Increasing Prices

DammitJanet

I dont have much use for someone who hunts and doesnt eat what he kills. Or donate it. I never thought I would be involved with hunting given that I was city born and bred but now I am in a country family. My kids have been hunting since they were big enough to hold a gun. Well Billy doesnt hunt but that is because his eyesight is so horrible he cant hit the broadside of a barn. He used to just go out with Tony as the bird dog...lol. That is the way most of the little guys started out...bird dogging. Picking up all the dead doves during dove season. He also got to try at turkey shoots but simply wasnt any good so his interest waned. Jamie and Cory were winning at turkey shoots at 6 years old. We had 410 shotguns for them back then.

As far as how to make venison not taste gamey it is very easy. You have to dress that deer the day you kill it. Tony butchers all his own meat. He brings the deer home and we have a stand that he hangs it from and removes the skin and innards and then bleeds it all night. He cuts it into pieces and puts it into coolers filled with ice which he changes for about 3 days until the ice water is pretty much clear. Then he brings the meat in and cuts it up into roasts, stew beef, steaks, ribs, the neck bones go in a big bag to cook for a stew, he strips off some of the tougher meat to go into bags for grinding for sausage and burger. All the large bones go for the dogs. Some people soak venison in milk but you dont need to if you have prepared it correctly before freezing it. As long as you soak it in ice water for a few days before butchering it, it will take all the gaminess out.

I have several tried and true recipes we use constantly.

Lisa...Tony has said we can send you some fish if you want some. All we have to do is pack it in dry ice and ship it overnight. He goes deep sea fishing at least 3 times a year. Right now he doesnt have a fish to clean but as soon as he gets one we will video it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet if he does that I will need recipes to go with the fish. LOL My mom flat out refused to cook fresh fish. So the only fish I've prepared is out of a box. Except shrimp and crab legs. I keep eyeing the fish in the butcher area of krogers. I do need to eat healthy but it would be nice if it wasn't so darn expensive.

But I'd greatly appreciate the video whenever he happens to have one to clean. No major rush. We've got a warm spell going on, but I expect the cold to come back and slap us in the face a few times before it gives way for good.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh..........I'd popped in to add I was just at the local market.................the Big container of Jif (you know like the family size, I mean the really big one) is 13.00!!!!! HOLY MOLY!!!! Do they really expect people to pay that for peanut butter???

I didn't pick it up. I've got enough peanut butter to last ......... oh, lord knows how long. I may be donating it before we can eat it. I'd picked it up when it was cheap for husband (usually kroger generic unless the name brand was cheaper).....I have a ton, the man existed on peanut butter and cheese. Travis and I like it once in a while. But after seeing those prices, I was like wow I'm glad I stocked up when I did.

DammitJanet

Lisa, fish is easy. Just flour, salt and pepper and fry in about an inch of oil in the frying pan. Cooks fast. When it is a light brown is it down. Drain on paper towels of even a brown paper bag.

You made no mention of the rabbits. No go? Tastes just like chicken...lol. You could have a winters supply of meat off of two rabbits. Fricassee, fried, stew, dumplings....just dont tell the grandkids they are eating thumper. Thats the reason I wont allow the movie Bambi in my house.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, I love rabbit. It's just about the same issue as with the chickens. Housing them would be easier, but I'd have to feed them........and I'm not sure I can afford to feed more animals right now.

And no, I wouldn't tell any of the family what they were eating. LOL Grown kids are about as bad as the grands. I kept my mouth shut until after they ate the deer and buffalo. :rofl:

DammitJanet

Well rabbit pellets at the grocery are about 6 bucks here for enough to feed for 2 weeks. Im sure you could get it a bit cheaper at the agrisupply place. You would have to learn to butcher them though. Im sure there is a youtube for it though.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Another good recipe for fish (especially white fish) - Oven to 350, fish slightly cooler than room temp. Fish in glass baking dish, sprinkle with garlic & onion powder, bake for about 20-30 min till flaky. Salt and pepper to taste... Kids love it.

Or use Italian dressing instead...