Influx of "facebook friends" that I don't know.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
In the year or so I've had my facebook account, I've had one person that I dont' know contact me to be a "friend" and he was someone who was playing that farmtown game.

About an hour ago, within a 15 minute period, I got 5 requests from people all over the country requesting to be my friends.

I can't look at them from work, I only got the email notification. Only one of them has a profile picture, tho.

How odd.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Whenever you join one of those facebook apps, you are competing with other people in that app. So, as your 'farm' grows you will be contacted by others to be friends so that you're not competing against them, but with them. At least, that is how it works in any of the other apps I've joined. And also the reason why I dropped out of those apps. At one point, my sister had over 2000 friends. Finally she created another facebook page just for family. Now when she's playing mafia wars, she signs in under her old name. Way less junk on her home feed page.

I routinely go through mine and delete friends that I don't really keep up with, such as old acquiantances where we said hello, caught up but don't really talk ever. What is the point? If my stuff is easily viewable through her page, that means her friends can see her comments on my page, Know what I mean?? So, I deleted some old friends from HS. It was nice to catch up but we're never going to hang out ever.

Don't feel guilty rejected someone who wants to be a friend or deleting anyone. If you're on an online application like that, most people's feelings don't get their feelers bent over stuff like that and if they do, you're better off not having them on your friend's list! LOL>

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, I got rid of my farm, and I don't do the mafia or anything like that (who has time!!! I'm consider myself lucky to even have a facebook page!)

Just thought it was odd to get so many at once.

My sister in law got 3 of the same requests. She's rejecting them, too.

Andy

When you are in facebook, in the section to either accept or ignore, there is often a sentence next to the person's name something like, "You have one mutual friend" (I don't know the exact wording). If you click on that, you can see who that person is that you know knows the person.

I have received a few "friends of friends" that I usually will not accept unless my friend specifically asks me to. I have lots of people who are friends of my cousin just so that I can have enough neighbors on Farmtown to do things. Again, in that situation, my cousin suggested the names of people I could contact and I explained in the request who I was.

I also have a high school class reunion coming up next Summer. We are trying to track down everyone so I need to check that "mutual friend" thing to see if they are connected to a classmate (last names can change and I wouldn't know the new name).

Mattsmom277

Ok, so you know how with hotmail, gmail, yahoomail etc we get all that spam? Well i have read a bit of how that is leaking over to facebook. So people assemble lists of email addresses in order to spam. They get more money for selling email lists of active and open, functioning email addresses.
Well now, enter facebook. A whole new way for scams to be pulled on the unsuspecting. You can not only search for friends on facebook via their name and their location, you can also search via email. Any email used to sign up for facebook that is also used on a spam list, can lead them to finding your facebook account and sending a friend request. With the advent of all the facebook apps, we often can add people that we suspect want to play farmtown etc etc with us. BUT, if might be a account looking for future people to spam.
I handle these by deleting the friend request and dont' think twice about it. If it was someone who really wanted to add me for normal reasons, I'd think if theres a chance I wouldn't recognize the name that they'd send me a private message to identify themselves and why they are hoping to add me. If not? Oh well.
just hit delete. Where there is a will theres a way, meaning it was only matter of time for facebook to be exploited. Stinks but it is much easier to weed through imposters on facebook thankfully.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I only have real friends as my friends/neighbors on facebook apps. The reason being........I had that issue on MySpace with the zillion friends just for the games........and I don't even play them anymore. lol Although I can say I at least didn't get any real nut jobs or anything.

I'd just ignore/reject them.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I find Farmtown to be one of the most annoying thing on FB. During the first few days I was on FB I got suckered in to that stupid game. I'd say 90% of the junk email I get is from people who have 'worked on my farm.' Shoot...I only went there once and that was yearly a year ago. I wish I could get off of that silly thing.

I get lots of friend requests, but they do not go to my email. I never accept if I don't know the person.

Abbey

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Be aware that there is currently a nasty virus going around on Facebook. I'm not sure of the specifics, but it has been in the news media the past few days.

I don't use ANY social networking site. Odds are good that if I haven't bothered to find you, I don't need to talk to you.