Initial meeting

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Went - OMG - like a dream come true. Its one of those things that you now sit and wonder what's gonna go wrong, cause this went too right.

They not only didn't argue over the para, they already had planned for it. They have a para in place even for lunch. They are prepared for him to "honeymoon".

The teachers from Montessori were great. Particularly when the director, who is the teacher who CAN handle him, said she didn't want to see him go, she adored him, but it was a matter of safety to the other students.

We didn't get to the review of existing data, and just this meeting took well over 2 hours, but it was great. His teacher is (scarey) a first year teacher, but she did her student teaching in a really tough inner city school and had experience with aggressive kids. And I really think the fact that she's new is going to be against us - she's not set in her methods, she's young, and I think difficult child will "bond" with her.

We will have another meeting in a week or so to go over the existing data and start the evaluation procedure.

For now, he will be in a mixture of the self-contained classroom and the mainstream room, always with a para. We are going in tomorrow after the kids leave to see the school, meet his teacher, find the rooms, etc. Friday afternoon, we will go in, maybe have lunch, and spend part of the afternoon with the other kids in the building. Hopefully it goes smoothly and he'll start on Monday.

As I say, I'm sitting her wondering what's gonna go wrong, but this, so far, went really, really right.

Thank you for the good thoughts and prayers!

Jena

Yea, you soo needed this and difficult child!! I'm so so happy for both of you! such relief. don't worry think good thoughts. :)

Marguerite

That sounds really positive. I'm very glad for you.

Will you be using a Communication Book? I thoroughly recommend it, it can prevent problems getting too big too fast. And a new teacher might be more willing to use it.

Wwe have worked with it, and we have worked with teachers who tried to phase it out as no longer necesssary. We then have worked when it got put back in when the problems grew really huge. I can assure you, even if things seem to be going smoothly and well, keep the book going.

Marg

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, yeah, Marg, we are using the communication book. They beat me to the punch on that one - THEY brought it up.

klmno

I'm really happy for you!! I hope things go as well as you foresee and that he has a very smooth transition and loves his new school!! Please keep us updated...

Fran

Former desparate mom
Excellent!
Glad it was a positive experience and they seem to be focused on how to help difficult child succeed.
You are a warrior mom!!!! Wear the armor proudly. : )