Interesting discussion about your adult kid and a firearm

Star*

call 911........call 911
Janet and I recently had an interesting conversation about - firearms, Walmart and difficult child kids who have or should NOT (rather) have firearms. It occurs to me that some of our kids may hunt. Some may own long guns. So I'm just curious. Of those that DO hunt, and receive SSI - (possibly a few) here's a REALLY interesting read on the definition state by state that depicts what each state says they do NOT allow each person to even possess at any time.

So my question is - IF you worked tirelessly to get SSI for your 'disturbed' child, then take them hunting? Is that breaking the law in some states? Because the laws clearly state (some places) that people that are mentally disturbed are not ever to be in possession of firearms.

Here's what each state says about their laws.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/gov_gun_law_pro_per-government-gun-laws-prohibited-persons

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ours evidently won't let a person possess a gun who has been declared mentally incompetent. I guess that could be subject to interpretation?

But I guess, yes, it would be breaking the law in some states, including ohio evidently. I can see their point, as much as I hate to say that. I mean by that I can see why it was put there. If the state has declared someone mentally incompetent to make decisions ect for themselves for various reasons, or are not stable enough to be employed it would also be reasonable to assume they would not use a firearm with good judgement.

Ours says "mentally incompetent" not "mentally disturbed" so I'm not sure if they'd use the two terms interchangeably or not.

DammitJanet

See..the wording in NC says if you are adjudicated mentally incompetent or have been civilly committed. That means you have to have been found to be mentally incompetent by a court of law or have been involuntarily committed to a mental institution.

Cory has been neither. He has always signed himself in voluntarily.

Now of course with the felonies he isnt supposed to possess any guns but (shhh) he does go hunting with his dad on private land. They just sneak him in and out. Tony just carries the guns. Cory's guns stay at my house. Yeah yeah I know. And yes, I know, says kids arent supposed to possess a gun before 12 except under certain circumstances but we had those circumstances. Our kids hunted since they were 6 years old. Well...not alone of course. At 6 they were doing turkey shoots and just starting dove hunts by mostly been the bird dogs. But they slowly got going into doves, squirrels, rabbits and then by 12 they took the NRA hunting course and passed it.

DammitJanet

Also...one of the questions is...do you use or are you a drug abuser either illegal drugs or prescription drugs?

Now I want to meet the idiot who answers yes to that question!!!!!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wee hunts. With close supervision, of course. He does not get SSI.

Guns have been in Wee's environment since he was born. difficult child 1's, also. Now, I don't mean we sit around at night and talk about them and play with them and clean them and live by them...but they are here, and hunting season comes, and its a big deal. And now, of course, I participate in mounted shooting. So does cgfg and Wee. Involves revolvers.

Interesting note...neither Wee nor difficult child 1 EVER have handled or even joked about handling a weapon in anything but a responsible manner.

Not saying nothing bad will ever happen, but I don't think you can predict who will and who won't. Mental issues or not.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Now I want to meet the idiot who answers yes to that question!!!!!

:rofl:

Too true Janet.

I grew up around guns, sort of. My mom hated, no make that loathed the things, but my biodad's family lived by them. You'd have to know the family background to understand why this is so. But all family reunions on biodad's side consisted of extensive target practice, grandchildren included. Everyone shot except my Mom. I shot my first pistol with my biodad's help when I was 5 yrs old. He was pretty impressed as I managed to hit the target, repeatedly. He told me to point and shoot, which is what I did. lol But we all had a healthy respect for what they were capable of doing. You watch bullets shred a target or kill an animal and you're less prone to want to point it at another person without good reason. Of course there are always exceptions. But that side of my family is also full of difficult children.....and not one of them ever got into trouble with a gun, except one nephew who happens to be one of those exceptions.

We've never kept guns in the house because Travis I knew wouldn't be able to keep his hands off of them as a child. sister in law and easy child have always had guns in the house locked in the gun safe. sister in law likes to target practice, he's trying to find someone to learn to hunt with this season. He grew up with guns. It's just something you have to him. Darrin has a healthy respect for guns and would never dream of touching one without his dad around to supervise. Brandon and Conner don't as yet even know they exist.

Andy

There was a very difficult child kid in my difficult child's gun safety class. I am very upset that the kid received 100% on the test. Why? Because it was an oral test for him given in a separate room. This was a kid that was lucky if he knew his own name on any given moment. I really doubt that he could even answer questions on an oral test without the questions being altered to lead him to the answers. His reaction time in shooting would be slower than slow - there is no way that on his own he would be aware enough of his surroundings to safely make the decision to shoot or not. There is no way this kid understands or remembers the points of safety taught in that class. I really got the feeling that he was being pampered and steps made to make him feel good about it. Grrrrrrrr

The ONLY reason the kid down the road (3 months younger than difficult child) has been given permission to handle a BB gun is because HE went snooping through his grandfather's closet and stumbled across a bb gun AND since difficult child is allowed to shoot a gun, HE has to be given permission or give his mom misery until she grants it. She has got to stop allowing him to do things just because difficult child is allowed to! She hates/loathes guns but is allowing her son to handle one because difficult child has been allowed to and because she is a widow, believes that her kids have to have and do EVERYTHING all other kids do. She would rather complain about me allowing it than stand up for her own wishes in her own family. She doesn't like that difficult child is allowed to hunt but refuses to say no to her child who does not have the supervision that difficult child has in handling guns. Her son and a gun do not mix. He does not have a respect for anything.

There is a kid that difficult child bowls with that I asked his dad about possibly letting him join the Jr Rifle club. I would trust this kid. The dad said no because he has an older brother who would not be a good canidate to shoot a gun and the parents knew that whatever they let their easy child do, they would have a hard time with their difficult child who would not be able to. Even though you do not use your own guns at the club, the parents did not want to introduce their difficult child to that activity if even through his brother since he would then feel like he could handle a gun and maybe help himself to one at a friend's or relative's home. Good parents - looking at the whole picture!

I did not grow up in a hunting family but husband did. He hunts and fishes so of course his son will also. It really does make a difference if the person grows up with responsible gun owners. My dad did own a gun but I don't know that I really knew where he kept it. It was brought out only once that I remember. However, even though he did not hunt, he taught us girls to respect a gun and to stay safe during hunting season. Even though no one was suppose to be on our property to hunt, we were to beware of the possibility of a hunter during November and were not allowed in the woods. We also wore orange at the edge of the woods during hunting season. Better to introduce a child to the responsibility of a gun at a young age when he or she is more apt to respect the rules of gun safety than to wait until they are appeared to be old enough to hunt on their own and handed a gun without previous experience.

DammitJanet

Amen Andy. I think that is why we never had once ounce of trouble with our boys with the guns. I know having difficult child's and loaded guns in a home seems like a completely foreign concept but with mine, they were in less trouble if they were out hunting and fishing than home bored. I would much rather that they come home from school and grab the shotgun and head out into our woods to hunt squirrels or rabbits together than to hang out on some street corner or watch MTV or play video games all day.