Interesting dr appointment

TerryJ2

We had difficult child's camp/school physcal yesterday. He was pretty anxious about the finger prick, and getting the chicken pox and hep vaccines. (He has two more shots for 6th gr but I decided to split them because so many of the vaccines are already bundled and I think it's too much of an assault on the immune system.)
Then he surprised both the dr and me by refusing to let the dr examine his genitals. The dr has to check for any hernia to okay the sports exam form, and also wanted to see any sexual devpt for puberty (a big yes on that one--he's practically got a mustache!). We both tried to talk difficult child into it but he wouldn't budge.
On top of it, he was so stressed out and got me so anxious that he cajoled me into taking him to Toys R Us for an action figure. Am I dumb or what?
The good news is that I got a scrip to have a blood draw for celiac's disease.
Now, all I have to do is talk him into it ... looks like another action figure, eh? :greedy:
I spoke with-husband about the exam and he talked to difficult child. What I have to follow through on is to get husband to take difficult child back at in the next 3 wks and finish the exam. Since we have to go back for boosters anyway, we can do both in one appointment.
These kids aren't easy, ya know?

klmno

Well, Terry, I obviously can't say for sure because I don't know your son, but, when my son started having some changes in that area, he became pretty self-conscience about being examined there, too. actually, I thought it was preferable over him becoming so flattered with himself that he wanted to show everyone!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh yeah, difficult child 1 is VERY private about his privates in the Dr.'s office -- but when he's goofing off and flashing us after a shower, I guess he sees that as o.k.?

He once nailed a doctor in the groin for trying to check below his waistband during a physical. Can't say I didn't warn him...

He got a lot better about that whole thing after going on Lexapro. Still doesn't like it, but at least he doesn't get violent anymore.

Andy

My difficult child is also extra private about his privates. He was super nervous about the doctor's visit. I had to do some pretty fast talking to assure him that this is the doctor's job. We try to teach our kids that private is private and once they get that down, o.k., now physical time. Kind of confusing. :tongue:

Not sure about the action figure - might need two or larger? Plus Ice Cream and a movie with popcorn, a trip to the zoo (Just kidding, just thinking what it would take for me to get a physical and shots! :))

Good luck!

klmno

I talked with difficult child and told him that it was normal to have "involuntary physical reactions" and that all dr's giving exams knew that so not to worry about it if that happened- the dr would not think anything of it. He seemed better after that but has asked me if his future physicals can be given by men dr's instead of women- "unless they are in their early 20's and built really well". I will make sure they are men from now on!

TerryJ2

I know. A lot of men retain that attitude when they're older, then end up dying of prostate cancer when they could have lived much longer. Sigh.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm guessing my difficult child won't have the problem since he loves to flash us and run around naked. Of course, other times when I'm getting the shower turned on for him (he can't do it himself and husband does it most of the time for him) he worries I might be looking at him. I always tell him I'm not and to remember the next time he thinks he is being cute flashing us us!

As for the blood draw thing-my difficult child, of course, loves them. He always asks if he can pick out the biggest needle:rolleyes: