Insanely Angry

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Not sure if I should post this here, or over in Watercooler. Apologies in advance if I'm causing extra work for our mods.

I just really need to vent. I received a bill in the mail today.

From our local county Sheriff.

$502.71

For locking difficult child up in Secure Detention for 3 days
FIVE YEARS AGO!!! :grrr: I can barely breathe, I am so upset.

First thing I did, typed up a really nasty letter. Printed it. probably won't send it. :devil:

Seriously folks, the dates on this thing are 4/25/2002 to 4/28/2002. Can you freaking believe it?!! :nonono:

So......who has any advise on how I should truly handle this? Do you suppose I have any leg to stand on at all by refusing to pay it??

DANG!!! I'm so mad!!! :hypnosis:

Peace

Josie

When I used to have to collect student loans, we were told we couldn't collect anything over 4 years old unless they had made a payment on it. The 4 years started at the last payment. I am not sure if this would work with the Sheriff's office, though.

The phone company put something on my credit report that was from a house 10 years ago. I fought it with my position being it was too old and I didn't have any records to know if it was correct. It got taken off my report.

DammitJanet

I was told the same thing about length of time for someone to bill you. Only here I think it is 2 years.

I have some idiot collection agency trying to harass me over a 65 dollar doctor bill from 1989. I dont even know if I went to that doctor, if I ever paid that doctor, or anything else. I doubt they can prove any of it this long ago and I know they have no leg to stand on so I have told them where to stick it.

rejectedmom

Was he underage at the time? If not he is responsible not you. As far as the statue of limitations on an outstanding bill I think you will have to do some research my gut tells me that judicial fees are probably exempt. But that is not based on any facts that I know for sure so check it out. -RM

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
No reason why you can't post here, Pony Girl. It's always good to see you :flower: .

I have no idea if there is a statute of limitations on something like this. I suspect it complicates matters since it's the county sheriff :surprise: . Why don't you try calling the courthouse tomorrow anonymously (use someone else's phone in case they have caller id- lol) and see if you can find out.

Unbelievable! :nonono:

Suz

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Thank you all for your input. My nephew used to work for a collection agency, so I will ask if he knows any details.

difficult child was underage at the time. BUT I wouldn't sic the Sheriff on him if he had been of age anyway. Been there, done that! :surprise: Never doing that again!

It's just the whole ARE YOU KIDDING ME point that's driving me crazy. hello? Paperwork?? How do you NOT bill somebody for five years!!?? And we're talking a good chunk of change, too!

In case you're wondering, I don't happen to have five hundred bucks laying around.

Sheesh. Merry Christmas, too. Could they have PICKED a worse time???!!!

Ooooooooooooooh. I'm getting mad all over again. Sorry about that!

Peace

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ya know, if they could wait so many years to BILL you, I don't know why they can't wait til after xmas to have you start paying on it..... If indeed you need to.

I didn't know anything about these laws. I swear I learn new stuff here all the time. :smile:

Wow. Unbelievable.

I'd be tempted to write back and promise to pay $7.50/month for the next 67 months.

I wonder what kind of success rate they expect in collecting from county detainees from five years ago.

F

flutterbee

Ohio is 15 years (I think) for collecting on bills, but I don't know if that pertains to these kind of fees.

I got a letter from a collection agency last year for filing fees from the court for my divorce in 1997. I thought the attorney had paid them. So, not only did I not know about it (they never contacted me directly), it went on my credit report as delinquent.

DDD

The older I get the less I understand :thumbsdown:..especially about the system. Sorry, Pony. DDD

Abbey

Spork Queen
J had 8000$ of legal bills. We paid for about a year, then just stopped. No one came after us. Not sure why. I think they are just so overworked.

Abbey

witzend

I wouldn't send them a cent until it is straightened out. Even pennies is tantamount to an agreement to pay.

Kathy813

Staff member
Pony,

I don't know anything about this but just wanted to say hello. It's good to see you on the PE forum. I don't get over to T & SA much anymore.

Remember all those nights of rowing the boat?

~Kathy

ScentofCedar

Hi, Pony :smile:

I don't know how you should handle this either, but you could call information and referral and they could put you in touch with someone who may be able to tell you what the statute of limitations is for your state.

Or, try the 211 number ~ they were such a big help to us when we had questions.

Just seeing the return address on the envelope must have been an awful experience.

Do you think some of the emotional overload you are experiencing is related to a post-traumatic stress reaction?

Your son is doing well now. You will learn the answers to whether you need to pay, and how much and how soon, within a few days.

Deep breath.

You have been through way worse than this.

You were absolutely right about them not having been able to pick a better time. Even if money were no object, just having everything brought up again ~ especially now, less than a week before Thanksgiving ~ must be horrific.

Pony?

Like Kathy 813 said?

It's nice to see you again.

Barbara

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Hi Kathy! Hi Barb! Nice to see you, too! :laugh:

Just seeing the return address on the envelope must have been an awful experience

So true. Actually I almost threw it out without opening it, had all the appearance of a fund-raiser letter.

Man, I couldn't have been more wrong!!

oh, and Barb?

just having everything brought up again ~ especially now, less than a week before Thanksgiving ~ must be horrific.

You hit it right on the head.

The good news? DEX got the same bill, and called me today, and this is one thing we actually agree on!!! :nonono:

We are each going to throw this bill away, and see what happens from there.

Thanks everyone for being here! Sorry I blew up!! :flower:

Peace

meowbunny

I did some research and it looks like the statute of limitations is 10 years:

893.87 General limitation of action in favor of the state. Any action in favor of the state, if no other limitation is prescribed in this chapter, shall be commenced within 10 years after the cause of action accrues or be barred. No cause of action in favor of the state for relief on the ground of fraud shall be deemed to have accrued until discovery on the part of the state of the facts constituting the fraud.

From what I could find, you have 30 days to appeal the claim, so I wouldn't wait for another bill. If not appealed, the circuit court would consider that you have agreed to pay it and then interest starts accruing. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I'm not an attorney, so please don't take my word as gospel. I just did some looking and reading and found the above but I didn't want you to accidently accrue more charges and money.