Insomnia

Freedom08

Do any of you suffer from insomnia and if so what helps you sleep? I will get 2 hours then lie awake thinking. I can't seem to relax enough to sleep. I took 1/2 of an over the counter sleeping pill and all that did was make me feel like crap when I woke up.

allusedup

Welcome Lila!
Insomnia should be my first, middle and last name. I have lived with it for many years. I have tried everything . Even prescription Ambien does not work. I am currently trying prescription Trazodone, an old trycyclic antidepressant. It is pretty harmless compared to the other prescription medications. The

best over the counter is a combination of melatonin, L-triptophan and valerian root capsules. They are cheap and all but the valerian occur naturally in the body. Get them at a health food store or herbal shop for better quality than Wal-Mart or even the drug store. Stop TV time or computer time at least an hour before bed, body temp has to drop slightly before successful sleep can occur so get the house cool. You could try reading something calming and listening to something like soft music that last hour before you try to sleep. Try camomile tea right before bed too. White noise like a tape with the sound of the ocean or rain fall works too sometimes. Also, if you smoke, if you wake up during the night, don't smoke as nicotine is a stimulant. Also, cut off the caffeine no later than 4pm. Hope some of this helps! Good luck!

Nomad

Staff member
I have had insomnia due to Difficult Child issues as well.
Right now I'm having terrible insomnia due to Difficult Child issues, but more from pain from health problems.

I'm finding taking my muscle relaxer at night and avoiding all electronic devices at night ... two helpful things. A warm bath with Epsom salts helps a little.

But, I too am looking for some advice!

JKF

Ambien works wonders for me but you have to take it on an empty stomach an hour before you want to be asleep. I sleep soundly through the night but am still lucid enough to hear my alarm go off in the morning.

InsaneCdn

Find an activity that is an outlet for worry. Gardening, knitting and related skills, training animals (not just spending time with them)... there's probably more to the list, but I don't usually get past these.

I like all three. The advantage of needlework projects is that they are quiet. If I can't sleep at 1 a.m., I can go work on a project for an hour - IF I can stay awake that long.

SeekingStrength

I have been tempted to get Ambien for a couple years. So many friends swear by it. I fall asleep quickly, but often wake up way too early. Trying all the tips I have Googled do not work.

Being sleep-deprived stinks so much because it makes the next day so much more difficult to navigate.

Glad you asked this, Lila.

KTMom91

I was a life-long insomniac until I discovered Ambien. It helps me get to sleep and I stay asleep all night. I found that I do need to get a full eight hours sleep or I'm exhausted the next day.

pasajes4

My mother took lunesta, but had to stop because she was sleep eating. She swore that someone was breaking into her house at night. The kitchen looked like someone ransacked the place. My mother has an actual aversion to eating or seeing anyone eat, so this was quite funny to the family.

Natsom

Benedryl helps me too. Discovered it while my daughter was in rehab. Been using it for 3 years now. Even though it doesn't knock you out, I seem to sleep through the night when I take one. Helps me get back to a normal sleep cycle after days of what seems like cat napping.

Ambien scared the heck out of me because I started sleep walking. Would do all kinds of things in my sleep. One time I woke up on the couch after falling asleep in my bed. Another time it looked like I tried to clean the bathroom! I live alone, and I never knew what I would find moved around the house in the morning. Creeped me out!!

What I'm trying to do now is follow a regular schedule. You know the drill. I'm trying to re-train myself to eat well, exercise every day, go to bed by 10 and try to get 7-8 hours sleep each day. Throw in some of the other ideas related to relaxation before sleep. The toughest thing for me to do is turn off the darned tv:)

DammitJanet

Long time insomniac here. I have been on ambien so long it barely works anymore but I don't like lunesta and refuse the atypical aps. I did find a natural drink with the melatonin, valerian and l tryptophan. It worked well but Walmart stopped carrying it. I read online about using magnesium oil on your feet for sleep. Gonna try that.