had just starting going through Duckie's book bag to gather up homework. She had a spelling assignment, a math worksheet and her accelerated reading. I told her she could have the play date but she still had to get her homework done; I meant after the play date since B would be there in a few minutes. Duckie actually managed to knock off the spelling & math before B arrived. Then she promptly began reading her accelerated reader as soon as B left.

Somebody pinch me! Or not! :biggrin:

Also, I noticed something among the girls she's been friends with since kindergarten. There's a group of about eight that are pretty tightly intertwined in the multiage program. She's the only one that has really reached out beyond that group to make new close friends among all the multiagers, including the boys.