I'm back.

klmno

I just got back, changed clothes, and downed a Big Mac.

I don't think I got it- at least I didn't get it today- but I'm not positive.

He had his wife in the interview because I guess she helps out doing some office work and he says she's a good judge of character. It probably has something to do with not wanting to interview a female alone too.

Anyway, the interview portion seemed to go well with both of them and the reporte seemed pretty good. They seemed to really like some answers I gave to their questions and some samples of my work. Then he asked what I wanted to get paid and I said it depended on benefits that the company paid so we discussed what benefits were important to me. I listed the typical and said I could pay for them but of course, the pay would need to vary depending on the arrangement. He said, ok, if the company gave you this package with all the things you asked just asked for, what would you want to get paid.

I said "uhmmm", and shyly threw out a number like I wasn't real committed to it. Now this number was in the lowest range of anyone with my credentials and experience without looking desparate. They had advertised for experienced people and clearly were stating needs that required experience. So I had addressed the entire interview that way and did not want to appear desparate or unqualified but during the course of the interview, he mentioned having someone do this job before who had very little experience but she moved away.

Anyway, then he said he was talking to a couple of other people and would commit to calling people Wed evening and letting them know if he wanted to call them back in for a more detailed discussion. I told them (which I'd already mentioned on the phone last week) that "I'm glad he plans to make a decision soon because I'm facing foreclosure within a matter of days if I didn't get a letter from a company stating I had a job and what I'd be getting paid very soon". He said he will commit to Wed because he needs to make a decision for his company, too, and then started checking with his wife to make sure they had my email address. As we were saying our goodbyes, I told him to feel free to call with any questions or anything because I'd be happy to negotiate salary and terms. He said ok, and that he was mainly concerned about getting the right person for the job.

What makes me feel negative is that it seemed so very positive until he said he would call, then made absolutely sure they had my email. Maybe I asked for more money than they wanted to pay if they were used to paying someone at the beginning years of this profession. I don't know- the only thing that makes me think I might have a small chance is if he asked for my email address so he can send the letter offering me a job and have the pay stated. But, it seems more likely that he would email to say they've decided to hire someone else, right?

It just seemed to be going so well until I got the "we're talking to a few other people" comment, which usually means I'm not the one. He actually took notes though, which rarely happens, and his wife said I had done some great work so who knows.

Last edited:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I wouldn't read too much into the email thing. Maybe he said call and he just meant contact. I know it's hard to wait, and especially hard when your finances have so much riding on it!

I hope you get the job!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
The "we're talking to a few other people" is a common stall and not necessarily a negative one. He probably just wanted a chance to discuss it privately with his wife and thought this sounded more professional. ;)

Fingers crossed!

Suz

busywend

Fingers crossed! I agree with Suz! That is what everyone says. Try not to stress - I know pretty tough to do!

klmno

Thanks, Ladies! I was hoping I'd know today and still my gut tells me I would have known today if I was going to get it.

JJJ

K -

One thing, I wouldn't share so much. He didn't need to know about the bankruptcy and I know many people who are very biased against people who have to use bankruptcy. (Mainly because they have never been in that situation.) But, just like the info about your son, I would put that on a need to know basis - and most people do not need to know.

klmno

I didn't tell him about the possible BK- I told him I was facing foreclosure and I didn't think I had much choice because I have to have a letter from an employer to keep the house and I don't have a week or so to wait.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I agree with JJJ about not disclosing too much. They can't legally ask those questions because they can create biased employment decisions so if the courts don't think it's a good idea, it's probably not.

I know when I was in banking they wouldn't consider anyone with a slow credit history because the temptation of working around money might be too great. This economy has produced untold millions of people in a state of credit/financial crises; still, it's probably a good idea to keep that out of your interviews since it doesn't have anything to do with your ability to do the job.

Like dating a man...it's good to keep a prospective employer guessing a bit about us and wanting to know more. :D

Suz

klmno

The only thing I told them about was the possible foreclosure- which I have no choice if I want to stop it. I don't think that caused in turn of events because I had told him that on the phone last week and he still said he wanted to interview me.

I appreciate the feedback, I just had no choice on this one. I was hoping/needing the letter today in all honesty. He knows the profession plummetted last year and many are struggling to hang on. He said he'd had to lay off 1/2 to 2/3 of his employees last year and can just now start hiring new people because business has picked up.

Last edited:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm just curious-did he mention why he didn't hire anyone back who he'd laid off last year? (hopefully they are now employed somewhere else?)

Suz

Steely

I think it sounds like the interview went really well.

Do not worry about if the number you threw out there was too big. If a company really likes you, they will come back to you with a counter offer. No good company wants to pass up a good person. So, you can boldly offer a salary expectation without fear.

Give yourself a couple of days, and see where this ends up. Don't read too much into a few simple comments. Everything he said and did seems like normal job interview protocol.

Good luck!!!:D

klmno

If a company really likes you, they will come back to you with a counter offer.

That's what I'm hoping for! I'm just not sure how much competition I had for the job. I'd say more had less experience so he'll have to weigh what he's really looking for.

Suz, apparently the ones laid off were in fields that are different from mine and he doesn't have enough business built back up yet to need them. (For instance, he said one was an assistant to his bookeeper/accounting person).

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Good. I'm glad it was discussed and that he had a logical answer.

My fingers are crossed for you. It's about time your luck changed.

Suz

Mattsmom277

It could be he just wanted to hedge his bets in case a better hire came in to interview, and knowing you were in desperate straights, didn't want to give you the supreme hope and possibly have to really devestate you later in the week. It could indeed be the case, and the email confirmation thing might be to offer you a immediate offer in writing. I am keeping fingers crossed :)

As to admitting your foreclosure status, perhaps if it comes up again that you are interviewing, don't mention it. IF they hire you, THEN ask for a letter of confirmation of employment and salary and terms etc in writing asap. You needn't specify if not asked, what you need it for. But if asked, you can honestly state that you had prior obligations in your personal/business life and they were negotiated on the basis that you confirm when you return to a stable employment status. Period. They'll read between the lines without knowing your personal stuff, Know what I mean?? And it would be offered up to them AFTER their confirmation of hiring you. I worry that htme knowing in advance might make them jaded and more inclined to believe you might overinflate your credentials and skills out of desperation to gain employment. I would hate to think they might doubt you in any fashion and yet, many employers are on the wary side right now, for good reason. Many desperate families are going out on a limb in job interviews, saying what a hiree wants to hear to get the job, qualified or not.

Anyhow, I am sending awesome positive vibes for good news Wednesday :) :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
MAKE TODAY YOUR DAY......

If that job is yours? It will be. It it is not? All the worrying in the world will not make it so. So why worry?

YOU need to behave like you are untouchable....worth a bazillion.....find that kind of attitude....that any employer would be LUCKY to have YOU.

When you interview? THAT is the attitude you need....slightly cocky, a little sassy, confidant, cool, collected, and ABLE TO DO THEIR JOB LIKE NO ONE ELSE.

NOW GET OUT THERE AND FIND THAT JOB!!!! GIRLFRIEND. :you_go_girl::cheerleader::cheerleader: HIT IT GIRLS........

I'm SASSY
I'm SEXY
I'm ALL ABOUT THE JOB

I'm CONFIDANT & #1
DON'T HIRE THAT OTHER SLOB

YOU WANT ME
YOU KNOW IT

TELL ME WHEN TO BE AT WORK
YOU KNOW I CAN WORK CIRCLES
AROUND THOSE OTHER JERKS

NOT NEEDY OR GREEDY
I'LL ANSWER EVERY CALL
THE FIRST TIME YOU WATCH ME
YOU'LL KNOW I'M ON THE BALL

SO GIVE ME THE MONEY
CAUSE I"M WORTH EVERY DIME
NOW GET ON YOUR PHONE AND CALL ME
555-1219

(WHAT YOU THOUGHT I'D GIVE YOUR REAL NUMBER OUT? and besides it does not rhyme with dime)

Gooooooooooooooooooo KLMNO!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!

yeah.....sooooooo not serious...but wishing you the best of luck with your jobquest.