Im alive...lol

DammitJanet

Sorry I havent been on for a bit but I had to get my internet fixed. Moving is a pain in the rear end. We finally got in here last Thursday but the cable company messed up my order and I only had a few channels and then my internet didnt work most of the time. What a pain. I think I am back now.

I really love this new little place - if Tony wasnt trying to convince me I had to sweep the floor at least once a day...lol. Im doing good to wash the dishes every night and attempt to figure out where to put our clothes.

With all this going on Tony decides to invite Jamie and family down to visit next weekend. Oh joy! At least we have a playground right outside out door to keep the kids occupied.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sounds great Janet. :)

At least you don't have the room to put them up at your apartment. Hopefully the weather will be nice and the kids can spend most of the time at the playground burning off energy. lol

DDD

Have you ever tried those "stick" vacuums? I can't remember what the brandnames are but they are as light as a broom and you don't have to bend over with a dust pan. I had one and loved it...and they aren't pricey. DDD

witzend

Have you ever tried those "stick" vacuums? I can't remember what the brandnames are but they are as light as a broom and you don't have to bend over with a dust pan. I had one and loved it...and they aren't pricey. DDD

I have one. It's great. It doesn't use bags but has a filter. I use a can of air and blow out the filter when I empty the thing. It's the "Eureka Broom Vac". It does a great job. I found the "Dirt Broom" by Dirt Devil to be too heavy and I had to recharge it all the time. It wasn't easy to empty, either. They're listed at Target for $24.

http://www.eureka.com/en-US/Vacuums/Lightweights/Easy-Clean11/Lightweights-EasyClean-166DX.aspx

DammitJanet

I do plan on getting one of those electric stick brooms when I can afford one. I bought a swiffer knock off for a buck...lol. To say Tony isnt thrilled with it would be an understatement!

Im telling you I had forgotten about all the little items that you have to buy when you move. Not just all the deposits which are outrageous these days but the little things.

The curtains that were in the trailer were the ones that came with it in 2001 and not worth taking with me. I had to buy a cheap shower curtain because I always used the bathtub in the other place plus my shower there had the glass doors. Now I am desperately looking for preferably black out curtains for 6 windows - 2 in the living room, 2 in my bedroom and 2 in Monkey's room. The bedrooms are really important because that is where the sun hits very early in the morning. I really want pink for Monkey's room because her room is done in Hello Kitty. To my surprise they now sell curtains as one panel each! I also have to buy a new microwave because the one at the trailer belonged to Billy. And within a month I need to be looking for a decent sized window AC unit.

All this doesnt count the fact I desperately need to move the fridge somewhere else and put my table somewhere else. The kitchen is set up so wrong. I also need to bring my stool over from the trailer because I cannot stand on my feet for long because the floors are concrete with cheap vinyl over them.

Other than that, I am loving this place. For some odd reason Abby has started sleeping in the bed with us and she never did that before. I always tried to get her up there with me but she would do nothing but bounce and play. Now she hops up there and gets on her blanket and snuggles down. Odd as all get out but I love it.

Since I have a bit more time on my hands, I have started to attempt to make these cute dresses I saw online. You simply take a regular Tee shirt and then crochet the skirt right to the shirt. They are adorable. I will post a picture when I get the first one done. Im also in the process of making a really nice throw for my couch and after that I am making a really pretty one for Monkey's room.

pasajes4

I bought sun reflector panels from Dr. Lenorads catalog. They go between the window and the drapes or whatever you have so you don't see them. They come in different sizes and are pretty cheap. They keep the electric bills down.

DDD

I switched to vertical blinds and found them cheaper and much easier to keep clean. Walmart or Home Depot or Lowe's have a sale almost all the time. DDD

DammitJanet

Thanks for the link to the sun reflector curtains. Those look like a great idea. Im not real picky about what the place looks like...lol. I will most likely get them first and then try to get the black out curtains as I can. One think these sun reflector curtains will allow me to do is to buy the cheaper either plain pink curtains or the Hello Kitty set for Monkey's room right away. Im actually leaning towards just getting regular pink because I am imagining Hello Kitty will only last a year or two at the max. Who knows what she will want next but pink curtains can go with most anything.

As far as sewing, well that isnt my strong suit. I can iron using that tape stuff.

DammitJanet

I kinda figured some adults must because they make Hello Kitty microwaves and toasters...lol. I really want one of the toasters because they leave a Kitty imprint on the toast!

susiestar

Roll With It
Did you know that you can buy the fabric to line curtains for blackout curtains? It is in the home decorating fabrics on the wide rolls at the fabric stores. You don't even need to sew if you don't want to. Buy some stitch witch or fabric glue (I like "OK to Wash It" for a couple of dollars and you can do all the windows. Just iron creases for the sides and then follow directions on the glue or stitch witch and you will be done in no time. For the top you can make a pocket wide enough to slide a rod through or use ribbon and make loops to put the rod through. I did four windows in well under an hour using stitch witch when we lived in one apartment. If you have a JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby, you can find a coupon online for 40% off any one item almost all the time. One cut of fabric equals one item. I have been known to have the fabric cut to the width or length of the window for each window needed. Then I have husband and the kids each check out so that they can each use one coupon for the discount. It saves me a TON of time cutting the fabric, lol.

The crocheted dresses sound adorable. I bet they would be cute using tank tops too.If you want a fast, easy dress fr the girls, JoAnns has fabric that is gathered on one side of the fabric like a tube top and is long enough for dresses. You simply cut the fabric to the size to go around the body and then sew that seam. It can be strapless or simple ribbon straps can be added. These are super popular here.

DammitJanet

I have seen some premade crocheted material that look like tank tops. Then you make a tutu for it and its cute.

I like having something to do with my hands so I like the idea of making shirts and dresses. I am also doing an afghan right now too. When I get bored with one project I just pick up another. I love the afghan because it will be super thick and is made with the softest yarn. The stitches are also big enough that I can work on it in the dark.

LittleDudesMom

Janet, I bought yarn and needles this past fall because I wanted to learn/start kitting. It's all still sitting in the bag! One day....

DammitJanet

I dont think I could manage knitting because I am not all that coordinated. Crocheting is easier to me. Of course I am self taught, cant read a pattern for nothing and most likely have adapted some stitches to being approximate...lol. First thing I ever learned to do was the granny square and that is fairly easy. Now I am working on adapting "baby" clothes to clothes for Monkey and that can be a bit of a stretch. I do a whole lot of making it and then tearing it all out. I did just make a very cute Hello Kitty purse and I had to do a Kitty face to stitch on and it turned out really well. Considering...lol