Is anyone else...

mstang67chic

Going Green
...exasperated with people? I've been watching reports of rescues from Ike over the past couple of days and find myself talking to the people on tv. Before I go on, I want to say that I realize there were many people that COULDN'T leave before Ike hit. I know this, I do. BUT.....I also believe that a good number of these people COULD HAVE left but chose not to. Then they turn around and stand there on national tv talking about how scared they were, how their kids were floating around the living room in life vests, blah blah blah, but they didn't think it would be that bad.

Are they INSANE????? Do they not remember Katrina? Authorities TOLD them, "this will be devastating. GET OUT". What is more plain than that?????

And the rescuers....God bless them. But they are sometimes risking their own lives to help people that chose to stay. (Again, there were people that couldn't leave and I'm not at all referring to them.) Don't get me wrong, I'm very sorry for the ones who didn't make it and I'm glad it wasn't worse than it was. But I just can't help thinking that some of these people are just flipping idiots.

Sorry....backing down off my soapbox now.

busywend

Storms are so unpredictable. I would HATE to be responsible for choosing who gets evacuated and who I make stay put so the others can get out faster.

I think the wrong area was evacuated, or at least there was an area that should have been, but wasn't.

I think it is horrible that people refused to leave. If they want to risk their own life, that is one thing. But, to ignore the evacuation and then expect someone to save you - or even bring you some water....that is just plain rude. I am sure every situation is different. I am sure someone could convince me why they had to stay.

I heard tonight even the rescue crews were saying they were not getting food and water. It is just all so sad and scary.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well........I have lived through and survived

Andrew and Hugo.....I couldn't leave for either - no money for gas.
So we 'toughed it out. I had catfish swimming in my den when Andrew came in. Lived in FL. WHen Hugo came through I was in SC. No food, lights, water, - 7 days trapped in our home. Not fun. Trees everywhere.

I've lived through an F2 tornado, and lived to tell about it.

I've survived 1 earthquake - it was not so bad.

I've survived (1) 100 yr. flood (lived on the COngaree river) and survive another flood from another Hurricane....Came home and found the puppy treading water in the basement trying to get to the 2nd floor.

I've been hit 7 times by drunks, 2 more times by non-drunks.

My home has burned to the ground once, and burned the back rooms off once.

I survived a torturous and abusive marriage.

I survived a difficult child.....

So if you think - that someone telling me "THIS WILL BE DEVASTATING YOU NEED TO GET OUT NOW." won't move me? YOU ARE WRONG SISTER....I"M SO OUTTA THERE.

There is too much technology and information today to NOT heed a warning or at least get to a police station and say I WANT OUT I have children and pets, I can't afford to leave WHAT can I do.

everywoman

What many people don't understand about living on the coast is that from July to December, during hurricane season, you are constantly on guard. You see the weather reports updated, we see them constantly, all day long. We have about 5 a year on the SC coast. Two weeks before, when the storm starts forming off of Africa, until the time it hits the US, we are blasted with reports. Most of the time, they are wrong about strike zones and impact. Sometimes they are right. Anyone around here would stay for a Cat. 2 and "ride" it out. A 3 or better, and most of the people in my town would move inland, but not too far. Once you are out, if it is bad, you are out for a long time. You can't get back in. You are cut off from friends and family. Many businesses in my town are locally owned. There aren't a lot of chains. It doesn't make sense, I know, but you become complacent. Then a Katrina, an Ike, a Hugo hits and you think, I'll never stay again. But it's been almost 19 years since Hugo. SC hasn't had a hard hit since then. Most of the people I know don't remember or have forgotten what it was like. The kids I teach now don't know about water up to the gym ceiling in McClellanville. Even watching the news today, the kids said, "Wow, that much damage from Ike. I thought it was a 2."

DammitJanet

It really all depends on exactly where you live. If your area is already below sea level and subject to flooding from normal rains if they hit on a high tide at a full moon...well good lord...LEAVE! Everywoman has to know how Garden City SC gets...that place floods if someone sneezes heavy! I might be more apt to ride out a cat two in Myrtle Beach proper because it is a bit higher in actual land mass.

Hugo was a freak.

The one thing tha really got me with the people being evacuated was the people who were found on top of their homes and the people trying to come help them were being lowered from copters with those litters. One lady was hitting these guys saying she refused to be rescued. She wanted to stay with her house! Ok...fine. Stay with your drowned out house, drowned out car, no water and food, no power...and no one can tell you when any of this will get to you...but dont call us back to help...last chance! I hope they find her bag of bones. Stupid.

F

flutterbee

Mstngchick, I am so there with you. I get so frustrated with the people that just flat out refused to leave and then expect to be rescued. It's one thing if you want to endanger your own life; more power to you. But, to endanger the lives of your children and rescuers out of sheer stubbornness or stupidity is just flat out wrong. Not only that, I resent the taxpayers footing the bill to rescue these people. I'm not saying to let them go. I just think that a mandatory evacuation should mean just that - mandatory. Period.

That said, there was an interesting article on msnbc.com before Ike hit about what we can learn from Cuba when it comes to hurricanes and evacuations. I mean, Ike hit them twice, was a stronger storm (Cat 3 or 4?) and 4 people died.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26647041/

Now, I could stand on this soap box for days, but I'll step down now.