Implementing the IEP: whose job is it?? IEP assistance required here please.

Greetings all~
8 yr old difficult child is mainstreamed in 2nd grade. Has an IEP and the MFE actually expires here on 17 Jan (but they have yet to schd. a new one...)

Briefly here is the set up - we have this lovely,,, simply lovley IEP that was crafted quite well by last years "Cross Catigorical Resource Room" teacher. It has behavioral goals, social goals, criteria - student will preform _____/ 10 out of 11 times, and was approved by our psychologist who sat in on the origional IEP for this year. Note - i said last years CCRR teacher and no mention/input from this years general ed. teacher.....

The issue - on the 10th of Dec. 03 I met informally (no schd. mtg/no documentation) with this years CCRR teacher as it is listed in the IEP that difficult child be in attendance to the CCRR for 30 minutes a day... and asked what services were being provided as the behavior goals for the IEP were not being met, difficult child seemed to be on a down slide, etc. etc... She informs me that she is overworked, that her aides are untrained, that there really needs to be 2 class rooms - one behavior, one learning, and that difficult child is recieving no specific intervention as he is a model student (ok - gasp with me now) in that class room. (quick laugh - it gets worse). In fact, she replied, difficult child comes to the CCRR daily, does the typical class room work which his peers are doing in the typical general ed. class room independently, and then walks himself back down to his class room at the end of the period. (by this point I want to know where they hid my kid) So.... we verbally agreed that she would rearrange her schd. (her idea/offer) and spend that 30 minutes 1-1 with difficult child in the mainstream class room. This would allow her the opportunity to personally observe difficult child (never done prior), and to offer the oppertunity to excel if difficult child got the gen. ed. stuff done ahead of time - typically the case. None of this has yet to happen and she has yet to attempt any communication with me on any of this - no followup, no excuses or apologies, nothing.
The question - We know that Aspbg. is a fun issue that many folks are unfamiliar with - however the CCRR teacher has specialized in Autism for the last 6 years... What can I expect the school to do for difficult child intervention wise? There still are violent outbursts (verbal/physical), there still are emotional meltdowns, there is still the torn schoolwork when frusteration occurs. How much or what can be listed in the IEP as to what the school will provide for difficult child? At this time they do provide a full time aide (this has been a good thing)but whose responsibility is it to do anything as the CCRR says it is the gen. class room teachers responsibility - she laughs and says it is the CCRR responsibility. No where is there anything saying what will be done as an active intervention program other than access to an aide.

Also, how much is too much? I want to keep him mainstreamed. We are in a good school district, they just wont give you the menu from which to order to tell you what is possible.
As to my efforts difficult child is in sports, does a social group, goes to the psychiatric., does nightly homework (while i stand like an eagle from above). But again, what can/should be expected of them - the school system?

Additionally, we have found that there are some occassions where behavior has been unintentionally set off, and delt with inappropriately - like "when finished with math problems color in the shape with the corresponding color listed on the chart"... While you and I may mindlessly color the pizza blue for the sheer mindless fun of it difficult child has a cow - "Pizza is not blue mom". :frown: Followed by a melt down - "I told them pizza wasnt blue", followed by an outburst - "I told them I was going to the CCRR" - followed by bewilderment - "I told the substitute aide not to touch me mom but she tried to catch me so I ran" :eek: (to the ccrr :laugh: ) which leads to a loud intense rage - "She grabbed me mom before I got to the door :mad: - but look mom, the math answers were right. :rolleyes: " So we do need some specifics there too - like only those trained can restrain him - with documentation sent home afterwards too as to why restraint was necessary.

With all of this being said - i requested in writing a review/revision be held ASAP today so they have a few days to respond and schedule one. these games of whose job is it and pass the hat are getting old and today was yet another melt down day... isnt the first week back always one of the most memorable??

I did find a post with the IEP4U link - that has helped a bit. Any other suggestions? Thoughts? Reading material?

OK, off to bed with this night owl. Thanks again!

Sheila

Can't answer what is "too much." It would depend on your child's needs.

Regarding responsibility for implementing the IEP, I don't do a lot of "talking" except by correspondence which is sent by certified mail. It leaves a paper trail. I also use follow-up letters of understands regarding verbal agreements or meetings.

Depending on the circumstances, I write correspondence to the Principal. Sometimes I cc it to the Special Education Director and/or Superintendent. Have been known to write the Superintendent and cc the Principal and Sp Ed Director. That way, the "responsible" party's boss is cued as to the problem. The buck usually stops with-the Superintendent.

Handling behavior issues should also be included in the IEP. If the teacher/aide doesn't know how to do that, I'd request they have further training.

Alisha Leigh~

Thanks for the insight. I have been roaming your archives and have found some great links - legal insight and all. And yes, the power of the printed document is known well- shame on me for wanting to take someone I tell my kid to trust at their word.

I guess what needs cleared up is if they state 10 different behavior goals/objectives thats nice and all-- but what can be expected of the SD to help achieve these goals. Magic wands aside here is there/are there specific things we can ask for/list in the IEP? We have a good dist. like i said, and they will do what you ask - most of the time - but you have to know what to ask for. It is here that i am clueless. Should we look at accomidations (he has some listed for standardized test taking), soc/behavior groups?, I dont know...
One other option is to look at an "alternative school" with an open learning environment. I have an appointment, there on Fri. AM for the difficult child wanna be who goes off to Kindergarten next year.
Thanks again for your insights.

Lizz

Hi.....

You asked "who" is responsible? For each goal written on the IEP there is a section on the page entitled: IMPLEMENTOR---this MUST be a specific person....the sd should NOT write in STAFF, ED TEAM, THERAPISTS,etc.

At the end of each marking period the person responsible for implementing the objectives tied to each goal MUST sign off on the doucment. If the doucment reads STAFF---more than one person (ALL STAFF) must sign off on it.

When a professional signs off on the progress of an IEP goal, that person is also responsible for monitoring progress and working on the strategies stated.

For example
Goal: To improve classroom behavior to an age-appropriate level OR to develop coping skills during times of academic frustration

Objectve: Student will raise his hand (put head down, put red card on corner of desk, etcc.) when he is frustrated with a math problem.

Evaluation: 3 of 5 opportunities

Implementor: Classroom teacher

Your son also needs a Functional Behaivoral Analysis and a Behavior Plan. These two documents will provide a detailed description of his problematic behaivors as well as an intervention plan for EACH one.

The BIP must also be evaluated regularly and must indicate who is responsible for maintaining the plan and evaluating its success.

I think that this is VERY important for your child When you participate in the developmen of this plan you can detail what the staff should and SHOULD NOT do to avoid triggering your son's inappropriate behaviors.

If you need more info on this, let me know

Good luck!
Lizz

Student will raise his hand when frustrated with a math problem and wait for the teacher