Im not being political...but OMG...SC gov really hoovered up!

donna723

Yeah, kinda like when my daughter was a teenager and climbed in through her bedroom window at 3 a.m. and then tried to convince us that she had been there the whole time....? We just didn't see her in that 9x12 room!

Fran

Former desparate mom
But in addition to explaining to the media where he was all that time, he'd also be explaining how he got those two black eyes and all those lumps on his head!

:bigsmile: roflmbo Donna.

flutterby

Fly away!
Is this the same guy who wanted Clinton impeached over Monica (not getting political - but, pot, kettle, etc)? Or was that someone else in the news recently?

I haven't read the updated reports. I read this morning where he had been in Argentina. I figured affair, but when I read it, he hadn't said anything.

*I* couldn't leave the country and not be missed. No way a governor could.

Duh.

DammitJanet

I was just imagining him attempting to sneak in the back door while trying to straighten his tie. Uhmmm. I couldnt find that milk dear. I went looking everywhere! Really!!

(Yeah...you went looking in Argentina and in the breasts of some latin lover!)

everywoman

What angers me the most is during his speech he spoke of the emotional stress he was under because of the battle over the stimulus money. I had some very good friends lose their jobs because of his unwillingness to take the money for education. I watched the emotional duress they were under. Luckily, at the last minute he was forced to accept the money and they were placed in positions "somewhere". They are at home explaining to their children that because of budget cuts and furlough days they can't go to summer camp or on vacation---while he is flying off to Argentina. Get over yourself already Mr. Governor.

klmno

Heather, I think that's another politician who also recently admitted having an affair, but I'm not positive.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I live in Columbia, I work with and around people that are very close to people that are close to him. It's been a very "whisper" hush-hush week around the office.

I don't care if he had an affair. I think it's wrong that The State newspaper published his emails. Those are private. It doesn't matter to me that he's the governor and has been having an affair with a woman in Argentina. Lots of men have affairs. I think his wife is an idiot for publically announcing that she will take him back if he repents and humbles himself before her. (her words) but it's not my marriage.

I think it's shameful for whomever came out with this information that they have had since December and let us all (meaning all South Carolinians) ride the notarity of Governor Mark Sanford make big hoopla about NOT taking the stimulus money. We GET it - don't take more money - when you already have debt. Personally? I think it was a wise move. I was not behind the little high school girl who went to the supreme court to challenge him, and I knew eventually we would end up taking the money. I also didn't think Sanfords move to make a "legal gambling bet" with Governor Sarah Palin about some hockey game and make it a national hoopla deal. Gambling is illegal - but there they were making bets. Above the law again.

Flutter is absolutely right. He did vote to impeach Clinton during his Lewinski scandal and has voted pro-moral majority, family values in almost every instance. But when you throw stones - you have to remember sometimes the stones can be picked up and get thrown back at you. In this case I think it's a boulder.

I look for the man to resign. For our states sake. I look for him to get counseling - for his own sake and for his families sake. I hope that people will remember that he's just a man and realize he's human and in time forgive him - if they feel he even needs to be forgiven. I personally feel no reason to forgive him for anything. Most polititians are idiots, with more family money, but same family problems, groomed from birth in a stressful environment to be over-achivers and loose sight very early on of what they were doing in the first place. It's rare to find a true leader.

Like I've said before - You have to LIVE HERE in SC to really understand just HOW ridiculous a place it is. I think we're now the joke of the nation.

Just Monday - Jailers in Myrtle Beach, SC released from jail a white 18 year old young man thinking it was a 34 year old BLACK man (NOT KIDDING). They EVEN handed the 18 year old white dude the 34 year old black mans ID card and possessions. (NOT KIDDING). :faint:

muttmeister

I know that I'm getting old and cranky. I have no patience with this man. I'm sure what he did is no worse than what a lot of politicians have done and maybe it's the cumulative effect but in my humble opinion if he can't even keep a vow he made to God (at his wedding) he certainly shouldn't be allowed to stay in office.
And at this point I have very little sympathy with his wife; what is wrong with these women? You let somebody use you as a doormat and humiliate you in front of the world and then you smile and take him back? If it were I, I would kick him where it counts and throw his behind out the door. I'm sick to death of these dutiful little wives who seem to think that any man is better than no man at all. Are they completely nuts?

klmno

I waslistening to a discussion about this on tv last night because I couldn't sleep. One lady brought up a point that really clicked with me and I think it is what bothers me most. I agree that the issue of the affair is a marital issue and between him and his wife. But when they said he didn't tell anyone- not even his lt. govenor- that he was leaving the state, much less the country, that did appear to be an incompetent decision. But the point made was that this man did that due to emotions- whether libido, love, stress, heartache, etc- what would he do if he was president and had much bigger stressors and emotional issues? I think it's up to South Carolians whether or not he stays as Govenor, but I sure would never want him as president.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hello all--

I may have missed some of the details of this story....but for me, it really comes down to one thing: if he used taxpayer money to fund his "trip" in any way (use of a government car, plane, cell phone, internet service, etc) then he should not resign, he should be impeached and prosecuted for embezzlement and theft.

Moral majority my foot!!

--DaisyF

flutterby

Fly away!
He didn't use taxpayer money for his trip; he used his own. However, he doesn't come from money; he married into it.

His wife found out about the affair 5 months ago, so when people were going to her and saying, hey, where's the governor? He left without telling anyone and no one knows who is in charge. And she responded with, why can't you give us some privacy? When she has worked his campaigns, was known to be actively involved, etc? I don't know. It stinks.

And that he spent 5 days in Argentina crying. Ha. He didn't come home during those 5 days, now did he? Puh-lease.

And it wouldn't matter if he was a governor or my next door neighbor. Come up with that bs story and my reaction is going to be the same.

klmno

I thought I heard him say that he was going to stay longer but came home after 5 days because people were making such a fuss about him being gone. DUH! (In other words, he got caught.)

Star*

call 911........call 911
He took a SLED car to the airport and didn't tell ANYONE - the SLED (SOUTH CAROLINA LAW ENFORCEMENT) found the car at the airport.

Who knows what his wife knew??? Maybe she told him to go. Get it out of his system once and for all. The original story was he was hiking to get away from his kids. THAT was just awful.

IF - IF he had been successful in his idea of NOT taking the money and keeping SC out of debt while every other state went under with the stimulus money he would have been a shoe-in for some continued higher public office. There is no doubt about that. It is widely thought his balking to accept the money was done for his own personal political gain.

Believe me - if you lived HERE you wouldn't be SO proud of our lieutenant governor Andre Bauer either - he's no angel. I can't think of the word for a mid-crisis vote - but I wouldn't cast mine for him.

Star*

call 911........call 911
He paid for the trip last year with taxpayer money -

But HERE is what is SO funny about this - Jake Knotts used to come into this little beer bar I worked in called the Meeting place. He lost a bet with one of our regular patrons and had to strip naked and run to the middle of the road touch the median and come back in the bar and put his clothes on. NOW HE is a representative -D. And HE"S making the biggest stink.

I want to type something in the paper so badly - but wont. I don't need men in white sheets coming to my house and burning a cross in my lawn - lol. (yeah it still happens here) .....honest to pete - our treasurer is a coke head and got a slap on the wrist - and a stay in a NM rehab - not even a year ago -

LOVE THIS PLACE - LOVE IT.

:faint::sick:

donna723

Regardless of whether he used State funds or not for his little 'adventure', he's been completely irresponsible, totally unfeeling towards his wife and children, and has shown an incredible lack of judgement - both in the fact that he did it in the first place and in how he handled it!

witzend

Wasn't he in Europe and unreachable a month or so ago during a firestorm?

I don't care who he slept with. It's the hypocrisy of his past statements not jibing with his actions in his own life that bother me, as well.

As far as the stimulus money goes, they're all going to take it. They get up on their high horses and SAY they are not going to take it, then they take it because the other guy made them. We all know they are all taking the stimulus money. I can't believe people are so naive to believe that saying you won't take it means a darn thing other than politics as usual.

Marguerite

Some politicians can handle it - and some can't. We've had a couple recently who fell to pieces rather spectacularly, one who attempted suicide one night in his office...

This governor and his adventure made it to Aussie news as well. We hadn't heard that his emails had been published - that would be an offence here, I think, if the emails were grabbed by someone who had no right to access those accounts. However, here in Australia we have our very own scandal surrounding an email which has swamped our poitical news on a national level for the last week.

I'll have to post separately...

Marg

DammitJanet

Im sure his emails were probably open book because they were done on government property of some kind. Either desktop computer at the office, one paid for out of state funds at his home that is furnished to him or state furnished laptop. Probably even his internet connection can be linked back to being funded by the state. Im sure he never even considered that.