Input about Rock County area of Nebraska?

mom_in_training

My niece is looking to move to or near Rock County Nebraska in Oct 2007. Does anybody have any input on the living conditions there as far as weather ect....? I can look at web-sites all day long but its not the same as getting input from someone that actually lives there or has in the past having experienced the rural life or weather that we here in Ca have never had to endure.

wakeupcall

I lived in NE for four years. What city is she moving to? I loved it....but it WAS cold. It's all in your frame of mind!!

mom_in_training

Not sure, I'm waiting for a response from her via e-mail, So far she has only said Rock County. She and her boyfriend are there as I type this to check out things before they make their ultimate decision. So far though she claims that she like it allot but she has only been there for a visit since last Sunday.

wakeupcall

WOW, Mom in training.......did you look at a map??? It's really out there!! LOTS of Nebraska isn't very populated. We lived in Beatrice, which is south of Lincoln. Rock county will be even colder. When we were house hunting (December) the wind chill was 60 below zero!! They get lots of snow. One year the mayor called off Halloween because we had a blizzard and thirteen inches of snow. BUT we made life-long friends! The people were wonderful midwesterners! Good luck to them and their decision!

mom_in_training

Ha...... She just messeged me, She said that shes going to live in Newport. I have heard that it gets pretty cold there too. Lol!! Geeze with her being born and raised in Ca.... I just wonder how long she'll be able to tolorate the cold there. Yikes!!!!

muttmeister

Newport is a small town in north central NE with less than 200 people. I live in a small town in south central NE with less than 200 people so I have to assume a lot of the conditions will be similar.
Summers will be hot (above 100 yesterday). Winters will be cold (sometimes below 0). Housing costs should be very low. Employment opportunities will not be all that great but I am assuming somebody in the family has a job or they probably wouldn't be going there.
The good things about living in rural NE are low housing costs, friendly neighbors, good elementary and high schools, low crime rates, sense of community (neighbors look out for each other). The bad things are less than comfortable weather conditions, lack of cultural and shopping opportunities (I am 70 miles from the nearest place to shop for anything other than basics), lack of intellectually stimulating opportunities, lack of good jobs, need for a good car and the willingness to commute for work, shopping, movies, etc. Also a lot of rural NE has a high incidence of drug use but I can't speak for her area specifically.
Tell her I said "Welcome to Nebraska." I hope she likes football because that will be the main topic of conversation from now till at least November and till January if the Cornhuskers go to a bowl game.