I'm speechless. What next?

Abbey

Spork Queen
H brought home a 'surprise' for me last Friday...another Degu for a companion to the one he already got. It was SUPPOSED TO BE A MALE.

Well, I get home from work and he says he has another surprise. We now have 3 baby Degus.:mad:

Anyone want to adopt?

Abbey

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
difficult child once had the classroom pet, which happened to be a Degu, when she was in 6th grade. It wasn't even her class, but she loved the little guy.

Unfortunately, we have cairn terriers, which are basically natural ratters so difficult child's door was closed the whole school vacation and only came out when our dog was out for his walks.

On the morning she had to return him to the school, H was trying to get the Degu because difficult child had let him roam her room...outside her door, our dog was going insane (he just knew there was a rodent-like animal in there!)...and when H finally caught the thing, it bit him! Hahahahah. H was soooo ******. difficult child was not allowed to bring home any more school animals.

I'd take one, but now we have three little ratters in residence. I think they are cute, except for the tail.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Star, you're always such a help.:tongue:

They have to be separated at 4 weeks because they can ALREADY reproduce and can leave mom at 6 weeks. I taped a huge piece of paper on the fridge with that day. I told H...you have three choices - you either find a home for them by that day, take them to a shelter or I'll flush them down the toilet. I am NOT going to be a degu factory.

I am the biggest animal lover, but this is too much. He's on craig's list trying to find separate cages for the little buggers in 4 weeks. I said...NO MORE CAGES IN MY HOUSE.

They are adorable, though. In less than 24 hours their eyes are open, squeaking and running around. Kind of amazing.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
I know.....GIVE THEM A COOKIE....or 5 - MWHA HA HA HAAAAA....that will take care of the little .......diabetics.

(FYI....Degus can not process sugar) .......:confused: - they were originally brought here from Chilie to use as test animals for diabetes.

Always glad to help. :surprise:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I wonder if Degus even can taste sweets? Cats lack the digestive pathways to handle most carbohydrates (sucrose, etc., completely), and they cannot taste sweet stuff at all.

It's another one of those weird things about animals, just like how BIRDS cannot taste capsiacin (the chemical in peppers that tastes hot to us and other mammals).

Not only are hot peppers added to bird feeds as a repellent to squirrels and the like, but some species of bird actually love hot peppers. The current guess is that they might taste sweet to them, but no one really knows.

Wiped Out

Staff member
This won't be at all helpful but I'm just glad it's you and not me! I think I'll be going to my corner now for the first time!

tiredmommy

Here's a thought (hijacked from Jo's post): try calling a few local elementary schools to see if anyone is looking for a class pet.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
TM's suggestion is good.

I'm glad I no longer have to deal with such things. And Nichole is showing restraint in her own apartment. She has 1 kitten and 1 puppy, both who are very well behaved with awesome personalities.

I keep telling her the puppy is so eager to please cuz she's grateful she didn't have to walk the green mile. (Nichole adopted her from the kill shelter)

Thankfully she doesn't have room for anything else. lol

KTMom91

I'm so glad you don't live close enough for Miss KT to decide "they're so CUTE!!!" and get the rat cage out to put one in. With seven cats, a Jack Russell, and three adults in an 800 square foot house, we're full.

Mattsmom277

I wanted easy child to pick a Degu when we decided she could have a new pet as long as it was a caged one. She chose a rat, which has become the focal point of our family entertainment. He's a pretty neat and hilarious guy! But we (S/O and I) still want a degu. If you lived close, I'd definitly take one.

I don't blame you though for not being able to handle so many critters!! I hope you find them good homes.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Poor Abbs.

*snort*

If it wasn't for Chester, Cloe, difficult child's "responsible" attitude and our small house, I would take one or two.

Oh...and the fact that no matter how cute it is....it still has a rat tail. *shudder*

Star*

call 911........call 911
1st Annual front yard - bet on a Degu - snow race......

Place your bets......Win, Place, Show.....And the big L....

You could sew little Degu silks....with numbers....put them in a starting box.....take bets.....and lift the gate.......LET ER RIP........to the finish line where there will be no one there to catch them (awwwwwww)

Collect the money and then YOU make like the Degu and keep on running.....

(Man that is on Brilliant Star in the sky) ;)