I'm new and need to be walked through all of this.

Kyanasama

Janet, thank you for your reply. I am going to see what I can do about getting a neropsych evaluation and get the Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) to delve further into his problems. I've only hit brick walls when I try to deal with medicaid on my own. I'm probably asking the wrong questions, but it seems like I get better results when the doctors/therapists do the asking.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Here in VA, Medicaid operates sort of like an HMO. You have to go to a "preferred provider." I haven't seen the list for psychiatric, but my daughter has had no problem finding doctors for her son that take Medicaid. If NC is similar, do you have a booklet listing participating providers? Definitely request one.

I would go back to the psychiatrist and push for a more thorough evaluation, and go in armed with a list of questions. ODD is sort of a catch-all diagnosis, in my opinion ... many times there is an underlying disorder. Keep in mind too, that early onset bipolar disorder has many of the same symptoms as ADHD. You might ask your psychiatris's opinion of EOBD .. since there is still a contingent of doctors out there that don't believe in it. I'm not suggesting your son has this, just that perhaps it should be on the list of things to rule out. If you have a psychiatrist who doesn't believe in it, it'd be a red flag of a narrow minded doctor .. again in my opinion.

Welcome!!

susiestar

Roll With It
Welcome!! I know this is very scary and hard. You really ARE doing a good job. I know because you have a number of things in place for him, are working to find more, and put the effort into searching and found us!!

(please excuse typos and capitals, i have hand problems!)

If you go to this part of the board: http://www.conductdisorders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10 you will get info about a Parent report. It helps you communicatewith all the people who will be helping you, and helps you keep everything organized. I did find that putting a small picture of my child at the beginning of every section, and in the middle of very long ones helped the professionals remember who it was about ANd that it was about a person!

Gotta run, but welcome!!

Susie

Kyanasama

Hi Susie!

That report is really great. I have copied it over to word and will be working on it tonight.

We're waiting for a phone call back from his psychiatric to get something sooner. Hopefully, a pestering tomorrow will yield some results.