I'm so very tired....

Betterdays

Hi Struggling Dad. I am new to these boards and happened upon your post after another sleepless night, wondering what to do about my 17 (soon to be 18 years old) son and his pot smoking. I am not kidding you, we could have written your letter, word for word...that is how much we can relate ~ up until the part about where your son got caught (which, like you, my husband has wished for more than once, and has also mentioned calling the cops himself so my son would get caught and maybe get "scared straight"). We have also experienced the lying (every time he opens his mouth, I just want to say "stop...stop talking" because I believe 99% of it is lies). We, too, had no idea my son smoked up until November, 2014, when I went into his car (that we helped him buy) and I smelled it. Since then, it has been one lie after another, groundings, fighting, punishments and same as you, holes punched in walls. I could go into more detail, but suffice to say, we have very similar stories ~ my son's grades have slipped (the plan for him was always to go to college, we moved to a town where education is the number one priority to give our kids the best opportunity of obtaining that goal); we always assumed it would be his goal too and although he has been accepted at the colleges he did apply to, we are not really sure that with his grades tanking like they are (he had always been a good student), college will even be an option. We also took him to see a counselor and the same thing happened ~ he went for a couple of sessions and said he was all set and hasn't gone back. I could make that one of the "requirements" from us, but he does just as you said - turns on the charm, probably lies his way through and everything seems fine to counselor. He did mention ADD to us, and I do find that he does seem to have trouble studying/focusing on his school work ~ I was sort of thinking that it was just because he wasn't "applying" himself but now I am wondering if it could be something more. He has also brought the pot smoking into the house and last night was the last straw for me - when I went into his room at about 1:30 to tell him to go to bed and I could smell it (again). He is out this morning, but planning on having a "discussion" when he gets in. He does have a job, but now I know that money is just going to buying pot, and as you said, even if he's not working, he never seems to have trouble finding someone to smoke with.

My husband and I have both questioned, repeatedly, what we could have done differently, did too much of, didn't do enough of. We are both hard-working, moral people. We have tried to teach our children those same morals and values. That is the other piece of our story, we have a 13 and 15 year old, also, who have been living with this (and stressing over it) for the last 5 months. I don't have any advice and really just wanted to say how similar our stories were (in so many ways that I didn't mention, but honestly, almost identical) and how helpful it was for me to read your post this morning. I am curious as to how your son is now doing and am hoping that he is on the right track and that your "struggle" is less intense these days...better days ahead for all of us, I hope.

Nomad

Staff member
I'm unclear exactly how old your son is. But, if your son does this current program and continues to have clear issues and he is under age 18, I would seriously consider a residential treatment center. Hopefully, the program he was put in by the court, followed by a good therapist, etc. will provide some help. Also, consider therapy for you and your wife, as these things are extremely taxing.

However, consider investigating Residential Treatment Center (RTC)'s for a possible need down the not too distant road. And, if he is under 18, consider it a blessing that you have an opportunity to get him in a good program (you would have to research this very carefully). At age 18, he no longer has to abide by your wishes.

Fingers crossed that he beats the odds and shows signs of improvement with this intervention alone.

Childofmine

one day at a time
Struggling Dad, I am really glad you are intervening now with your son and that there appears to be a lot of significant community support as well, along with drug tests, consequences, etc.

I wonder if that would have made a difference with my son, and his early behavior would have just been...well...early behavior instead of what it became.

Who knows?

I do believe the earlier intervention the better. Please keep us posted on him and on YOU. This is "tough sledding" and we are here for you.

strugglingdad

Struggling Dad, I am really glad you are intervening now with your son and that there appears to be a lot of significant community support as well, along with drug tests, consequences, etc.

I wonder if that would have made a difference with my son, and his early behavior would have just been...well...early behavior instead of what it became.

Who knows?

I do believe the earlier intervention the better. Please keep us posted on him and on YOU. This is "tough sledding" and we are here for you.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Not to butt in, but if you give ADHD medications other than Strattera to a kid that abuses drugs, you are out of your everloving mind!

Stimulant ADHD drugs are SPEED. They have a very high street value and are ground up and snorted, either alone, or mixed with other drugs.

Do NOT give ADHD medications that are stimulants to a drug abusing Difficult Child under ANY circumstances.

strugglingdad

I haven't checked in for awhile, but figured I needed to. My wife found drugs in our sons room this morning while he was in the shower. He completely flipped out, pretty much destroyed his room (holes in drywall, door off hinges, furniture thrown, etc) and came very very close to assaulting both his mother and I. I called the police because I was concerned that he was going to get physically violent with us and he ran out of the house. The cops picked him up and brought him home and basically all they could do was let him get ready for school and then take him there. I told them I'm not comfortable with him being in my home at this point because of the potential for violence and there's nothing they can do. He's 6'1" and 290 lbs. If he crosses that line it's going to be ugly.

InsaneCdn

You don't have a signature so I'll have to ask...
How old is he? 17? 16?

I'd be calling the cops every single time he gets violent whether it is toward property or people. If he's flipping out that badly, maybe you need to get them to transport him to hospital for psychiatric evaluation?

Calling them isn't because THEY can do much, but because it starts creating a paper trail.

Do you have a safety plan for the others in the house?

strugglingdad

He turns 16 in 9 days. Not exactly how your 16th B-day is supposed to go. To make it even better, I just got off the phone with the Principal of his school. He got in a fight and has been suspended for 10 days. He's going to miss all of his finals and probably won't graduate 10th grade as a result.

Man I'm sick of this crap.

UpandDown

I too have a son who just turned 16 and has been caught smoking pot in our house. We confronted him and he seemed scared enough about getting caught that he promised to stop. The past few weeks have been better and we allowed him some small freedoms again. However,this morning I smelled the all too familiar smell coming from his room after he left for school. I found a toilet paper tube crammed with dryer sheets all covered in brown soot. I am currently waiting for him to come home from school so I can let him know that he is busted. I am so angry and disappointed. I just took him last weekend to open a checking account and get a debit card. He was so excited. This past weekend he went to the mall with friends ( I dropped them off, feeling happy that he was having dinner and a movie with friends- good clean fun) He came home with this long story about not being able to use his debit card at the movies.So he took out cash to get the tickets instead. I should have known right there that he was setting the stage for me since I monitor his account. Now I am certain he used that cash to buy the weed. He hasn't had money in quite a while due to getting caught. I am so tired of living my life trying to be one step ahead of him. My husband calls it a game of cat and mouse. I have 3 other younger children who have to live this life and that is probably the hardest part. I am sorry that you are going through this too. I wish I had answers. I can offer that there are so many of us struggling too.

Betterdays

Thank you for your response, Copabanana, it is appreciated. I haven't been back on here in awhile and am sad to see that Struggling Dad is still experiencing more of the same. My son is now 18; we have good days and bad; he is graduating this weekend and plans on working this summer and we are planning on having him start paying for his car insurance and other incidentals so he will have less money to spend on other "things"; we will also have him start giving us money to put away for college, which he is attending in September. We have not had him smoking in the house or the car since we "laid down the law" but I know he is still getting high and doing something called "vaping", which I am not entirely sure what that process involves. He gave me a big hug this morning and told me he loved me, and I believe he does; he also keeps telling me "I am the same person I was before, it's just now you know I smoke pot". There has been less arguing, we are trying to find a way to live together in a way that is good for everyone (myself, husband, two younger children and him) until he goes off to college in the Fall. Right now, things seem to be going "ok" ~ he has been coming home on time and there haven't been as many "blow-outs" ~ whether it's good or bad, I have had friends tell me to "set the bar low" and that is sort of what I have done. Our main issues were his smoking in the house and his lack of respect for others in the house ~ I stand firm on those and he has seemed to be better about adhering to them - it's still a struggle, but one that I hope will end with us being friends, at some point, if not tomorrow, sometime in the near future! Hang in there, Struggling Dad ~ I definitely feel for you!

toughlovin

Struggling Dad,

I am sorry the police were not more helpful! Do you know if the police have a youth officer. Sometimes the cops who come to a call dont know all the options, all they know is if there is probable cause to arrest someone etc. If they cant arrest them then in their minds there is nothing they can do. Well depending on the state sometimes there is a lot more you can do. So check to see if the department has a youth officer who might be much better informed about your options. If not see if your area has a department of youth services... or worst case call child protective services and see if they can help. I think if you can get some help from some other "authorities" your son might relize he needs to listen.

InsaneCdn

15, going on 16, grade 10.
been there done that.

I won't trade places... but yes, it's a tough spot. Between hormones, drugs/alcohol, and likely some mental health and/or developmental issues... it's a TOUGH road.

We beat up school over it being a mental health issue - which bought us time for another round of testing (which still didn't give us the real answers, but DID bring some "outside professional advice" as to better ways for teachers to approach this kid).

If you can somehow survive the next two years, we found that the medical system magically changed as soon as he became an adult. We started getting REAL answers, and fairly FAST, too.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
"Vaping" is the heating of a liquid, leaf, or wax/oil in a device and inhaling the vapour released.

I am a former cigarette smoker who is still addicted to nicotine. Instead of inhaling the smoke from burning tobacco leaves, I use a device called a personal vaporizer or "e-cig" to inhale the vapour produced by heating a flavoured liquid containing nictotine.

A marijuana user vapes marihuana by using a personal vaporizer and specialized "cartridge" to heat ground marijuana leaves to release a vapour containing the THC and other chemicals in marijuana that produce the high. Those vapors are then inhaled.

Vaping marijuana has become popular because it releases more of the active chemicals, produces much less tell-tale odor, and produces much less irritation of the of the lungs and mucus membranes.

In addition, many marijuana users also are addicted to nicotine, so your son may be vaping nicotine via the flavoured "e-liquids" as I do, as a safer alterhative to traditional cigarettes.

Hope this information helps. Note that vaping nicotine is NOT harmless. Nicotine still has deleterious effects upon the body. However, vaping does avoid the tars and other carcinogens in actual smoke.

If you or any other readers have questions about vaping, please feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to answer them for you, or to refer you to outside resources.

Regards,
toK

comatheart

I've been in your shoes. Personally, from what I've read i would offer the following suggestions..

1. If the ADD medication they gave him is a stimulant, you need to lock it up and disburse it to him. They abuse them or sell them at school!

2. Put him in a treatment center while you still can. Once he's 18, you wont be able t9 force himto go. He very likely wont buy into it and many relapse soon after, especially at this age. He will learn the tools though!! Having the tools will be invaluable some day when he decides to get himself clean.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck! This parenting thing is SO HARD.

strugglingdad

Just to update all on this saga....

difficult child is now in a residential treatment facility and has been there for a week. When we talk to him on the phone each evening, he's angry, abusive, and tries to blame all of this on us....we mentally abused him about homework, we hate him because he does drugs, etc. He's stated that he's never going to stop smoking pot, and that we're wasting our time by putting him there. I've been told to F**k off so many times I've lost count. I finally just hung up on him tonight after he told me that I can just forget I have a son and that once again, I could f**k off. So...

I'm really to the point of figuring out how to survive him until he's 18 so he can leave, I can change the locks and move on with life. Am I being hasty or is there still hope here? I'm not seeing it.

Nomad

Staff member
This placement is a positive first step. Sure, he's angry and belligerent. He's lost all his power, so he is lashing out double time. But, it was your best bet. This way he is away from drugs, away from destructive peers, getting counseling...probably both group and individual counseling and perhaps down the road, you and your wife will be brought in to work out issues with him.

This is also a great time for you and your wife to get some, more than likely, much needed rest and counseling for yourselves. No doubt you've been living in something akin to a war zone.

I think it's great that you hung up on him. This is the real world and it's high time he decided to join it. He is not a toddler and even if he was, he would be put in a time out. If you speak to people in that fashion, they are going to: tune you out, unfriend you, fire you, ignore you, call the police, punch you in the nose....etc. they are NOT going to "take it," and neither should you.

Plenty of time to prepare for when he gets out of the tx facility. If he returns to your home, you'll put rules/boundaries in place. And your attitude will be "take it or leave it son" life moves on.

Might sound a little foreign to you right this second, but enjoy life ...go to the movies, nice dinners with your spouse, weekend away....
Blessings.

comatheart

Hang in there! That's not your son talking, its the drugs. Give it some more time. In the meantime, I agree with Nomad, do something for you while someone else is responsible for him!!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It's not just the "drugs talking", he's also going through withdrawal. The jury is out as to whether or not marijuana is physically addictive, but psychological addiction to THC is fairly well documented in those succeptible. Extant mental health and behavioural issues are going to be exacerbated in addition to the usual resentment and anger at the loss of control that goes along with placement in a residential setting.

toughlovin

Hang in there....my story is very similar. My son was in residential treatment as a teen, came home did well for a while...we had to kick him out at 18 . He told us he hated us etc etc etc. now he is 23 ....and finding his way. He is living in another state but we are going to visit and he wants us to come! I don't think he blames us any more and can tell us he loves us!

So your journey is not over and neither is his. So yes hang up on him when he gets abusive, no reason for you to take that treatment. However continue to let him know you love him.

Best advice I ever got from a therapist when we kicked my son out at 18 .....at that point a part of me just wanted to walk away and write him off. She told me to stay in touch, to text him every few days. Tell him I love him but don't invite him home. So I did that and he didn't respond at first but when he got arrested he called us....and so over the years we kept our relationship going....but did not take abuse from him.

Childofmine

one day at a time
He is at the best possible place he can be right now. Relax, breathe and don't let him abuse you. Truthfully, people who don't want to change probably won't change with a first stint in rehab but...there is still merit as he is off the street, not using and hearing ways of thinking that may help him later down the road. All good.

Just keep your expectations low to nonexistent.

Focus on you. Take care of you and your wife. Get help. start going to alanon. It can save you both and your relationship.

Warm hugs and lots of prayers.