I'm such a MEAN Mommy

H

HaoZi

Because I won't extend her computer time by an hour. Whine whine whine. I can see it escalating to another meltdown. She's tired and won't admit it, but she'll work herself up so much she won't be able to sleep for quite a while, either.
*headdesk*

[/vent]

H

HaoZi

LMAO. I am amused by her new threat - "I will txt tlk if you don't extend my time!" by IM.

Andy

I know how you can be meaner. Take away her cell phone - no texting! Ohhh what a MEAN MEAN Mommy!

They do come up with the funniest threats sometimes. Its so we don't become too mean - how can we when we are laughing inside?

LOL!

H

HaoZi

She texted on IM. She doesn't have a cell. At this point, she's slapped me, thrown her glasses, and is now crying at the kitchen table and saying life isn't worth living.

M

ML

Oh and when manster makes similar threats and I lol, he gets furious and that escalates the meltdown even more. I really have to hold back.

H

HaoZi

School already got canceled for tomorrow, so I told her if she had the extra hour tonight there would be no comp tomorrow and I knew she didn't want that since she'd be home all day. She's drawing and much calmer now. Not happy, but calmer.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh you are SUCH a monster! :rofl:

When difficult child 1 used to go into a meltdown over something similar and begin threatening me, I very sarcastically commented to him, "Oh wow -- screaming at me throwing things at me, hitting me, and threatening me -- those are just the things I was going to suggest you try to get me to change my mind!" Often this would stop him in his tracks, and send him storming to his room with a door slam for good measure. Hard to believe I was living that just a few months ago before we tweaked his medications!

Good luck tomorrow! I don't envy you being stuck with her for another day in her current state.

H

HaoZi

This is normal for us. :( The sarcasm just winds her up worse, logic doesn't stop her.
She's back to whining and crying and denying how tired she is and how she "needs" to check on her RP.

T

TeDo

There must be something in the air. Having the same ridiculous scenario here. difficult child is actually crying himself to sleep as I type. Good day but he lost it about an hour ago over something ridiculously minor. Had no school today and so far they're planning on 2 hours late tomorrow to allow for some of the 12+ inches of new snow to be plowed. Expecting 25 mph winds tomorrow so not sure if there will be school at all. I just hope difficult child wakes up in a better mood than he went to bed with.

I feel for you HaoZi. Good Luck!

H

HaoZi

It's nice that the sight of them asleep reminds us that we love them! I thought her last wind-up might be a prelude since she looked so tired, but I've seen her fight sleep for hours before.

T

TeDo

You've got that right. When he is asleep is the only CONSISTENT time that I am reminded how much I love him.

susiestar

Roll With It
WOW! Is that all it takes to be a mean mommy? Gee, whiz, I thought I had to actually make them DO homework before I got that award!! LOL!!!

I used the sarcasm too, but only after Wiz was about 11 or 12. Before that it just wound him up more. No matter that he was sarcastic to ME when I was upset with him. Our idiot tdocs kept telling me that being sarcastic was child abuse of an emotional type because "kids don't understand that you are not serious". They went so far as to say that I was "encouraging" and "teaching" Wiz to throw, scream, hit, etc... by saying the words taht gvcmom said.

Wiz looked all serious and nodded and agreed wtih the therapist. Until we got out of the office then he looked at me and cracked up for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time. When he stopped he told me that line about me encouraging him to act badly was the funniest thing he had heard and he KNEW that I wasn't serious and who was this idiot telling us this?

gotta admit, it was a really good laugh we shared, lol. I guess we ARE twisted as a family.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm laughing here because the same thing happens at our house and, yes, they do look angelic when they sleep!

B

Bunny

You've got that right. When he is asleep is the only CONSISTENT time that I am reminded how much I love him.

Oh, I so agree with that!!

We went through something similar Sunday night. difficult child was angry because I asked him to empty the dishwasher, which is a normal chore for him to have to do, and suddenly he was ranting about how I "ruined" his whole day. Because he kept going on and on I warned him if he did not stop I was going to take away the controlers to his video games. He didn't stop, so I took them away. OMG! Apparently, at that moment, I was the meanest mommy that ever walked the earth.

Goodness, we must be the biggest gathering of mean mommies on the internet.

Pam

shellyd67

Well HaoZi you can add me to the "Mean Mommy Club" LOL difficult child constantly tells me how mean I am and I don't care about him, blah, blah, blah ...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Our idiot tdocs kept telling me that being sarcastic was child abuse of an emotional type because "kids don't understand that you are not serious". They went so far as to say that I was "encouraging" and "teaching" Wiz to throw, scream, hit, etc... by saying the words taht gvcmom said.

O that's SUCH a "Dr. Phil-ism" - every time you are sarcastic, or even raise your voice, you change the child forever. All the bad behaviors you see are just a reflection of your own actions. So if you begin by changing yourself - no more yelling, no more sarcasm, no more bad words, and treating every one with utmost respect - THEN your child will reflect back nothing but positive words and deeds.

What a crock of **** (Oops, there I go - ruining my children again!)

I think if you are in the "Mean Mommy Club" - then you are doing a FABULOUS job as a Mom!

Good for you!!

B

Bunny

O that's SUCH a "Dr. Phil-ism" - every time you are sarcastic, or even raise your voice, you change the child forever. All the bad behaviors you see are just a reflection of your own actions. So if you begin by changing yourself - no more yelling, no more sarcasm, no more bad words, and treating every one with utmost respect - THEN your child will reflect back nothing but positive words and deeds.

Daisy, if that were really true, then none of us would have difficult children. I'm sure that when our kids were babies none of us threw things at them, screamed at them, told them that we hated them, punched them, kicked them, hit them, or spit on them. So, if we were all loving mothers who spoke to our babies with loving mommy voices, how did we change our children to the point that they became difficult children? And I know that when our kids do the right things and we praise them for it, why do they not continue to do the right things if all it takes is positive reinforcement? Seriously, Dr. Phil never had to raise a difficult child and I resent when he, or anybody else for that matter, who has never had to walk in our shoes, tells us how easy it would be to change difficult child behavior.

Pam