Introducing myself ..

Hi I am new here . My name is heather . Im a single mommy of 2 children but I am here for my son Hunter and some support . Hunter is 5 years old and has the following diagnosis .
Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) - not otherwise specified
Beahvior Disorder
ADHD Combined type
Sensory Processing disorder

Hunter is very very oral and needs alot of oral stimulation . He chews EVERYTHING! Including wires . Scares me that he will bite the plugged in cord! I mean when I say everything I mean everything . he chews apart his cars and trucks .. he takes things apart and destroys everything . Does anyone have any advice on this matter ? I have tried chewys and vibrating teething ring . I dont know what to do anymore . Then of course he is very very hyper . He hits , kicks , screams , stomps , this is just part of Hunter's issues .

Thank You!
Heather

BusynMember

Is he getting a lot of interventions through the school district or in the community? My son had that diagnosis, although it seems like he actually climbing up the spectrum. Still, I understand where you're coming from. It should get better as he gets older.
You may have to be sure, just like you do with toddlers, that nothing dangerous is around the house. Maybe gum will help? My son used to chew on his fist. That was, at least, safe. He has stopped that now. These kids tend to get better with age, especially with the right sort of help. Is he getting Speech, Occupational Therapist (OT), PT? Tell us a little more about him.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Hi Heather and welcome.
Has the doctor made any suggestions?
Have the professionals suggested evaluating him for Sensory Integration issues? I can only imagine how worrisome it is for him to be chewing on wires and toys.

M

ML

Welcome Heather! I have a 10 year old difficult child whom I call manster who has similar stuff going on. I definitely agree that it does get easier as they get older. I remember how exhausting those years were when you couldn't let them out of your sight. Actually now the problem is he won't let *me* out of *his* sight lol.

I'm glad you found us.

ML

Marguerite

I was going to suggest a teething ring, but you're already trying that. Have you got one of the rubbery ones on a string round his neck? That's what we did, when my son was 11. He'd been chewing his clothes, the furniture, his bedding, his fingernails, his toenails, his skin - everything. When he eats his food, he eats what you don't expect. For exampe when eating any meat with bones, he eats most of the bones too. If I cook roast chicken I leave leftovers in the fridge. difficult child 3 will get a chicken wing or drumstick and eat it, and then chew the bones until there's only a shard left. Usually there's no bones left at all, if he had the wing.
A lamb chop - most of the bone will be eaten. The bone will be split and the marrow completely chewed away.

I have foud he has improved as he gets older, also having a lot more bones with his food have seemed to reduce the chewing, he's getting the stimulation through his food instead. But I also hung a silicone teething ring round his neck on a ribbon, so when he found himself beginning to chew his clothes he could fish the teething ring from under his shirt and chew that instead.

We tried chewing gum, but he would then stick it under tables, to his bedpost, or just leave it lying around. Not acceptable.

It's not an easy one, but lateral thinking can help.

In summer, plenty of ice cubes can help also.

You can't discipline them out of it, they NEED to chew, like a teething puppy. So you give plenty of 'legal' ways to satisfy this urge.

Alsos I strongly urge you to get your hands on a fabulous book, "The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene. It's not a cure, but it helps a lot in how you cope.

Marg