In honor of spring....

AppleCori

What’s on your front porch/stoop/entryway/balcony/deck (or whatever else)?

Or, what do you want to put out there?

Tell us your plans....

KTMom91

I saw a doormat online that says "There's, like, a bunch of cats in here" that I want to get. The spring wreath is already on the door, and I haven't decided what will go on the shelf under the window. I bought two pumpkins for Halloween, and didn't get around to moving them after Thanksgiving. They still look just fine.

Pink Elephant

Nothing as we speak, but within the next few weeks I plan on cultivating the two cast stone urns that grace the bottom step of the back porch, and planting some colourful flowers in them.

Additionally, in honour of spring, I have been hanging washing on the outdoor line again, and boy have I ever been enjoying that.

Fun post, Apple!

KTMom91

You mean does my porch reflect my personality right now? My front door is purple. There are sunflowers on my mailbox. There's a bird feeder and a bowl for the "outside kitties" that are strays or just hungry.

Yes, it does.

Pink Elephant

OK, ladies, let’s take this a step further.

Does it reflect your personality?

How so?

I bet it does!
Oh yes, absolutely. I'm old-fashioned to the bone, so hanging laundry on the clothesline has me written all over it, just as a yard with colourful flowers and plants and shrubs and things tells on me, too, because that's who I am, I love gardening and all things gardens.

How about you, Apple? What's on your porch, stoop, balcony, etc, and how does it relate to your personality?

Lil

On my front stoop?

Dirt.
Cobwebs.
An old welcome mat.
A bench, which keeps little kids from falling down the (unfinished concrete) 5' wall beside the landing, because we have no railing.
A concrete griffin statue.

I WANT to put a railing, which has been gone since we had new steps poured, so my friends, neighbors, and visitors don't break their necks. (And ME!) I also want to put stone on the wall and then put some nice plants in tall black planters...maybe something red, like poppies.

The Griffin will stay. His name is Ken. Jabber and I bought him on a lark when we took a trip somewhere and spotted a place selling statuary on the way home.

Does it reflect my personality as it is? Well...it certainly shows I'm a terrible housekeeper and procrastinator, and that I like fantasy creatures. So yeah, I guess so. :p

AppleCori

I knew there was a correlation between the outside decorations and personality. It’s what we want the world to see. At least, the things we have intentions of doing, not necessarily the reality!

Any funny or interesting stories related to the stuff? Or, heck, maybe just an uninteresting story? Most of mine are pretty bland, but I will tell them anyway, in a few moments....

AppleCori

You mean does my porch reflect my personality right now? My front door is purple. There are sunflowers on my mailbox. There's a bird feeder and a bowl for the "outside kitties" that are strays or just hungry.

Yes, it does.

Any story on the purple front door paint?

Pink Elephant

I knew there was a correlation between the outside decorations and personality. It what we want the world to see.

Any funny or interesting stories related to the stuff? Or, heck, maybe just an uninteresting story? Most of mine are pretty bland, but I will tell them anyway, in a few moments....
Yep, related to my clothesline, yes.

When I was caring for my grandchildren (oldest daughters kids), I had all sorts of baby things out on the line all the time. Diapers, t-shirts, sleepers, pyjama tops and bottoms, rubber pants, you name it, and the conversations that erupted over such was astonishing.

Aside from the fact I was still using a clothesline was incredible for some, but the fact that this old-hand was using real diapers (cloth), really made for some funny and interesting conversations, and I'm talking with complete strangers! Strangers who were just walking by... and always women. Single women, married women, and of course, older moms who could relate to what I was doing.

AppleCori

Yep, related to my clothesline, yes.

When I was caring for my grandchildren (oldest daughters kids), I had all sorts of baby things out on the line all the time. Diapers, t-shirts, sleepers, pyjama tops and bottoms, rubber pants, you name it, and the conversations that erupted over such was astonishing.

Aside from the fact I was still using a clothesline was incredible for some, but the fact that this old-hand was using real diapers (cloth), really made for some funny and interesting conversations, and I'm talking with complete strangers! Strangers who were just walking by... and always women. Single women, married women, and of course, older moms who could relate to what I was doing.

Interesting!

Can people see the clothesline from the front of the house/sidewalk?

AppleCori

Well, we are on the back deck right now. Daughter is doing her math out here and I am sweeping off all the birdseeds!

I have two fish tanks sitting out here empty that need to be cleaned.

Back deck is pretty boring, but it got me to thinking about what’s out there.

OK, to the front porch....

Stay tuned...

Pink Elephant

Interesting!

Can people see the clothesline from the front of the house/sidewalk?
Not from the front of our house, but from the back and side, yes. The clothesline starts right at our back porch (one pulley is bolted to the outer wall right beside the door, and the other pulley is affixed to a tall wooden pole at the very end of our backyard, so anyone walking or driving by our house on the side or back has a clear view of the clothesline, especially from the alleyway.

I think for some people, they have a hard time wrapping their heads around people who still do things the old-fashioned way.

Pink Elephant

Well, we are on the back deck right now. Daughter is doing her math out here and I am sweeping off all the birdseeds!

I have two fish tanks sitting out here empty that need to be cleaned.

Back deck is pretty boring, but it got me to thinking about what’s out there.

OK, to the front porch....

Stay tuned...
Awww... sounds so homey, Apple. Yes, I sweep birdseed, too! We have more Dark-eyed Juncos this year than I have ever seen!

Pink Elephant

Apple. I remember the days when my kids were babies. The highlight of my evenings, was getting them ready for bed and once I had everyone tucked-in for the night, I'd light a cigarette and make my way outside to stroll around the yard admiring my freshly weeded flower beds, new plantings, and the neatly cut green grass.

AppleCori

I won’t mention how long those fish tanks have been out there waiting. It can be better measured in weeks than days, though.

It just wasn’t warm enough most days, I think....

And I keep meaning to get one of those rolling water hose holders. We used to have one attached to the side of the house, but it went when we got new siding and we don’t want to put holes in it....

I hate dragging the hose out of the garage, and lots of other excuses....

Pink Elephant

I won’t mention how long those fish tanks have been out there waiting. It can be better measured in weeks than days, though.

It just wasn’t warm enough most days, I think....

And I keep meaning to get one of those rolling water hose holders. We used to have one attached to the side of the house, but it went when we got new siding and we don’t want to put holes in it....

I hate dragging the hose out of the garage, and lots of other excuses....
LOL! Do you own fish? Or are the tanks an extension of your outdoor gardening?

I love those hose wheel thingies, too. So quick and easy, and no getting your hands all dirty holding onto the hose and looping it over an ordinary hose holder.

AppleCori

LOL! Do you own fish? Or are the tanks an extension of your outdoor gardening?

I love those hose wheel thingies, too. So quick and easy, and no getting your hands all dirty holding onto the hose and looping it over an ordinary hose holder.

Indoor fish tanks.

My daughter has always been crazy about animals. Especially unusual ones. We have Madagascar hissing cockroaches, which we have traveled with on occasion. And, surprisingly, most of my relatives and friends aren’t thrilled. They don’t care for the mice either. We don’t bring them in the houses, of course. Except my daughter’s house, but they are her fault. She sent the roaches as a gift for my youngest who had been talking about them, but my hubby said no. So she sent them anyway. We love them, though, after the shock had worn off.

We haven’t been replacing the fish as they die, though, because daughter has been getting busier with her activities and school, and we just don’t have the time to devote to fish tank cleaning like we used to. We take care of them until they are gone, though.

Pink Elephant

Indoor fish tanks.

My daughter has always been crazy about animals. Especially unusual ones. We have Madagascar hissing cockroaches, which we have traveled with on occasion. And, surprisingly, most of my relatives and friends aren’t thrilled. They don’t care for the mice either. We don’t bring them in the houses, of course. Except my daughter’s house, but they are her fault. She sent the roaches as a gift for my youngest who had been talking about them, but my hubby said no. So she sent them anyway. We love them, though, after the shock had worn off.

We haven’t been replacing the fish as they die, though, because daughter has been getting busier with her activities and school, and we just don’t have the time to devote to fish tank cleaning like we used to. We take care of them until they are gone, though.
How great that is. We had a really large fish tank as kids, and before betting it, my mom made it clear that it would be us kids cleaning and maintaining it, and us kids agreed, but because it was such an involved job for younger moms, my mom was stuck with the tank cleaning, and what a job it was.

If only fish were easier to care for.

As for cockroaches and other creepy things, no thanks! I hate insects in general.