Intuitive eating anyone?

BusynMember

I get on these obsessive kicks and start reading and youtubing one topic until nothing is left of it and my latest obsession is eating styles, eating disorders, food.

I have learned by doing this that I would never want to go vegan (I got bloated and too much information but gassy on it and gained weight plus I dont like vegan food). I also learned that at the very least, online vegans (I am sure not this happens in real life) are almost like an angry religious cult and wave a fist at you if you dont think veganism is the way to go. This is also a popular diet for those who had eating disorders. Or do. Although not all had or do. Couldnt help venting about the fanatacism though. It got me rather irrate.

Meat eaters dont post much unless they were vegans who quit and then they tell you why and you can imagine the clashes. Whoaaa!

Intermittant fasters, post a lot and like me, are not normally food restrictive and I feel they are reasonable. The exceptions are those who believe you must go KETO or its no good. That has not been my experience at all. I dont like food restriction for myself.

All this conflict about food and food problems had me wondering what I should eat. It seems to be opinion.

I like something called intuitive eating which is listening to your own body and eating what agrees with it. I do best with a little of all, not tons of meat but not tons of carbs either, and dairy agrees with me ALOT and I love the taste of cheese, yogurt, etc. Eggs are good and dont affect my cholestral. When I eat wrong my body rebels. So I do what I can. The only thing I restrict is cane sugar and unhealthy stuff. Rarely touch french fries or fried anything or sugary sweets or white bread. Mostly all else.

I dont like to worry about what I eat or plan it in advance.

I am still around the weight I like and am not going to starve myself for five more pounds.

I still eat one 1000 calorie meal a day and feel good on it.

Maybe intuitive eating is best. After all, none of us are the same. We know how good we feel. Or not.

Just my thoughts. A vent :)

I totally dont care how other people eat. Have no idea why anyone would care what I eat.

Last edited:

Tired out

Here is my confession... I went to WW and weighed in..still 9.5 below goal weight..went through Chick-filet drive through and brought dinner home..LOL.. I get sugar free lemonade, 8 piece nuggets and waffle fries (gasp) about 5 fries taste good and no more. That was my splurge. I enjoy chick-filet about 1x/month.
Last Saturday I went back to my regular daily menu and I feel best when I stick with that.

My mother's mantra about food (and life) Everything in moderation.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I do my best to eat a very clean diet. I go to a local butcher to purchase my meat and prefer fresh vegetables but will use frozen if I'm in time crunch. I avoid processed food, white flour and sugar, my drink of choice is water, it has probably been over 10 years the last time I had a soda.
All that being said, I think it's okay to have a "cheat" or "free" day once a month. Also, during the holidays when there are treats at every turn, go ahead and have a cookie or piece of fudge, just don't eat the whole plate.
I can always tell when I've eaten something with too much sugar as I don't feel "well", I feel bloated and lethargic.

My mom was one of those that said "you are what you eat" - she cooked only from scratch. I didn't know what boxed cereal was until I spent the night at a friends house and when I asked my mom if we could have that too, the answer was no, there is too much sugar and preservatives in that stuff.

I saw this once on Facebook and thought there is some real truth about it.
upload_2018-12-13_8-15-37.png

BusynMember

But you arent restricting food groups.

Not eating chocolate cake wont make ya unhealthy ;p or flour. I think leaving out food groups is not for me.

Tanya M

Staff member
I restrict the insect food group, yup, there is no way I'm eating grubs, or spiders on a stick. I've seen shows on what they eat in some countries, nope, not gonna do it. :tongue:

Lil

Do you know there's never been a food recall of Chocolate Cake. Not ever. They recall vegetables all the time.

Something to think about. :tongue:

Copabanana

Lil. I cannot lose weight at more than 1000 kcal and even then have a really hard time. I will lose weight at 500-700 kcal. My way of thinking is that it is better for me to bite the bullet and take the weight off (in my case 10 lbs) and then stabilize at 1000-1200 kcal. The alternative would be to be struggling forever. I don't want my nutrition to be a battleground. Better to do what is effective and can be accomplished in a tolerable interval.

I had the most success with intermittent fasting but with a low calorie count (under 700) and small eating window: 6 hours. But that said, it's hard to sustain.

I lost weight quick with keto but only in the beginning, first three weeks. I lost 6 pounds. But the weight loss stalled. I do not think keto is healthy for me but lower carb is: No white anything, no refined foods, no sweets, no simple carbs. Limited, if any fruit. But all the meat on keto was not good. I am greatly upping vegetables.

I'm now doing WW. (Focus on veg, Greek yogurt, a few nuts and small amount of good protein.) I'm trying to stop eating at 2pm and I'm trying to keep calories below 1000 at the very most. Even with this I will be surprised if I lose weight.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Lil I was told that being a midget of merely five feet tall 1000 calories is fine for me. I have a small build too and probably ate around 1000-1200 calories most of my life. I get filled up too much if I eat much more.

Most people do not experience the joy (major sarcasm here) of being the size of your average ten year old. Yes, my grandson is actually taller than me at ten years old.

You cant eat as much when you can barely reach the second shelf of your kitchen cabinet wirhout the aid of a stool or ladder.

Tanya M

Staff member
@SomewhereOutThere makes a really good point. Not everyone is the same size therefore nutritional needs would be different.
Think of someone (like SWOT) that is 5' and small build compared to Shaquil Oneal.

Also, each persons metabolism is unique. I take thyroid medication because all the radiation I received when I had cancer screwed up my thyroid. In my younger years, weight was never an issue but when my thyroid slowed down I started putting some weight on.
The opposite is also true. I have co-worker who is 5' 7" and weighs 90 pounds. She has an over active thyroid and struggles to keep weight on. She has to eat crazy amounts of food.

All this talk of food has made me hungry.
:picnic:

Lil

You cant eat as much when you can barely reach the second shelf of your kitchen cabinet wirhout the aid of a stool or ladder.

Very true. I, personally, can touch the 8' ceiling in my kitchen! I changed the light bulbs in the ceiling fixture the other day without a ladder. :laugh: You'd come to about my armpit. :) At my very slimmest, which certainly is more than you weigh now...and of course more than I should weigh or I wouldn't have been trying to lose, the lowest I've ever had a doctor tell me to eat was 1,500...ever.

I was surprised mostly because you aren't trying to lose and are quite active. I'd think you'd burn more than that. 1,200 is the lowest MyFitnessPal allows daily. But, the less you weigh, the less you have to have to maintain that weight.

BusynMember

I eat 1000 and dont gain if I stick to that but I am always on my feet. I am too hyper to sit. Even watching TV I pace and check my fitbit. It is not a good trait, but I have trouble just sitting to relax.

I would love to be tall. I hate not being able to reach anything and having my pants always too long. But I come from a family of some very short people. Bart is 5'11. That makes him a giant :)

My grandson is very tall for his age but his mother is six feet tall. And her entire family is big. Mostly he inherited from Bart, including being a brainiacc (Bart is very intelligent; J is too and actually gets the straight A's that Bart could have gotten, but fortunately J inherited his height from her.

Last edited:

elizabrary

Well, I'm overweight and undertall :D and I'm a vegetarian. I'm not vegan because I still eat cheese, and if eggs are in things I don't worry about it. I became vegetarian about 8 years ago mostly because I'm such an animal lover and it bothered me, so I just quit eating meat or fish. I love carbs and could eat potatoes and bread all the time, so I have to watch that. I also have a very nasty sweet tooth and will eat any baked good or candy that comes my way. The good things that have happened with my vegetarian diet are that my bad cholesterol dropped significantly and my good increased. I eat bad stuff like french fries and chips sometimes but becoming vegetarian made me eat a greater variety of veggies more often. I found out I love beets. And I love all types of fruit. I mean really, I guess I love food. And I'm not great at portion control. So my diet is a vegetarian who eats whatever she wants. And I'm not a Nazi about being vegetarian. That's my choice and I don't judge what others eat. In fact, it makes me super uncomfortable when I go out to eat with someone and they ask if it's OK if they order meat. WTH?

Copabanana

My mother was swots size 5' and ate the same as swot (1000 kcal) her whole life and my grandma was 4'8" and ate even less. Maybe she ate 850 to 900 calories. Both were very active. (It's easy to figure it out even this many years later because both of them ate practically the same foods every day at the same time of day. )

Which I think is key. To figure out what is healthy, what your needs are, and what you can eat without gaining. And then eat that. We eat too much. The key is not dieting. The key is eating what you need and stopping.

BusynMember

Heh. Good for you!

I tried vegan for a short time but I really dont like fruit or veggies much and cant stand the smell/texture of beans and gained weight by eating vegan junk food.

I love love love love animals, all animals, and my husband says I give all my money away on animal rescues. I could never eat a cow from my own farm and I hate animal cruelty. But if I ate vegan, I would become very unhealthy. I just cant eat vegan food without meat or my favorite, dairy.

So......it wont work for me.

I LOL at the idea of asking a vegan if its okay to eat meat.

Last edited:

Tired out

Even watching TV I pace and check my fitbit. It is not a good trait, but I have trouble just sitting to relax.
We could be besties! I get board sitting.
I hope WW works for you. I do very well with points. I don't know the calories of my days just the points. I try to always have a protein with each meal, egg, chicken or turkey. I have fish 1-2 x/week and beef usually 1x.
Interesting- every vegan person I have ever known is overweight. There are 3 gals in my WW group that are vegan and they are struggling more than anyone there.