Information on GABA please

Estherfromjerusalem

Dear all,

Having read the entries on GABA a few days ago, I went to two homeopathic chemists here in Jerusalem to buy some. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Could someone please give me more details. Maybe GABA is an American trade name and maybe there is some information which can be understood internationally.

I would be very grateful. Both I and my son Oriel could do with something to calm us down, and this sounded like just the thing.

Thanks in advance,

Esther

moonglow

Ok, hopefully I can help, I got my GABA book out. GABA stands for gamma amino butyric acid. My book says it helps with depression, pain, panic, addiction, hyperactivity and ADD. It is an amino acid. I tried it on myself but think I took too much, body is very sensitve to this kind of thing. It relaxed me, made me a little sleepy but made my stomach feel weird. It seems to be helping my son quiet a bit though.

Also on the back on the book it says it controls anxiety, functions as a muscle relazant and creates neurotransmitter for enhanced brain function. It is something our body already produce but in some of us we don't get enough of it.

I was at my wits end with my difficult child and ready to call the dr to put him on medication when I thought I would call the health food store first. I described Nathan's behavior and she knew excatly what I was talking about. She said alot of parents come in here and buy this for there kids. It also helps them relax enough to sleep.

Now I don't know how well it will work under extreme stress. When I was having a major anxiety attack the other night and posting on here late, I had kept taking the GABA, it finally put me to sleep but I felt like hell the next day. Also difficult child has been wonderful on it, but is at his dad's for the weekend a place he does not want to be.

I went over there last night so we three could go to the church hallua carvinal and difficult child was his usual pain in the neck self. I tried giving him some GABA and he spit it out. Being really rude. When we got there he did OK except for two incidents which embrassed the you know what out of me. He was tired and stress and probably somewhat overwhemled with everything going on.

For the most part he did OK and calmed down more after he ate. The place I got it charged 15 for a one ounce bottle and difficult child gets one drop for each ten pds of body weight. Good luck I hope you find it and I really hope it works.
smile.gif

------------------
Julie with son named Nathan which mean a gift from God. Some gifts are hard one. Possible new life form, in therapy now to figure out why he does the odd things he does. Good thing he is so cute. Motto: There is light at the end of the tunnel, you just have to find the right tunnel.
Nathan my difficult child, no medications. Will be four in December.
Me, mom on 20 mg on Prozac. 38yrs old, an older mom but don't seem to be any wiser.
DEX: totally insane but thinks everyone esle is.
Wish some space alien's would come get him and take him back to their planet.

HI,

Q: SHOULD I TAKE GABA MORE THAN ONCE A DAY?

A: Specific studies have not been performed to indicate whether this would be of additional benefit. However, viewing the literature, one cold surmise that an extra
5 gram dose during the early morning hours would generate another 5 1/2 fold spike in plasma growth hormone, thus providing the benefits of elevated growth hormone levels.

Feedback from hundreds of users has provided anecdotal evidence indicating
this dual GABA administration technique is very beneficial. If you have the discipline to wake up in the early morning hours for the second dose you could very well experience an even greater effect with supplemental gamma
aminobutyric acid (GABA).

More than two 5 gram doses in the evening would not be recommended as this would put you near the 18 gram diminishing return level as pointed out in the research.

Q: WHAT IS GABA?

A: GABA, Gamma Aminobutyric Acid, is an amino acid that is classified as a neurotransmitter (A neurotransmitter is a substance that transmits nerve impulses across a synapse. A synapse is a region where nerve impulses are
transmitted across axon terminals).

GABA's High concentration in the hypothalamus suggests this amino acid plays
a significant role in hypothalamic-pituitary function. The hypothalamus is a region
of the posterior section of the brain that is the regulating center for visceral
(instinctive) functions such as sleep cycles, body temperature and the activity of
the pituitary gland.

The pituitary gland is the master endocrine gland affecting all hormone functions
of the body. One primary hormone of concern to the athlete is growth hormone (GH) and its various hormonal constituents.

The amino acid GABA has been shown in numerous studies to promote significant increases in plasma growth hormone levels.

Q: HOW IS GABA TAKEN?

A: Its peerless design allows for unique sublingual administration. This allows for
superior uptake and utilization. This is of utmost importance where neurotransmitter amino acids are concerned.

This sublingual application is simple and effective.

Place 3 to 5 grams on your tongue. Immediately the GABA will dissolve. You then
transfer the dissolved GABA solution under you tongue and let it remain there for
2 to 3 minutes. You can wash the remainder down with some water.

Q: WHEN IS GABA TAKEN?

A: GABA is taken before going to bed on an empty stomach. When we say "empty". we mean at least 45 minutes after your last meal. Taken GABA at this time works worth you body's natural tendency for increased growth hormone release approximately 90 minutes after you fall asleep. This evening dose
correlates well with GABA's slight sedative effects for a restful nights sleep.
Q: WHAT DOES GABA TASTE LIKE?
A: GABA is a pure amino acid. Its taste can best be described as "slightly medicinal or chemical". It is not repulsive in any way, yet, because of its purity it will have this medicinal quality to it. There are no flavorings or fillers of any kind
adulterating this product.

Q: CAN I MIX GABA WITH A PROTEIN DRINK?

A: You can take GABA with any other supplement, just not at the same time.
Taking GABA sublingually by itself as instructed has been shown to produce the
best results. As with all singular free amino acids you want to provide a
noncompetitive atmosphere that will allow for superior utilization. So if you are
taking other supplements, space them throughout the day so you not take them
at the same time you take GABA
Because you take GABA right before going to sleep, this is rarely a problem.

Q: ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS WITH GABA?

A: Aside from the positive side effects of building lean muscle mass, some
individuals may experience some of GABA's other unique qualities. Some people report a skin surface tingling sensation for a few minutes after taking GABA. This is not uncommon and can be likened to a "niacin flush". Some also report a slight shortness of breath for a few minutes after taking GABA. This also is not uncommon and its nothing that is of serious concern. These are common yet unexplainable characteristics of GABA.

These symptoms occur in some people but not in others. Some people will experience one or both of these sensations every time the use GABA. Others will experience it sporadically with the use of GABA, and yet some will never
experience it when using GABA. These temporary sensations are not indicative
of the effectiveness of GABA nor are they harmful in any way. These are just inherent characteristics of supplementing GABA.

Lastly, GABA has a slight relaxing or sedative effect which makes it ideal for use
right before going to sleep. Many people report improved sleep patterns and a
well rested feeling upon arising. Colorful and somewhat lucid dreams are also
frequently reported.

Q: WHEN CAN I EXPECT TO SEE RESULTS WITH GABA?

A: This varies form person to person. Some notice an almost immediate feeling
of well being. Nagging injuries seem to disappear and workout recovery times are reduced dramatically.

Many report a decrease in body fat and an increase in lean body weight are noticeable in as short as a two week period. However, to fully appreciate GABA's effectiveness an eight week program is suggested.

Q: WHAT KIND OF STUDIES HAVE BEEN DONE ON GABA AND GROWTH HORMONE RELEASE?
A: There have been literally hundreds of clinical studies on GABA and effect on
growth hormone elevation.

As with most nutritional studies, GABA research has come directly form the
medical community. One noted study form the First Medical Clinic, University of
Milan in Milan, Italy titled "Effect of acute and repeated administration of gamma
aminobutyric (GABA) on growth hormone and protactin secretion in man", shows just how effective GABA is.

------------------
Nancy
ODD/BIPOLAR/ADD Girl 6 1/2 yrs
Off All medications
Fav. Funny quote-"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably
still be a dog. <Sigh!> There's so little hope for advancement."
- Snoopy
With Out GOD, my life would fall apart!!!!!

Estherfromjerusalem

Nancy and Julie,

Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply to me, and in such detail! Unfortunately all the people here where I work have come back from their trips abroad and I am so busy at the moment that I haven't got time, so I have printed it out and will take it home to study. What is the GABA book?

Actually, I am finding it difficult to find the time to read through all the postings. And if I don't do it quickly enough, they start disappearing at the end of the list (it only keeps up to about 5 days' worth, and I haven't figured out how to extend the number of days. I will do so in the end).

Thanks a lot!

Esther

At Dogchopper's request I have moved this topic over to the Natural Treatments forum. Everyone that is interested please go there

------------------
Nancy
8 yo difficult child/ODD/Adopted, 12 yo easy child

moonglow

I got the GABA book, just a little thing at the same place I bought the GABA. It is by Billie Jay Sahley, Ph.D. difficult child is yelling for me. post more later.

------------------
Julie with son named Nathan which mean a gift from God. Some gifts are hard one. Possible new life form, in therapy now to figure out why he does the odd things he does. Good thing he is so cute. Motto: There is light at the end of the tunnel, you just have to find the right tunnel.
Me, mom on 20 mg on Prozac. 38yrs old, an older mom but don't seem to be any wiser.

Hi there!

I went and bought the GABA from the GNC store here in town. Costs a fortune. Anyway, it would be cheaper if I had bought two but I wasn't sure how it would work for me.

These pills (huge see-through capsules) are 750 mg, and they suggest two to three per day. I have been taking them for the last two days in the am and the pm. I gave one to difficult child last night before dinner (after?) rather than give him a half of Adderall (which we had missed giving him). Frankly, he appeared to me more relaxed than anything. He said that he was a bit sleepy but that was all.

The first time that I had taken one, it made me very jittery, kinda that shaky feeling if you don't eat something. But after the 2nd dose, it didn't feel that way.

Hopefully, I'll lose some body fat, too! Anyone want mine? I have about 20lbs of it that needs to come off........maybe difficult child should have it, since he's the reason that I started overeating! Stress is wonderful, isn't it?

But I'll say this, GABA has really helped me be on an even keel. Sure, I got mad about something yesterday but there wasn't the intensity of my usual rants and raves.

So, my question is this: where do you find the liquid version and is it better than taking the pills? The only thing that I haven't liked about the pills is the size of them. Can I open the pills and put the powder into something? Especially for the little guy?

Thanks!

------------------
"That which does not destroy me, only makes me stronger"

"Life is just a honky-tonk show"

Me: 33 and nuts
husband: 42 and nuts
difficult child: 8, stepson, and dxd with- ADHD, depression, ODD and Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD); most likely has Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAE) and PTSD, too

Alphabet soup, anyone?

easy child: 11, my son, living in NY
easy child: 6, my daughter, living in NY
easy child: 16, stepdaughter, living with- us, reason we're nuts

moonglow

I got the liquid at a downtown store so I could give it to my difficult child, plus I have a really hard time taking pills too. I read in my GABA book that you can open the pills and put the contents on your togune.(?) It works faster that way too. I took some GABA last night before I went to bed and slept really good. Not going to take my Prozac this morning...going to give this GABA a chance to work and see what happens. The liguid I got is a once ounce bottle, cost 15, but you only take one drop per ten pds of body weight. I only took five or six drops last night because my body is very sensitive to that kind of thing.

My GABA also says you should take vitamine B6 to help your body absord it and magnesium enhances the effects.

I've been giving the GABA to Nathan first thing in the morning, because about an hour after he gets up he turns into a bear. And mid-afternoon and before bedtime. I was told I could give it to him two to three times a day.

I could lose some weight too but I hope Nathan doesn't lose any. He is just right on his weight. Of course the little stinker is in there munching on Halloween candy right now. No breakfast, just candy. I'm such a bad mom....

------------------