I'm so mad I could spit!!!!!

branbran

I got a call from my daughter today, she explained to me that she was taken off her Geodon and Concerta and now will be given a sleeping pill at night. WHAT??? First of all, how dare her Residential Treatment Center (RTC) make that decision without my knowledge nor consent!!! Secondly, what kind of sense does that make??? No treatment for her BiPolar (BP) or ADHD, just pills to make her sleep!!! One of her symptoms of the BiPolar (BP) is inability to sleep. Wouldn't you think the logical thing to do is treat the BiPolar (BP) and she'll be able to sleep at night. I mean, just a thought. To me that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!!! Not to mention, I wasn't even aware of these changes. By law, I am supposed to give my consent regarding any medication changes. This is the second time they have changed her medications without my approval. I am so angry. She has been in this facility since February and she was supposed to start a mood stabilizer months ago. That has yet to happen. Who do they think they are? She is not a foster kid, she was not taken away from me, in fact, she is in treatment as per my persistence. She has parents who love her, they do not need to make these kinds of decisions on their own. They aren't even allowed to. She has been doing so well, now she is going to regress and that is just not fair to her!!!! You know how hard it is going to be to convince her to take medications now?? I lost that power thanks to the idiots in her school. She'll never agree to new medications, she told me on the phone she is happy about the changes. I want to go up there and ring all of their necks!!!!! I mean what were they thinking?? How do you give a child sleeping pills, which are probably addictive, wihtout consent from their parent? On top of which not treat their illnesses. Even though it's Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday, I called and left messages with her therapist and my case worker at Social Services, I was so mad I couldn't wait until Tuesday. Let's see how long it takes them to return my call. My daughter is coming home for a weekend visit next week and I'm so afraid it isn't going to go well. Without her medications she can be unbearable. That is just not fair to her!!!!!!! I could just scream!!!!!!!

Just needed to vent. I'll keep you posted.

LittleDudesMom

Branbran,

I'm with you on both counts. I would be really angry with the medication change without your consent or noficiation. And I surely wouldn't wait for the huge Columbus Day holiday to be over (sorry, that was sarcasm) before calling those docs and demanding some answers!!!!!

Keep us posted.

Sharon

goldenguru

Well it will be interesting to see how they respond. Does she see a psychiatrist while in the care of the school? Maybe the doctor prescribed the changes. At 16, your daughter should have some voice in her own treatment in my opinion ...

Sometimes they like to take kids off medications to see how they will do. And if they are going to do so it is better to do it while she is in her Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and they can handle any negative outcomes. I only bring this up because my daughter opted to try to get off medications while she was in her Residential Treatment Center (RTC) ... I thought it was a good idea for her to do so where they could watch her 24/7. We were notified in advance and agreed to it.

The sleeping medication could be one of the new non-addictive types. There are several new ones on the market. Could even be a drug like Seroquel that induces sleep ... but isn't a sleep medication at all.

Let us know what they say.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I hope you get a return call soon or I'd be ringing them constantly!! Bottom line they are supposed to consult you and they didn't and that isn't o.k.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'd certainly ask for answers as well. Just out of curiosity, what age can your difficult child take charge of her own medical care in your state? Has your difficult child agreed to this medication change because it's her legal right?

Something to think about. In the meantime, I hope you find some answers. I always hated when I wasn't kept in the loop.

meowbunny

I've found that RTCs really aren't used to parents being really involved in the treatment of the kids they have. I used to have to fight tooth and nail to have any say in what would happen with my child. It actually took my social worker telling the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) that they would listen to me and do as I say in areas of punishment, what we did when we were together, medications (they put her on some and she started hallucinating -- she's hyper-sensitive to medications and can take very few, even OTCs can cause violent physical and mental reactions) -- I knew my daughter best. Until then, I was basically blowing smoke.

However, this is probably the best time for her to be off her medications. Let them get a true baseline of her behavior, see what can be helped with behavior modification and what truly needs medication. This MAY be why they did it. If so, be angry that they took her off the medications without your consent but have a wait and see attitude before insisting they put her back on. If they did it just because, then insist she be put back on the medications (if your state will let you truly have any say-so on her medical treatment at age 16).

No matter what, you should have been consulted and it be discussed with you. I don't know if you can get it through to them that you are to be consulted. Good luck!

busywend

I would be furious as well. I hope you get a call back soon, or I would be calling them every hour on the hour.

Frustrating!

:grrr:

branbran

Thank you all for your replies. I hope to hear from them soon or I will drive them nuts!!!! I agree with you meowbunny, I too don't think they are used to parental involvement either. Most of these kids do not have a strong support system at home. It is very sad. My difficult child has been in this facility for 8 months and would you believe I have not even spoken to the actual psychiatrist yet??? There has been about 4-5 different doctor's working for the school since my daughter has been there. Very high turn around. I have left several messages for the doctor to call me, I have complained to supervisors in the school as well as Social Services, I have complained about it to the third pary reviewer, and all to no avail!!! So now I am going to threaten them, if the doctor doesn't call me this week I will report the fact that they changed my daughter's medications without my consent!!

My daughter is happy to be off her medications, and if that is what she wants to try then I will go along with it as long as she can maintain herself, however at the very least I should have been a part of that decision. I don't think it will be beneficial to her as I know her best and have a very long history of ups and downs with her. She has not done well in the past without her medications, shoot, she hasn't really done well WITH her medications!! But she is in better control of herself while on medication.

The bottom line is I feel that I should have been notified of these changes, I should have been part of that discussion!!! It is the law.

Thanks again for your support, I'll let you all know how this plays out. :smile:

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I would just like to say I feel your pain. I know in our state things change over time that the child has been in Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

We are in a constant battle over our involvement. One Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is great the other not so much. Hang in there.

BEth

Steely

:devil: I would be fuming too..........and I mean FURIOUS!!!!! Can you change Residential Treatment Center (RTC)'s? Do you want to?
So sorry you are experiencing this............
Big Hugs!

branbran

Thanks WeepingWillow. This is actually her 3rd Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and ironically it's the best one so far. It has a really good reputation and my social worker says, if she had to put her daughter in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) this one would be the only one she would go with. My daughter has really made progress here, with the exception of a few minor complaints I am really happy with the care my daughter is receiving. This of course is not minor, I am livid about this!!! She came home last weekend for an overnight visit, her first one in almost a year, and she was absolutely wonderful. I can really see the improvement in her, however I'm sure it was somewhat of a honeymoon period. She'll be home this coming weekend and staying Friday and Saturday night, so we'll see how it goes. But of course I am expecting the worst as she won't be on any medications. I will be calling the school tomorrow every 30 minutes until I get someone on the phone.

Thanks for the support, I'll keep you posted.