I'm almost afraid to say this out loud

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by flutterby, Oct 23, 2009.

  1. flutterby

    flutterby Fly away!

    But, maybe, we might be closer to a diagnosis, possibly.

    I went today for a lip biopsy to check for Sjogren's Syndrome. It's usually done in the office with a local anesthetic and then sent to a pathologist.

    Except that the doctor (ENT) couldn't find a salivary gland to biopsy. Which could be (even more) indicative of Sjogren's because the salivary glands can basically shrivel up.

    So, now I have to get cleared by my cardiologist for outpatient surgery under general anesthesia and it may involve an external incision by my ear to biopsy some of the parotid gland.

    Fun and games.
  2. crazymama30

    crazymama30 Active Member

    Hugs, and I hope the procedure is ok'd and things go well.
  3. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    I hope you are one step closer, too. Any idea how long to wait for the approval?
  4. flutterby

    flutterby Fly away!

    I got an appointment with a cardiologist (not mine, but same office) on Monday morning. If I waited for mine, it would be about 3 months.

    Then I called the ENT's office to give them the fax number and it said they were closed for the day, even though it was only 3pm and the message said they close at 4pm.

    I'm so tired.

    By the time I lied down yesterday, I had been up around 28 or so hours. I had to go to the doctor to get a toradol (strong NSAID) shot because of swelling in my neck, shoulder and shoulder blade that was causing my left arm and hand to go numb; and when it wasn't numb this lovely electric shock down my arm. I couldn't lie down because it was unbearable and it took about 2 hours for the effect of the shot to start working.

    Then I kept waking up every hour until I finally got up. Then the appointment today, plus an IEP meeting - and of course there was no parking and I had to park way in the back of student parking and of course it's raining. And then talking to difficult child 2's mom about his psychiatrist appointment and getting completely frustrated and angry over that. And I'm out of Diet Coke so no caffeine (easy child was supposed to get it yesterday and he didn't - got his soda though; then this morning before he left...and he didn't).

    And it just doesn't take much to put me down for a few days. The weather doesn't help, either.
  5. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    Heather, this may be a good sign in the diagnosis sense. *knocks on wood fast* I certainly hope so. I know that the simply not knowing for certain is toture....especially when searching for treatments that may actually work.

    Very interesting finding though.

    Good luck with the rest and be sure to let us know.

  6. KTMom91

    KTMom91 Well-Known Member

    I agree with Lisa that the "not knowing" is the worst. Keeping fingers crossed for your next appointment!
  7. Star*

    Star* call 911........call 911

    I'm just angry they can SEE that you are in MAJOR flippin pain and then send you HOME....UGH.....(said in sarcasticist voice I have like little whiney girl) 'Well go home flutter and come back Monday'...

    I'm so sorry you are hurting. Glad you may be closer to a diagnosis but I mean REALLY - these people seem just INHUMAN and callous to anyone elses plight or pain or anything. Makes me hopping mad. I wish I WERE there flutter - you think Adrian got an earful? (shakes head in disbelief)

    Fingers crossed at the very least they can figure out what is wrong and find the relief you need QUICKLY.

  8. flutterby

    flutterby Fly away!

    I was telling a friend about this and she just laughed. Nothing I do (or need to have done) is easy. I always have to be so damn complicated. :tongue:

    It's not all that bad that I couldn't have the biopsy yesterday. Could you see me at the IEP meeting, tired already and losing my words, plus having a swollen, sore lip?

    Know how I said I was tired? I went to bed yesterday evening at 6:30pm and slept until 11 this morning. Then I took a nap from 4:30 to 6:30 today. :faint: