Intuniv--long acting guanficine

jannie

trying to survive....
Hi All-

My difficult child just started to take Intuniv, which is long acting guanficine-with benefits. It is supposed to target impulsivity, agitation, frustration, activity level, and even help with attention. I believe it is also supposed to help with tics. We're starting it slowly 1 week at 1 mg, one week at 2 mg and than 3 mg--with an ideal dosage somewhere between 3 and 4 mg. My doctor is hoping that once intuniv is on board, we should be able to reduce the abilify. It's too early to tell if I've seen benefits, but I' wondering if anyone else has tried it.

We have reduced the abilify about 2.g mg and I think he's been a bit more cranky and frustrated. I think that the intuniv may be safer long run compared to the abilify.

smallworld

Hi Jannie, how are you? Long time, no see.

You might want to take a look at the thread, "what does mania look like?" There is discussion about Intuniv there.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'll be interested to hear how it works for you, as well.

We're trying Namenda right now for focus and attention issues. Impulsivity is not so bad right now, but forgetfulness is. I've already reduced the Seroquel evening dose by 100mg and it seems to be okay. May even try reducing it another 100mg in another week if all goes well...

busywend

Guanfacine is also Tenex, right?

This really helped with difficult children moodiness. It is a medication for blood pressure - so it has to be given the same time every day. It made difficult child sleepy which helped counter the 'up all night' Adderall affect. I gave it at night.