Internet help request...again, sigh.

DDD

easy child/difficult child has given up drinking (YEAH!) and is still having major problems with gout. His SO seems to be important to him but he needs his Mama to help guide his diet. He does know and understand that he needs to avoid seafood and bacon, limit his beef/pork/chicken. What his question du jour is "What can I drink other than water because it says fructose is a trigger for my gout?"

He is drinking MIO to save money. It comes in alot of flavors and mixes with regular water. I "tried" to find out what the fructose content might be but...I failed. Could you smart young things find out the answer? He honestly is trying to be good but he's gone to the ER three times in two weeks and is taking three medications (yep, we allow him to use our account at the Pharmacy) to cut back on the pain. Help
family. Thanks. DDD

Calamity Jane

Hi DDD,
I don't think Mio has fructose. Went on Kraft's website, under FAQs on Mio:

• What is MiO?
    MiO is a revolutionary liquid water enhancer. Available in six flavors, MiO
    lets discerning consumers make up to 24 8 fl oz. drinks exactly as they like. By
    adding as little (or as much!) MiO as desired, one can enjoy a customized
    beverage each and every time. MiO isn't just a new drink; it's a new way to
    think about drinking altogether. MiO debuted in March 2011 and is now available
    in the drink mix aisle of grocers nationwide.
  • How do I use MiO?
    Flip it. Open the spill-proof lid. Tip it. Each squeeze into water adds more
    flavor. Sip it. Revel in the joy of
    customized drinking.
  • I wish you would come out with [INSERT FLAVOR
    HERE]!
    When it comes to cool flavor ideas, our cup runneth over. We are constantly
    exploring new options and plan to expand upon our initial flavor lineup in the
    near future.
  • Does MiO contain lots of sugar?
    MiO is sweetened with acesulfame potassium and sucralose, a calorie-free,
    artificial sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar.
  • Sucralose? Acesulfame potassium? They sound
    frightening.
    Don't let the long names scare you. Sucralose is a calorie-free, artificial
    sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar. Both sucralose and acesulfame
    potassium, the sweeteners in MiO, are recognized as safe by the Food and Drug
    Administration (FDA) for the general population, including pregnant women and
    children. For specific health questions, we always recommend checking with your
    doctor for advice.
  • Does MiO contain caffeine?
    No. MiO is a completely caffeine-free product. And that goes for our Tea
    varieties as well.
  • Is MiO safe for diabetics to drink?
    People with diabetes should always consult their physician, Registered
    Dietitian, or Certified Diabetes Educator to evaluate how certain foods can fit
    into their meal plan. MiO can be an excellent beverage option for people living
    with diabetes because all flavors contain 0g of carbohydrate per serving and are
    considered a free exchange.

• Is it safe for children to drink MiO?
    It's always wise to check with your children's pediatrician for medical
    advice, but the ingredients in MiO are recognized as safe for the general
    population. Children included.
  • Is it ok to drink straight from the
    container?
    MiO must be diluted. It is a highly concentrated liquid for use in flavoring
    water.
  • Can you recycle the MiO bottle?
    The MiO bottle is recyclable in communities that recycle #7 plastics. On
    behalf of the planet, we thank you in advance!
  • In what countries is MiO available?
    MiO is currently only available within the United States.
  • How long is MiO good after it has been opened?
    Does it need refrigeration?
    MiO should be used within 30 days after opening or as indicated by an
    expiration date on the packaging. MiO does not require refrigeration, so don't
    leave home without it.
  • Can you freeze MiO?
    We don't suggest you freeze MiO as it may damage the container. MiO-flavored
    ice cubes, on the other hand, are a super idea.

witzend

I like sparkling water with lemon flavor, like lemon Perrier or lemon Calistoga. It has no sugar in it, but it has that nice bubble of beer or soda.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
He doesn't by any chance care for organ meats such as liver......or even those type luncheon meats does he? They'll bring it on terribly.

I found something from the mayo clinic that might help. I'm not sure if his doctor really gave him any details as far as diet is concerned.........as honestly, patient education isn't always what it is supposed to be these days.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout-diet/MY01137

DDD

Thanks. I guess the question then becomes is sucralose and fructose in the same family? CJ I'm going to print your post and let him ask his Dr. He doesn't eat any organ meats, Hound, but thanks for asking. I'm off to work. Later. DDD