I'm home from breast surgery!

LittleDudesMom

Marg,

I'm having a little glitch where I can only see the first page of a thread - so excuse me if you reposted something else later..

So glad to hear you are home and are actually in bed! My prayers and thoughts continue....

Sharon

SRL

Marg, glad to hear you're home and are upbeat.

I have to say it's hard to imagine you resting very long, but do please take care of yourself. :)

BusynMember

Glad it went well. Told ya :) I'm hoping for good news at your appointment. Probably will be. They caught it VERY early, like they did with me.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Marg

Sounds like the surgery went smoothly and very well. Hopefully those nodes will come up clear. Praying they do and that you have a speedy recovery.

((hugs))

Marguerite

Thanks, guys.

As for resting - I knew I had some things to do that I couldn't get out of. Plus they told me I had to begin exercises and moving my arm as soon as I came out of surgery. Thankfully, I can move my arm fairly well. I'm finding that some jarring hurts (such as the car going over a speed hump) but they gave me a small cushion to 'wear' which I'm keeping in the car, it helps. At home in bed I have other cushions that are helping.

I didn't sleep too badly or too well - my other pain is causing me trouble, which interferes with my sleep. I'm still peeing blue (from the dye injected into the tumour, so the doctor could wait a bit and then eyeball the sentinel nodes). The blue dye is getting less and less, there. But I can still see it around the dressing on my breast.

This morning I had just got up (after a long lie-in) and my breast cancer survivor friend from church arrived with a big bunch of flowers. She's offered to help me de-clutter, so while she was here we began working on a patch of the old toy-box. We got a trug full of stuff thrown into the rubbish, and other stuff sorted (to go through later). I probably shouldn't have been doing much, I did call a halt when I felt it begin to hurt. It's good to have a little more space.

I had a meeting to go do today that I really couldn't get out of. I'd tried to set things up beforehand via email, but the people I needed to deal with are not tech-savvy enough. husband drove me, the meeting was in the library, and I planned to only stay as long as I needed to. Turned out I was needed for a bit longer, I ended up staying until the end. I was feeling a bit fragile by then (even though I took things fairly easy) so we got out of there fast. We had a bit of shopping to do for dinner (buying a chook to roast), husband went in to do that while I bought some fruit & vegetables for tomorrow.

We got back, went to mother in law's and got dinner going (roast chicken and roast vegetables - I had the vegetables prepared on Thursday) and I went to have a rest until dinner was cooked. I woke in time to make the gravy while husband carved.

We ate, I came home early and we've brought the leftover chicken with us.

Tomorrow (if I'm up to it) we're going to the train track. I usually help out selling tickets in the ticket box. If I'm up to it, I'll help out again but probably only for an hour or so while the rush is on. I've got an easy picnic planned for us. mother in law & difficult child 3 will be coming too. I bought some easy things today, I'm throwing a hamper together with food we've already got.

I think the local anaesthetic pumped into the wounds is well and truly wearing off. Everything is feeling more sore, although my armpit no longer feels so much like the dressing is digging in. It's feeling a bit hot (not hugely so) but there's likely to be a lot of bruising too, it looks it (as far as I can tell, with the blue dye!),

Today was physically busier, but I had some adrenalin I needed to burn off so I used tat to keep going. The arm exercises - my friend also reinforced how important they are. I have a hard time convincing mother in law that I have to keep moving my arm, she kept telling me to lie down, take it easy, don't use that arm. But I have to - I was told I must. My friend showed me the 'walk your hand up the wall' exercise and how you have to try to get your hand higher each day, but I can still raise my arm completely vertically, so I'm really doing well. At the moment, anyway. Tonight it's a bit more painful and a bit harder to do, though. But I think I can move so well because the sentinel nodes are actually 3" below my armpit, not right in it. And a fairly small incision, too.

It's all looking good.

As for putting my name etc on the t-shirt for the Avon breast cancer walk - I'd be honoured. Would my avatar do, or do you need my "secret identity"? I actually have an Avon breast cancer pink ribbon charm on my mobile phone.

Did you know that 1 in 10 women will get breast cancer? And that number is increasing. Keep up with the breast checks and also mammograms regularly, especially from age 45. Remember, it was a mammogram that found my cancer, and even when she knew where it was, the doctor couldn't feel it. Even though my cancer was caught early and still small, it already was invading surrounding breast tissue. In the next week we'll know just how far.

Again, thanks for your good wishes and prayers.

Marg