Interesting Parent-Teacher Conference

susiestar

Roll With It
thank you's teacher is doing conferences early. She is expecting a new grandbaby about the time conferences are.

He is still top of his class. She wanted him to show me a new pencil grip. He did NOT want to take everything out of his desk. We pushed, and he did. Then he was putting things in a brown paper bag. Got me curious, he did.

He ran off, curled up on the floor, crying after pulling the bag away from me. I let him go, but told him he had to let me see it.

He was afraid that he was not supposed to have pokemon books at school. When he first started with the cards, and with reading the various books, I told him that if it became a problem at school or ALL he was doing (to the exclusion of other books, kids, schoolwork) that we would have to talk. He knows, however, that I got rid of all the pokemon a long time ago because difficult child was so obsessed.

He had the biggest look of relief on his face when he realized I had NO intention of taking his pokemon away. He had 2 books in his desk that were pokemon - and he was so scared he would be in trouble, that I would take the few things he has that are pokemon.

The teacher was floored - she had NEVER seen anything like that out of thank you. I gave thank you the books and let him keep the pokemon valentines I MADE for him to give out in his desk. They are a good size for bookmarks.

Then I sent thank you and Jess into the hall. I explained the obsession with pokemon, and the violence that we had with difficult child. She has had several aspies in the last few years, so she understood right away the level the obsession can be.

I was amazed that he thought he would get into so much trouble. Makes me wonder what difficult child has told him, now that I think about it.

I am going to have to call difficult child, see what he has said to thank you.

Or it could just be thank you.

Susie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmmmmmm. Yes, very interesting. Do you think thank you is old enough for you to be able to explain why difficult child couldn't handle his obsession with pokemon?

Travis was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Sci fi. TMNT he was never allowed to watch because it made him a karate kicking maniac no matter what I did. He was allowed the figures. Period.

We also went thru Pokemon for years. No violence. Definate obsession. Now it's Anime. *sigh*

Hugs

nvts

Ugh! We went through this with YuGiOh cards, books, posters, etc.

Now we're going through it with Pokemon with difficult child 2. Been looking for a Pokemon calendar since November for 2008 with no luck!

Sometimes it's just a "thing"! We got a lot of reading done with difficult child 1 with the books!

Beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
I still HAVE all MY pokemon cards - whadda you talking about? lol

My favorite is Scyther -

Sounds like you did a fantastic job of deescalating a potentially explosive situation. GOOD JOB WARRIOR MOM!!!!!!

Hugs
Star

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think we could wallpaper our livingroom, diningroom and hall with all the Pokemon and Yugioh cards we've collected over the years... Of course, compulsive husband fed into the difficult child's obession with it -- oooooh! That's a RARE card, be careful with THAT one! Do they have any idea where that one is? No, it's probably at the bottom of a box in the back of a closet somewhere :rolleyes: I think we could've had enough money for a semester of college by now if we'd passed on all that cr@p! AND the Brio/Thomas Train, and Hotwheels collections... wonder what I could get for all that now?

P.S. I just meant by all that rambling that I could relate to the obsessiveness in difficult child's over their favorite things. Right now, it's difficult child 2 and his dang lizards... at least I've got them pared down to 5 now. Last summer it was 12 and climbing.

Marguerite

Weird Al Yankovitch has a song about Pokemon, it names a whole stack of them. difficult child 3 loves it!

Our boys are obsessed with a range of things, including animé. Star Wars, anything computer game, Star Trek (difficult child 1 only) - the list goes on. The scary thing is that difficult child 1, now planning his wedding, was mildly serious about a guard of honour for he and his bride, with either jedi with light sabers, or Imperial Guard... but not going IN to the church, only coming out, when they can relax a bit and have fun.

I'm not sure if it's usual, for a wedding cake to have a Star Wars theme...

Marg