I'm proud of my difficult child!

Kathy813

Staff member
difficult child's car has started overheating and husband told her that she can't drive it until we can get it looked at. She was unhappy because she wanted to go see her boyfriend (AKA PeterPan). We told her no.

We then went off to have lunch with easy child (difficult child was invited but didn't want to go). difficult child called while we were there and asked us to stop at the grocery store on the way home so we did. While I was walking up and down the aisles, difficult child called and said that she had done something really good and wanted to tell me about it.

She said that PeterPan had called and wanted her to come right over (yes . . . he says jump and she does but that's a problem for another day). So, she got in her car and started backing down the driveway despite the fact that we had told her not to take the car anywhere.

difficult child said she stopped at the end of the driveway and thought about it and realized that this was not a good idea. She said she realized if she destroyed this car she wouldn't have a car anymore and that we would be really upset with her. So she called the boyfriend and told him she couldn't come over right then and pulled the car back into the driveway.

This is exactly what DBT is supposed to be teaching her. To stop and think about her actions and the consequences of the actions before she does something. This is huge for my difficult child.

I told her that I was proud of her and that this was something to record in her DBT therapy book.

Only you guys would understand how excited I am that difficult child started to do something wrong and thought better about it. Hooray!!!

~Kathy

Calamity Jane

Kathy, that's wonderful. She's starting to put it all together and think like a easy child! I think it's so cute that she called you in the supermarket...she couldn't wait to tell you. Maybe soon she'll tell peter pan to go fly a kite!

InsaneCdn

Kathy, it's actually BETTER that she started down the wrong path and self corrected, than if she hadn't even gone and started the car... because it is very hard to self-correct once in motion... HUGE step forward!

Nancy

It's wonderful to see her put what she is learning into practice. Even more wonderful that she recognizes her progress.

Nancy