Inquiring minds want to know.......

Lothlorien

I don't wear that much makeup when I wear it, but I don't wear it when I go to the doctor's office.

About an hour after giving birth to Mighty Mouse, I had the makeup on, though, because I knew the camera was out and I didn't want to have pics of me looking all haggard, ya know?

witzend

Mascara, and that is it. Otherwise I look too boyish. But I don't wear makeup in any case, because my skin is so oily it just never works.

trinityroyal

I don't own any makeup, unless you count lip balm that I use to keep my lips from chapping. I have such difficult skin that most things make me break out, and I would also rather spend the time doing something else than messing with my face.

As for the hair, wash, towel dry and put in a pony tail is about all I bother with most days.

I do agree that putting on makeup for the doctor might mask some signs that they might need to see. Clean, pressed and well groomed, but no makeup or nail polish seems to make the most sense.

OpenWindow

I don't wear makeup either. Never have except a few special occasions. It messes with my skin and gives me a headache, so does most perfume. I do shower and shave my legs before going to the doctor, and put on a little body spray.

I've never been to the ER for myself but with the kids or husband I just went with what I had on, unless I'm without a bra and then I definitely put one on.

DammitJanet

You know...we learn the most interesting things about each other on here!

Most of us are non-make up folks. Some are bra-less folks. Some live in PJ's.

I can tell you one thing...I bet you wouldnt find us all in the make up isle at Walmart...lmao.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well..........I'm a rare make up person too. I'm first to admit I look alot better with it on......but usually I'm just too lazy and I don't like the way it feels on my skin. So I might use it for special occasions when I'm really getting gussied up. Or for pictures.

Bras I only wear when I have to. I've hated them since the first moment my mother demanded I wear one. At home I never wear it. Someone has an issue with it....look the other way or leave. My house. lol

Some days I never bother changing out of my pjs. :rofl:

muttmeister

I guess I'm the weirdo here - I even put on some makeup to walk the dogs in the morning. And, yes, I definitely wear makeup to go to the doctor. Hopefully I don't do the kind of makeup job that makes me look like a Las Vegas showgirl. I try to keep it relatively natural (a little foundation, a little blusher, definitely eyebrows because as you get older they tend to disappear, a little neutral eyeshadow, some mascara, and some natural lipstick) but if I think I'm dying, I will get up and put on some makeup first so I don't scare the EMTs.
The washcloth thing was funny. I have a friend who works at the doctor's office and she was scheduled for her yearly pap test on St. Patrick's Day so she dyed all of her hair "down there" green. The doctor did laugh but she's definitely got more intestinal fortitude than I have.

judi

I wanted to address the bias of healthcare providers. I'm an advanced practice nurse - when I see my chronically ill patients few wear make-up - many are older, too sick, too poor, etc. and I personally don't care. I also work in an ER and again, I take care of patients who are drunk, high, combative, beligerent, very nice, polite, etc.. really runs the gamut. I really don't even consider if someone has makeup on or not. I do notice clean though - lol (and please don't spit on me!)

Personally, I do wear foundation, lipstick and mascara...that's everyday. However, if I'm on call overnight, nope, they get me rumpled and sans make-up.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
nope no make up for the Dr.'s, but I shave (and wash) my legs and underarms for the OB/GYN and brush and floss for the dentist!:bigsmile:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I feel like the odd (wo)man out here. I wear makeup everyday - don't leave my house without it...not even hardly on the weekends. I have some pigmentation on my cheekbones that I am very self concious of so if nothing else, I at least dust on some bare minerals to cover those splotchy areas and some clear lip balm.

For a routine visit, yes, makeup. And ER visit - you get me as I am. Haha. Otherwise, I wear bare minerals - no eye shadow or other extras. Being showered, clean and dressed decently goes without saying.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wee difficult child was run over when he was much smaller.
It was a Sunday, early afternoon, and we had just come back from a camping trip in late fall. It was a cold year, and the campground had closed the shower houses down early, so I had spent all day Saturday standing around a blazing fire, and with no shower house available, needless to say I smelled a bit - um - smoky. My hair was in a pony tai, I was wearing faded blue jeans, a tshirt, and an old sweat shirt. While technically "clean", I reeked of smoke.
And wee difficult child got run over, and that's how I looked when I walked in to the ER with him.
The hustle and bustle of that whole process happened, he was transferred to another hospital, and all while I was in my "reeking" clothes. They admitted him to the ICU and he settled in to sleep, but there was no place for me to shower, and no clothes to change into even if I could. So I slept on the cozy little chair and reeked. I bothered myself.
30 hours after admit (and about a bazillion prayers and, I'm sure, a miracle, but I digress) he was released and we went home. The first thing I did was flop down in my chair and breathe. And 15 minutes after that, my oldest came flying thru the door with blood gushing from a huge wound above his eye - so for the second time in 31 hours, on a Monday evening, I was zooming to the same ER, having not showered since Friday night, reeking of campfire smoke, wearing the same clothes I had worn on the first trip in.
They asked me how difficult child was doing (they remembered me - the campfire smoke gave me away...)

KTMom91

The last time I put makeup on was September 12. I know this because it was the last day I worked before my knee surgery. I don't wear base makeup, I do my eyes and eyebrows because they tend to get lost behind my glasses, maybe some lip color, but not heavy lipstick.

I'll take a shower and wash my hair, shave my legs, and brush and floss for a scheduled doctor appointment. For the ER...tough tofu, you get what you get.

DammitJanet

Ya know...this reminds me of that old thing of never leaving the house without clean undies because god forbid you get into an accident you wouldnt want the ambulance folks to see you with dirty drawers on.

Ok...now lets dissect that statement a bit. If I get into a really bad accident where the paramedics are going to actually be seeing my undies...then I will have probably "dirtied" them in the accident! There will be blood, lots of cutting going on...and no one will be checking the undies to see if they were new that day! LMAO.

Ever watched Trauma in the ER? They slice and dice those clothes off so fast you wouldnt even know if undies were involved.

dreamer

Im like some of the others here, many days I stay in PJs. When I was still very ill, I lived in niteys and little else, and if I had to go to doctor, I went in a "housedress" and sandals.
I bathe sometimes twice a day, shave daily, and wash my hair daily, if I don't I feel yukkier. BUT there was a long time when bathing was dangerous, nd sometimes impossible for me.....as was combing my hair, brushing my teeth or dressing myself at all.
I never wear makeup, makes me itchy and yukky. No perfume, either, same reasons, plus makes me nauseaus. I have done my own haircuts since I was 10 yrs old.....my hair is quite long, often braided or baretted etc, never blow dried, never curl ironed, it is naturally wavy.
When my son had his first emergency eye surgery, I had come straight from round he clock deathbed care of my mom, and had just rushed husband to VA ICU....got home to race my son to see followup for his eye injury, and that doctor sent us from there to univ hospital 5 hours from home, do not stop at home. I did not understand surgery was in the works....we took nothing with us, and I had been running in circles already leading up to this appointment. Got to the univ and they took son immed into surgery prep and we were in holding pattern awaiting a room for ..UG....I think 2 days? Dureing which time I dared not leave his side at all. Bummer is we went to the eye doctor appointment here while dinner was cooking at home, and we were hungry, and were going to eat as soon as the appointment here was done.
Then post surgery, there was a mix up at hospital, and I wound up sleeping leaning on his bed, no cot came, no meals came, and he was in a room with no bathroom......so I went 3 days with same clothes, etc etc etc. I now KEEP an emergency change of clothes and toiletries in my car at all times and no longer go to any appts ithout certain necessities.

WHen I was in nurseing school, and I am NOT an advanced practice nurse- we were taught that taking in and charting a patients personal grooming and such was part of the initial assessment, just as is a persons behavoir and demeanor etc when we first enter the room to meet the patient. CPS here has also told us that if our children lack in grooming, hygeine or cleanliness, it is a red flag for neglect. Including if fingernails need trimming.
If a patient comes in for whom mobility is a problem, it can be a signal to be aware a person who is not groomed well etc might need help at home for such things. For a patient who is normally well groomed - to show up ungroomed, it can be an indicator of how they are feeling/functioning. If yo are trying to tell a doctor you have been feeling very poorly for say a week, yet you are perfectly groomed etc, the doctor may not believe your words. A psychiatrist also may jump to a conclusion if you come in appearing disheveled etc. If I showed up at my rheumy and tried to complain my fingers and hands were causeing me pain, but I wore my hair all styled so carefully, and shoes with lots of laces, and clothes with lots of zippers, ties, buttons etc......he surely is going to wonder what in the world I am talking about, he will wonder how I did manage to dink around with all those things if my fingers or hands are painful.
Depending on the type of doctor, sometimes it is best to go without nail polish or makeup etc, becuz your fingernail beds and skin color can tell a lot about your state of health. ANd depending on what type of doctor, for example if you are going to someplace that may have other patients in waiting room who might be sensitive to smells....you might want to be more aware of any perfume, say for example an allergist, an asthma doctor, an oncologist....r ob gyne. Those patients in those waiting rooms might have some difficulty with fragrances.

Yup, if I call an ambulance? they get what they get. our ambulance response time is generally less than 2 minutes. Driving ourself to ER is 10 mins average. It depends on the type of emergency, yes, I HAVE showered before going to ER, LOL. Yes, I have thrown kids into a fast shower before ER.....depending on the emergency. Me? going to scheduled doctor appointment? Usualy a very easy to manipulate dress or skirt and top, freshly bathed, hair washed and combed simply, slip on shoes and no makeup or nail polish or perfume. Freshly shaved (if I can do so) Oh and again, depending on reason for appointment..sometimes smell can point a doctor in a diagnosis direction, too.......so fragrance once again might interfere.

dreamer

THis thread brought to mind a couple pet peeves of mine re docs.
Grrr, I would go to see my rheumy, especially when I was at my most ill.....usually in my mobility scooter, but sometimes not.. sometimes with my walker, but sometimes not.and grrr, the nurse would come call my name to go to exam room, and we would leave waiting area and the nurse would take off walking so fast down the winding twisting long halls......so fast, I would lose sight of her. Now come on, I am there becuz I have mobility issues, and she is gonna take off like she is running a marathn and leave me in the dust? And she would go so fast, I would have no idea where she went at all. No idea which exam room to be in. GRRR. Then toss a paper gown my way and she would say, put this on.um, Hmm...I dont think I can myself. Hop up onto exam table. Um scuse me, I doubt I am hopping much, thus the scooter.
Same with easy child at her ob gyne appts, here she has this diagnosis of hyperemesis.....and they are jostling her, running her up and down halls, up and down elevators, and makeing her more nauseaus just getting her to room to see doctor? She is dizzy and has been fainting and they are bounceing her up and down up on scaled, off, jump hop up on table, but they are not ensureing her safety in case she falls, makeing me move away, and then leaveing her unsteady and such with no support.
Grr, same thing with my son post surgery. ANd LOL- after he was documented to have lost ALL vision, does not even have light awareness, how many times they tell him cover your bad eye and read the chart.or funnier still, cover you good eye and read bottom (smallest) line on chart.Um scuse me, YOU did the surgeries, YOU have it well documented..that eye is useless. Then they ordered eyeglasses for protection, clear polycarbonate, no RX for seeing.......and they pop them on his face and ask now does everything look better? Hmm, well, my son, in order to see what they would say? He said OMG! I can SEE! and then he burst out LOL.
We do have one clinic here, and it is entirely non handicapped accesible. and it is also where the outpatient bloodwork lab is and the ultrasound machines are at and mammo machines. steps from parking lot into bldg and then inside the door, stairs going up ---nothing for patients on ground floor and no elevator.
The other thing is DOORS. Ug, my hands get really bad sometimes, as do my shoulders and sometimes wrists or elbows. But some of the doors on some of the medical facilities are SO insanely heavy or cumbersome......and noone from the docs offices inside can see the entry doors from reception......and yup, there were times I would be standing out there waiting for someone to be leaving so I could get in. Grrr.