Inappropriate "doggie" behavior?

DammitJanet

If that pit comes into heat, which she will somewhere around 6 to 8 months, you are going to have some very cute little puppies on your hands. Pixers are very cute. Big, playful and cute. Im not entirely sure Abby's daddy didnt have a little boxer in him because Abby loves to box with her paws.

BusynMember

There are sooooooooo many dogs in shelters. Our doggies don't need to breed.

I love pitbulls, but they are outlawed in so many places, I'd be afraid to own one. What do you do if you have a beloved pet Pitball and suddenly the breed is banned? I think it's best to fix your pups. I do think it's hilarious that some men think about their own manhood when they think about neutering a dog :)

donna723

MWM, my dad was exactly the same way about having the male dogs neutered. He had no problem with having the females spayed but absolutely refused to have the males neutered. A lot of men felt that way ... hits too close to home, I guess. In our case, if there was a female in heat anywhere in the neighborhood, our male dog would manage to get out of the yard so he could "get acquainted".

And I too love pit bulls. They're wonderful dogs in the right hands. But I agree that most people don't need to be breeding them. BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) is a sad fact of life in many places. And when selling or giving away those puppies, do you really know what those new owners intend to do with them? I wouldn't want that responsibility. Even in a small rural town like ours, every week there are at least one or two ads in the paper for pit bull or pit mix puppies. And I guarantee you that in a year or two, almost every one of those dogs will end up in the animal shelter where they will be euthanized. They don't adopt them out, they put them down almost as soon as they come in the door. People consider them a threat even if the dog hasn't shown any aggression at all. There is so much ignorance out there, but it IS out there and a lot more education is needed. And most people can't tell a real pit bull from a dozen other similar breeds so it affects lots of others too.

DDD

Cane is a male, too. He's around 22 lbs now but, of course, will grow to be a big dog. I "think" they said he is not pure pit but a "blue" mix??? I was pleased last week when they checked into a training class for him although they decided to wait another month or so. Guess time will tell and I do feel better after reading all of your posts. Personally I'm only familiar with boxers, labs and retreivers...all of which we adopted from people who had already completed basic training so we've never had to teach ! DDD:bigsmile:

MyFriendKita

difficult child has a blue pit mix. When he brought her home (at 7 weeks), I asked him if she was going to grow up and eat us. But she is a sweetheart, and we love her to pieces. We had problems with her at first because she got into everything and chewed up everything (including the walls in the kitchen). I finally happened to catch a Dog Whisperer show where the owners were having the same problem with their dog. Once we realized the key was to make sure she gets PLENTY of exercise every day, we haven't had a problem. But they are a very high energy dog--or at least our granddog is. And very assertive--she requires a strong hand.