Interesting article that was emailed to me....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Mental health case manager emailed this article to me today. Thought I'd share it with you all. Take it for what it is.

I think it could apply to parents of children who haven't be diagnosis'd as attachment disordered.

slsh

member since 1999
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gee, ya' think??? Forgive my hysterical (possibly fitting DSM criteria for true hysterics) laughter... after fun convo with- therapist last week about why thank you cannot possibly come home to live without a stepdown placement and with impending visit to TLP tomorrow... well, my friend, this is quite timely. I must print copies, many many copies.

And absolutely, this applies to any parent who has dealt with over the top gfgness.

pepperidge

I could certainly indentify with the article, especially the battleground aspects.

But I would like to have seen a much more complete discussion of the end of the article--get therapy for yourself. What kind of therapy? How does therapy actually help the stress? Maybe I am looking for a magic bullet to fix us beleaguered parents, particularly those of us that lack a nearby social support network or supportive extended family. And while we have parenting counseling, somehow I don't feel like it ever acknowledges the stress we are under or how to deal with out--other than of course the important aspect of being a better parent. My children's docs have never exhibited very much interest in how I am holding up under all this.

I just wonder sometimes what permanent damage this whole experience has done to me. Sorry for the whining--must be a symptom of PTSD :mad:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
pepperidge, leave it to a SW to give you ideas with no solutions. Sorry.

I'm dealing with some of my own PTSD things in therapy; along with the attachment tdocs who spend a half hour of every session making sure husband & I are doing well. If the parents aren't in a good place - our children certainly won't be. That's tdocs take on the situation.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Great Article-I definitely see how it applies to anyone living with a difficult child-thanks-I even bookmarked it so I can refer to it again later.

dreamer

here are a couplevery interesting things
having to do with caregiver stress.
This was a topic I wrote extensively on in school and also spoke about in many public forums.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Rob hasn't lived at home for many years now and I still struggle with sleeping issues and all of the secondary symptoms. Thanks for the article, Linda.

Suz

rejectedmom

Yep, PTSD in parents of difficult child's is very common you can count me among the statistics too. I'm just glad the rest of the world is beginning to realize the effects these kids have on the parents. But we still have a long long way to go. -RM