Inquiring minds want to know.......

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I have an appointment at Mayo this coming Wednesday.....

I have no pride left of late; I cannot remember the last time I used makeup - I don't think I can remember how to put makeup on to be perfectly honest with you. Occupational Therapist (OT) was to help me with that - they haven't yet. (husband has been very patient - he likes the lipstick :lipstick:)

Whatever:stalker:

Be that as it may, I rarely if ever wear makeup when I go to the doctor's office. If I'm sick, I want to look sick - more importantly I think the doctor's should see how pale I am, not my blush.

I make sure I'm dressed in clean clothes, have showered & brushed my teeth, combed my hair & head out the door, if you're curious.):hairy:

SO.....how about you? Do you wear makeup when you are sick & go see the doctor? Do you take time before heading to urgent care & comb your hair? Before you get into the ambulance heading to the ER do you reapply your lipstick?:queen::bigsmile::lady::lipstick:

C'mon, you can tell me - I won't share it with anyone else. I promise. :nonono:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
If I'm going because I'm sick, I don't do anybody any favors!

If I'm going, and I'm well and feel well, I generally dress and look the part.

I don't wear makeup very often anymore. Perhaps for a night out with the gals or on that rare date night with husband. Or church (we haven't been for a while) .

If I'm showered and my teeth are brushed, I consider that a pretty decent effort at making myself presentable :D

Abbey

Spork Queen
Shoot. I don't even wear makeup during the regular day. I've never been good at it and when I try, I look like some nickel street lady. I wouldn't worry about it. You are who you are.

Abbey

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I used to do the make up thing daily, even before SO got out of bed - that was years ago. The only time I do it now is if I have a work function to attend, which is like every other year or so. I had to go to one two weeks ago. It had been so long since I put on eyemake up, the first go I looked like Amy Weinhouse before she went to rehab (minus the thinness of course)

To me, people who are ill look worse in full makeup. As long as I have combed my hair, showered, brushed my teeth I am good to go.

I can't recall EVER EVER seeing my mother without makeup - she is one of those women who get their hair done every week, then carefully wrap her head in toilet paper and clip it to stay before she goes to sleep.

Marcie

Andy

I have never been a much of a make up person - even as a teen I never wanted to wear it (one strange girl!). I don't think my mom wore make up. Probably why I didn't have interest?

Anyway, some co-workers got me into it in my early 20's. It was fun but after easy child was born, I pretty much stopped using it (probably because I stopped dressing up so much!)

One year, husband and I went out for our 15th anniversary. I was all dressed up with make up and everything and walking young difficult child over to a neighbor. difficult child says, "Mommy, why are you all dressed up? Nobody looks at you except Daddy." Later that night, I asked husband if he liked my haircut - he hadn't noticed. So, I guess he doesn't look at me either! :)

Now if I want to use make up, I either have to borrow easy child's or go buy new -mine would be too old - though I have probably thrown it all away.

I hate the feel of lipstick so will probably never be one of those ladies who are running every 5 minutes to reapply.

Marguerite

I try and make sure I'm clean before I go see the doctor, especially if they're likely to want to put their hands on me. For example, my neurologist tends to lie me down, turn me over, tip me to the left, then to the right, check my reflexes etc - so I need clean hair so it will fall back into place when I can finally sit up straight.

If I'm seeing the doctor because I'm really ill, feeling ghastly - I tend to do without makeup. Maybe clear lip gloss if my lips are feeling chapped. But no colour - WYSIWYG. As you said, it can be misleading. I've had doctors tell me how well I look and not take me seriously, because I was wearing makeup.

If it's a checkup and I'm feeling awful, I will wear bright colours, usually red. Bright colours cheer me up. My previous GP worked out the pattern and would generally check my lymph glands if he saw me wearing a lot of red.

Today I was seeing the GP but also meeting mother in law. She's been critical of my diet, has been stressing loudly about how pale I look. If we're out and about together and someone says, "Wow, you've lost so much weight, you look great!" she HAS to add, "I think she's looking dreadfully pale, I don't like her colour." I'm sure people agree just to be polite - she then grabs onto this triumphantly and keeps reminding me that so-and-so agreed with her that I look pale, then I get ANOTHER lecture about my diet being too drastic.
So going to the doctor when mother in law is with me - I wear makeup, especially blusher. I also wear makeup when shopping with her. I also choose my clothes carefully - some colours brighten my face, others make me look sick. My current GP is a woman, so I'm not too concerned about makeup - she won't be misled if I'm a painted lady, unlike her male colleagues.

Because mother in law has been fretting about my very drastic diet, I've been making a point of worrying about my appearance a lot more than I would have. I keep my roots touched up (I do my own hair at home). I try to keep my hair styled in a way that looks OK (my hairdresser is a bit pot luck though). I wear as little makeup as I can get away with, but to NOT look sick, I know what I need to wear - eyeshadow at least, in a neutral dark plum shade in the eyelid crease, because it balances the plum-coloured dark shadows under my eyes and makes them less obvious; kohl eyeliner just outside the lash line, smudged slightly (thicker if it's evening); a dark red-brown lipstick in as long-lasting as I can get, because that shade also lifts the rest of my face. I tend to cheat and use the same lipstick as a blusher. I rarely wear foundation, but if I do I mix a liquid foundation in the palm of my hand, with a few drops of moisturiser.

My last long stint in hospital was about ten years ago. I was there for three weeks, mostly for a rest and for tests. I made a point of getting dressed every morning, wearing tracksuits or similar. I tidied my hair, did my nails and wore make-up. I wanted to make the point that I did not want to be illness-focussed.

If I'm seeing my eye doctor, I go without eye makeup. I might still wear plum eyeshadow in the eyelid crease, but nothing else.

At home and just round the place, I don't wear makeup. I'll wear lip gloss mainly to prevent chapped lips. Same with moisturiser - I slather it on mostly because my skin feels better if I do. After a shower or a swim at the beach I tend to pile on more body moisturiser, but what I use is not expensive - I often make my own skin treatments from various vegetable oils. I'm known to raid the olive oil from the kitchen, to slather on my legs and arms in summer. If I spill a bit of olive oil when cooking, I wipe it off onto my skin.

If I'm really crook and have called the ambulance, they get what they get - and it's usually not pretty. But it doesn't matter, I usually don't have my glasses on anyway, so I can't see a thing. I HAVE changed into my pyjamas to wait for the ambos, but only if what I was wearing was totally unacceptable. Don't ask.

I do travel with the bare minimum of make-up kits though. I can do my make-up with a couple of tools, the whole lot small enough to hide in the palm of my hand - one kohl pencil (propelling pencil type), one small lipstick compact and one small eyeshadow compact, each with mirror. When we went to New Zealand on holiday for three weeks, that was all the makeup I took for the entire time. Oh, I did have a spare lipstick, I needed that because I used one up while we were away. If I've made the choice to wear makeup, and I've eaten off my lipstick, I usually discreetly replace it as soon as I can. I can do it by feel, even in the dark.

Where it's no longer going to confuse a doctor about how I really am, I do tend to fuss a little more about my makeup because it gives me something else to think about. It also sends a message that I'm not illness-focussed - I've had too much contact with doctors who treat patients who ARE, I want to make it clear I'm not playing for sympathy.

I know this sounds contradictory - I guess for me the answer is complex.

Marg

F

flutterbee

I pretty much quit wearing makeup several years ago simply because I never felt good and didn't have the energy to do it. In fact, that's how my bangs grew out, too. I never felt good and so didn't go get my hair colored or cut for much longer periods of time than ever before. Even now, I'm way past due on my color, but I'm just not up to having it done. In fact, I was going to go to my mom's today to have it done and I don't feel well. Ah, well. No one to impress anyway.

I can count on one hand and still have fingers left over the number of times I've worn makeup in the last year. 'Doing' my hair consists of washing it and combing it out. On a good day, I'll pull it back in barrettes or a headband after it's mostly dried - air dried of course. On an even better day, I might even use a little mousse. :rofl:

I do shower before going to the doctor, but I've gone in my jammies (clean) several times lately when just the thought of putting on clothes - and all the effort required...how sad is that - made me tired.

However, having had a couple of extended stays in the hospital - I will probably end up keeling over in the shower before making it to the ER because I will not go without a shower first. It might be the last one for a while. Sponge baths just aren't the same. I suppose if I had a severed limb and was spewing blood I might skip it - I mean, what's the point then you're just going to get all messy again :tongue: - but that's about the only situation I would.

house of cards

I'm not a make up person either and don't dress for doctors. As far as doctors, I rarely go because I am so weird, I don't want to go if I'm not "sick" enough then I don't want to go when I am "too sick", cause I'm afraid they will think I'm an idiot for not going earlier. Ya think I worry about what others thing tooo much?LOL. Now I'm not talking about major health concerns, just sinus and tonsil problems mostly.

N

Nomad

Whether you want to believe it or not, doctors have their personal biases. Some are better than others. I suspect (but this is probably MY bias) that women might be better with this than men. My general thought, is that SOME doctors find it flattering and/or respectful if a woman shoes up at least a little dressed up. You do NOT have to OVERDO this and if fact if you OVERDO it, it can BACKFIRE. So, my thought is based on reading and experience...it is best to dress in good, clean, appropriate clothing. Nothing wrinkled, etc. Nothing too fancy, but nothing shabby. I would put on a little makeup. Some light lipstick and maybe a little blush. I would do my hair...make sure it is cleaned and styled. If you are too sick to do your hair, just comb it as best as you are able.

TerryJ2

Linda and Nomad,
you're on the right track.
My husband loves it when people are neat and clean when they come in.
If you overdo it (low cleavage, g-strings, vampire eyeliner) they will notice, but it won't help your case.
Clean and neat is more important than makeup.
My husband has only sent home a few people for their lack of hygiene, but that was mainly because they were drunk.
He has told his sober pts that they need to bathe, and he has certain products he recommends. It's not a fun job ...

As an aside, I had my first migraine in MN when I was 24. I somehow managed to drive to a late-night dr and dragged myself to the front desk. I told the dr, "I haven't slept in 3 days."
He replied, "You look like it."
Uhhh ....

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If I'm sick/in pain I never wear makeup to see a doctor. They're looking for symptoms and if you're really good at makeup it can become a mask to conceal symptoms he may find important.

And to be honest......most of them think, "Well, if she felt good enough to spend time putting on makeup, she probably isn't that sick."

I do try to shower and wear clean clothing.

If the pain is severe........They have to deal with what they get. I don't give a darn what I look like. They're lucky I don't rip they're heads off and stuff it down their throats. I'm not very pleasant when in severe pain.

Linda, since you're going to Mayo, I'd remove the lipstick too. Make sure no nail polish except clear. doctor will probably be watching for a blueish tinge around your lips and nail beds and won't be able to see it with lipstick and colored nail polish.

Hugs

meowbunny

If I have an appointment, I'm clean, my clothes are clean and, if I'm in the right mood, a touch (masara, blush) of makeup. It I'm ill, then I try to at least be clean. However, if I'm seriously sick, what you see is what you get.

When I had the gall bladder attack, I felt bad for the nurses -- there was nothing clean about me. I'd been sick for 3 days and couldn't even brush my teeth without throwing up. If the ER has a problem with me being grubby, smelly or whatever, I'm sorry -- I certainly don't enjoy being that way. Sick is sick. I did bake them some cookies to thank them when I was up to it.

DammitJanet

I dont wear make up so that is not even something to think about.

I may be really bad but it all depends on my pain levels, my mood and most often my ability to function. I have weekly therapy appts and there are many times that I simply cannot get any help with washing my hair during the week and standing in the shower is out for me. I find it extremely hard to wash it by myself in the tub because of the arm strength issue so I need help. I try to bathe at least 3 times a week (yes I know) and I will put on clean clothes to go to a doctor but they get me looking how I look. My clothes are all old. Most are old and faded and some have small stains. Im sorry but they have to deal with this. I am going to the doctor not the opera.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I prefer a natural look - even if a woman is wearing makeup, the woman that doesn't look like she is wearing makeup is the one that will catch my eye.

With enough goo and the right artist, we can all look like Jennifer Anniston. I guess that realization changed my perspective a little, because now I find myself looking at the tabloid photos, and the superstars who look good without their makeup are the ones that I admire - if you can project a beautiful image without the paint, that's the secret I want to know - that's the kind of person I want to be - that's the person who catches my attention.

So that said, its a rare occassion that I wear makeup. I don't feel a need to be someone I'm not or project an image that I am not. One friend joked at my wedding that I wore less makeup to my wedding than she did to work every day. But that's me. My outward appearance is not my priority. I'm clean, my clothes are clean and not wrinkled, they are not the latest fashions, and I wear most everything til it is truly worn out (for outside chore clothes, not necessarily to work). My fingernails are clean, but short - long nails for the things I do just don't work. But that is who I am. I am natural, I am frugal, I work hard at my tasks, not at my looks. And if someone doesn't like me because I don't "look" right, then I figure I've not lost much - I probably didn't have a lot in common with that person, anyway.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I used to be a makeup kinda gal - And what little I use now on occasions is Bare Minerals (love it) 'cause it's quick.

Was just thinking about this and no, going to the doctors I do NOT do makeup, hair spray, nail polish or even shave. And when YOU say you have no humility left - at the LAST minute with the OBGYN I remembered I forgot to um.....well.......wax I guess...(thinking of Meow Bunnies waxing post)

Sorry -too much information - but if I'm sick - I don't care.

DammitJanet

Star...speaking of that. Have you ever seen the email or whatever about the woman who grabs her six year olds washcloth with glitter in it and does a quick freshen up before going to the GYN? OMG...hysterical. Talk about a sparkling clean hooha...lmao.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Janet -

THAT one nearly put me on the floor - yes....I remember it. the obgyn wanted to know what the special occasion was. Or something like that.

:tongue:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Make-up? What's make-up? I haven't worn make-up regularly in years. I just don't have the time and husband doesn't like it anyways. Sometime I will do lip gloss or blush but by that I mean only a couple of times a year if that.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Normally, if I wear make-up at all, it's a little eye shadow. If I'm going all out, it's eye liner and eye shadow and maybe a bit of blush.

But if I'm sick? Pfft. I make sure I don't stink and that's about it.