In honor of spring....

AppleCori

As for cockroaches and other creepy things, no thanks! I hate insects in general.

My hubby has a particular phobia for roaches. He has said many times that if our house had even one roach, he would have to sell it.

But he is OK with the ones in cages, as long as he doesn’t have to look at them.

I don’t like roaches either, but I like to support my daughter’s passions.

She has faithfully cleaned the tanks, changed water, etc. since she was little. Hubby helped for the first few years, but the last two or three, she has taken over the chore almost exclusively. Plant watering, too. She loves anything biology.

Pink Elephant

My hubby has a particular phobia for roaches. He has said many times that if our house had even one roach, he would have to sell it.

But he is OK with the ones in cages, as long as he doesn’t have to look at them.

I don’t like roaches either, but I like to support my daughter’s passions.

She has faithfully cleaned the tanks, changed water, etc. since she was little. Hubby helped for the first few years, but the last two or three, she has taken over the chore almost exclusively. Plant watering, too. She loves anything biology.
I think it's great getting kids involved with such. It not only contributes to their learning of things, it teaches them responsibility.

KTMom91

I like purple. The plan is to paint the house a sage green, white woodwork, and purple accents on the wooden frames of the screens. We need a new roof first, though.

After I stripped the door, which was a story in itself (the house was built in 1924), I left all the layers under the door plate, in case someone after me wants to restore it and see what colors they were using back in the day. It's a beautiful blue purple, accented with copper paint in the panels, because the hardware is copper. Cleaned that up, too. Beautiful raised filigree work on the handle and plate. I wish I still had the old key.

On a related topic, I was planning on painting the bathroom door, took the plate off, and saw it was that beautiful mahogany under about 50 layers of paint! Now that the weather is good, I'm going to have Hubby take off the door and put it out back so I can strip the paint and seal it.

Pink Elephant

I like purple. The plan is to paint the house a sage green, white woodwork, and purple accents on the wooden frames of the screens. We need a new roof first, though.

After I stripped the door, which was a story in itself (the house was built in 1924), I left all the layers under the door plate, in case someone after me wants to restore it and see what colors they were using back in the day. It's a beautiful blue purple, accented with copper paint in the panels, because the hardware is copper. Cleaned that up, too. Beautiful raised filigree work on the handle and plate. I wish I still had the old key.

On a related topic, I was planning on painting the bathroom door, took the plate off, and saw it was that beautiful mahogany under about 50 layers of paint! Now that the weather is good, I'm going to have Hubby take off the door and put it out back so I can strip the paint and seal it.
Does that ever sound lovely. I'm picturing the missing key right now. So timey. What a wonderful idea leaving layers of old paint behind as a way to provide gentle direction for future owners.

BusynMember

The only thing I am positive I will get for my new house is a welcome mat that says something like "Wipe Your Paws" which go with my love of animals. Could be a few cute small dog statues too.

I do nothing the old fashion way and dont expect to in this house either. I love my dishwashers, washers/dryers, crock pot and, if I end up babysitting a grandchild, the baby will be raised with every modern conveniences so that Grammy has lots of time to spoil and play. Pappa too!

I don't like the idea of washing dirty clothes in our tub.

I do plan on a small garden of pretty flowers and perhaps another one with veggies.but my husband will have to help me so that I dont murder them. I wish Princess lived here. She has a golden thumb and a huge garden in her yard.

The deck will have modern outdoor furniture, maybe a two person gliding swing somewhere. This is all very much husband and me. Our personalities.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

The only thing I am positive I will get for my new house is awelcome mat that says something like "Wipe Your Paws" which go with my love me of animals.

I do nothing the old fashion way and do t experience t to in this house either. I love my dishwashers, washers/dryers, crock pot and, if I end up babysitting a grandchild, the baby will be raised with every modern conveniences so that Grammy is free to spoil and play. Pappa too!
I do plan on a small garden of pretty flowers but my husband will have to help me so that I do t murder them.
Love the mat idea!

As for modern conveniences the older we get, I support your love and use of such, SOT.

So nice to know you have a flowerbed or two. Nothing like waking in the morning and enjoying the colourful sight of a garden.

So happy for you I am, SOT.

AppleCori

I like your plans for your house, KT.

We will be needing a roof in five years or so.

AppleCori

This will be the first year we probably aren’t going to plant a garden. We are so busy and will be gone quite a bit, and don’t have time to tend it this year. I may get some tomato plants, though.

Pink Elephant

I like your plans for your house, KT.

We will be needing a roof in five years or so.
We're in the same spot as you, Apple. We'd like to have a metal roof installed this time around, but the added expense is a problem. husband is hoping to put it off until next year, maybe the year after, so we can save a little more towards it.

Pink Elephant

This will be the first year we probably aren’t going to plant a garden. We are so busy and will be gone quite a bit, and don’t have time to tend it this year. I may get some tomato plants, though.
That's always so hard. You really do need to have spare time on your hands to manage a garden properly and enjoy it's benefits.

Love the sounds of fresh garden grown tomatoes! Nothing compares.

Pink Elephant

Apple. We had a large garden (vegetable) when I was a kid, and what fun we had helping mom and dad pick peas, and those fresh cucumbers and tomatoes were so good! We ate fresh garden grown veggies all summer long.

Pink Elephant

Apple. Your mention of hating dragging the hose out to the garage, reminded me of a little something.

As young kids my mom would ask us to take out the garbage, either to the back-alley for pickup (garbage day), or out to the garage, and I remember the whining and moaning that would ensue. LOL!

If only was so easy now.

AppleCori

Now, for my front porch.

I just swept and straightened it, before I posted, of course.

I have six steps up to the porch. White railing around it. Could use a bit of paint, I noticed.

A blue chair (which matches my front door) has bowls of cat food and water for any stray cats. Probably gets eaten by chipmunks, too. I also have a bench painted blue that I sometimes put out instead. The chair had a blanket on it for the cats, but I just put that in the basement for the summer.

I have a small stool next to the chair, with a watering can planter. No flowers, yet, but I plan to get some. It is lime green.

The only other item on the porch is a three-foot tall metal peacock. I love metal birds, mostly chickens, but this guy is special. I have a serious thing for metal birds.

OK, the story behind the bird.

Several years ago, hubby and I and my daughter were at the state fair. We have gone together every year since we met, and it’s kinda a tradition. It’s also work-related for hubby, as he is in the agriculture industry and visits a lot of clients while there.

So, we are there, and I want to take pictures in front of some cardboard cut-out of something or other (I can’t remember now what it was). There was a line, too, cause that counts for fun around here.
Well, I was taking too long, apparently, getting things just right before I took a picture, and hubby got irritated and made a remark. Loudly. Well, I was embarrassed and angry. We promised long ago not to ever be unkind to each other.

Well, he was immediately sorry, but I wasn’t having it. To make it up to me, he saw this booth with these metal creations and other stuff and started asking me if I wanted one and begging me to pick out some stuff so he could buy it and assuage his guilt. I did pick out the peacock and he carried it around all day.

He is such a sweet guy.

Last edited:

AppleCori

That's always so hard. You really do need to have spare time on your hands to manage a garden properly and enjoy it's benefits.

Love the sounds of fresh garden grown tomatoes! Nothing compares.

We are seriously considering a metal roof next time, too.

What color? I would go with blue.

Pink Elephant

Now, for my front porch.

I just swept and straightened it, before I posted, of course.

I have six steps up to the porch. White railing around it. Could use a bit of paint, I noticed.

A blue chair (which matches my front door) has bowls of cat food and water for any stray cats. Probably gets eaten by chipmunks, too. I also have a bench painted blue that I sometimes put out instead. The chair had a blanket on it for the cats, but I just put that in the basement for the summer.

I have a small stool next to the chair, with a watering can planter. No flowers, yet, but I plan to get some. It is lime green.

The only other item on the porch is a three-foot tall metal peacock. I love metal birds, mostly chickens, but this guy is special.

OK, the story behind the bird.

Several years ago, hubby and I and my daughter were at the state fair. We have gone together every year since we met, and it’s kinda a tradition. It’s also work-related for hubby, as he is in the agriculture industry and visits a lot of clients while there.

So, we are there, and I want to take pictures in front of some cardboard cut-out of something or other (I can’t remember now what it was). There was a line, too, cause that counts for fun around here.
Well, I was taking too long, apparently, getting things just right before I took a picture, and hubby got irritated and made a remark. Loudly. Well, I was embarrassed and angry. We promised long ago not to ever be unkind to each other.

Well, he was immediately sorry, but I wasn’t having it. To make it up to me, he saw this booth with these metal creations and other stuff and started asking me if I wanted one and begging me to pick out some stuff so he could buy it and assuage his guilt. I did pick out the peacock and he carried it around all day.

He is such a sweet guy.
Lovely story!

LOL, about the metal peacock bird your husband had to carry around all day. I would have been half tempted to make him sleep on the couch that night, too!

I'm like you, Apple, in that I love garden ornaments and statuary. Not too much, just a piece or two, enough to add additional interest.

The blue chair reminds me of the old white wooden chair I still have from when my kids were little. It was the nursery chair when my kids were babies, sitting in each of their rooms by their crib.

I breastfed while sitting on that chair, I burped while sitting on that chair, and I even took my kids over my knee and warmed their bottoms (when needed) while sitting on that chair.

I think every family has a special chair with a story or stories behind it, or at least every family should.

Pink Elephant

We are seriously considering a metal roof next time, too.

What color? I would go with blue.
husband is steering towards black, because our winters are so cold. Black should help absorb heat as well as shed snow better due to it retaining the warmth of sunlight on warmer days.

AppleCori

husband is steering towards black, because our winters are so cold. Black should help absorb heat as well as shed snow better due to it retaining the warmth of sunlight on warmer days.

I would like a black roof, too, but hubby has an irrational dislike of black on houses.

I had originally thought the trim, doors, shutters, etc. could be black and white, but he didn’t like that idea. I have seen cool looking black gutters, but he likes the traditional white.

Whenever we walk, I will point out black trim, trying to trap him into liking at least one, but he is onto my tricks.

He says we get too hot here for a dark black roof, but I could see it being different up north a ways.

Pink Elephant

I would like a black roof, too, but hubby has an irrational dislike of black on houses.

I had originally thought the trim, doors, shutters, etc. could be black and white, but he didn’t like that idea. I have seen cool looking black gutters, but he likes the traditional white.

Whenever we walk, I will point out black trim, trying to trap him into liking at least one, but he is onto my tricks.

He says we get too hot here for a dark black roof, but I could see it being different up north a ways.
I like white gutters and downspouts, too. Somehow they look better to me, that is on more modern or common homes.

I think for warmer climates I would choose something more light and bright, but our winters are so long, and we get clobbered with bone-numbing temperatures and lots of snow.