I'm Scared, prayers please

rejectedmom

Last year I had surgery to remove part of my elbow because my ulnar nerve was trapped and I had that "funny bone" feeling all the time and impared mobility of the ring and pinky fingers. I had improvement after the surgery getting back full use and only having numbness and tingling in the upper third of my pinky and ocassionally in my hand. About a week ago the tingling came back full force with no relief and now I cannot straighten out my pinky. I have a doctor's appointment today. I am afraid I will: a) be told I need additional surgery or B) be told that there is nothing more they can do and my hand will eventually be paralyzed and claw like. I am and artist this is HUGE for me. Also you might remember I'm the one who is allergic to all opiate diritive pain killers so I go through surgery with only motrin to relieve my pain. I'm trying not to panic but am feeling dread creeping into my psyche. -RM

Last edited:
B

bran155

Deep breaths......try not to jump the gun just yet! You will make yourself crazy and it is VERY possible that it is not as bad as you are thinking!!!

Try to stay calm. Let us know how the doctor goes.

Sending many prayers up to the big guy for you!

(((HUGS)))
Shawna

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Saying prayers and holding good thoughts.

If you need surgery again.........Now I haven't done pharm in many a year, but isn't there a synthetic (man made) form of morphine for pain?? I remember having something like that years back for pain.

My phone line drying out from last night's storms or I'd call easy child and ask.

(((hugs)))

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ya know - if you continue to do that slap to the back of a difficult child head your hand WILL eventually become numb...lol

I think you slept on it wrong....and tis just a temporary pinchy thing...

Hugs
GREAT WISHES! SENDING POSITIVE VIBRANT VIBES!!!!!!!

rejectedmom

Thanks everyone I'm a little calmer now. Your prayers must be working. I will definately tell you what the cdoctor has to say. I have to leave here in an half hour or so. I too am hoping it will just need a shot of cortizone and PT or something equally as tame for a fix. I am sure the doctor will need to do some more nerve conduction tests before telling me what the best course of treatment will be. Adhesions from the previous surgery are a possibility as is another entrapment at the wrist. I had broken my arm at the wrist when I was ten and also at the elbow as an adult. I have also had calcium deposits removed and been treated for tennis elbow a couple of times. So there is alot of history there. I guess I could have slept on it wrong but I would think that it would have cleared up in a day or so if that were the case but hey I won't be embarassed if that is all it is..In fact I'd be vvery relieved!

Daisylover, I have been able to take Oxycondone in the past without puking my insides out. It is the only one that I can take but this doctor will not perscribe it. I think because it is so addictive and there have been somany law suits over its use. I had the bone surgery last year and only had the motrin and used a Cryo cuff (which someone on this board had recommended). The pain was brutal for a couple of days but I got through it. I sure I will again if I have to but it isn't anything I look foward to.

LOL Star, only problem is that I slap with my other hand (just kidding I don't really slap anyone let alon difficult child who is way bigger than me). -RM

rejectedmom

I'm back from the doctor's. He took xrays of my hand wrist and elbow and I have to go for a nerve conduction test tomorrow. He said that there is definately something going on with the nerve but he is not sure that the inability to straighten out my finger is due to that. He said that it could be two completely different things. It is possible that I have gotten arthritis in the joint and didn't know it was happening because of the numbness of previous nerve damage. The xray will clear that question up. I will get the results of those tests next friday the 20th.

He said that the nerve might have to be surgically explored and may need to be buried deeper in the flesh of my arm and if that is the case he will send me out to a neurosurgeon. For now I am to rest it. He didn't want to put me into therapy until the tests are in for fear that we would just make things worse. -RM

Lothlorien

keep using some ice on the elbow. Did he tell you to Ace bandage it or use something to restrict the mobility somewhat? Maybe just a loose Ace around it with some light padding on that area to prevent you from banging it, but take it off at night while sleeping might help. Don't restrict the elbow too much or keep in a sling all the time, because you can develop a frozen elbow.