infrared burner on my new grill

Lothlorien

Can anyone please explain what the heck this is used for? There is absolutely nothing in the manual telling me what you would use this thing for and I've never seen this before.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Googled infrared burners on grills and got this article:

Chars a steak on the outside but leaves it rare in the middle.
What if I told you there's a grill that will cook foods in half the time of any other grill? A grill that can produce the kind of heat necessary to char a 1" steak on the outside but leave it rare in the middle. A grill that can reach cooking temperatures above 700oF. How, you ask? The Infrared Burner. The infrared burner works by focusing the flame of a standard gas burner onto a ceramic tile that has thousands of microscopic holes in it. This converts the heat of the flame into infrared energy, the same energy you feel from the sun on a cold day. This heat is much higher and more persistent than a standard grill can produce.

Sounds like it concentrates heat to cook quicker (or burn faster if you don't watch it).

Star*

call 911........call 911
I quiet believe Loth has the USS Enterprise of the grill world.

I bet it makes brownies.

Lothlorien

It's an Amana. It's really not that fancy. My husband got it because our other (very expensive) stainless steel grill was absolute cr@p! I told him that I wanted a name brand grill and it had to have drawers instead of the useless cabinets. We are keeping it in the garage now and wheeling it out onto the driveway when I want to cook with it. I don't want it left in the weather. I would like to get more than three years out of this grill. We had a Weber and that only lasted a few years too and since those are so expensive, I'm not paying the price for a weber when the Amana was less money and appears to be just as good. husband went for the one with the infrared thingy. I'm gonna have to figure it out. I bet they are probably good when you're ready to char the chicken after it's cooked. I like chicken almost burnt, so we cook it inside first and then grill it so it's cooked properly.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Scottie looks over your shoulder - and whispers on your neck -
Hey good looking what ya got cookin'?

-THEN Captain. Kirk. Gets. Angry.

Maybe it will beam you somewhere else when difficult child is being difficult child.

Lothlorien

Nope....I just want the Scottie named Gerry. I'll cook him dinner anytime! He can whisper on my neck, anytime too!

Ooops! Did I just type that???? I'm fanning myself now. I don't even have that infrared thing going yet!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Who among us would cook steak - when you could have

BEEFCAKE?????

I'm more of a head turner for blonde blue eye Norse men. Someone who I could make knoephla soup and Lutefisk for.
Yum to the K yuk to the L.